Discussion Winter Olympics 2022

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just thought I would bump this topic to see if there's any interest in the upcoming 2020 Tokyo Olympics (no typo, despite it being 2021). At least these games will be in a decent time zone for once, with a lot of key events likely to be in the evenings, but I expect the lack of crowds will likely ruin the atmosphere a bit. Maybe Japan has better technology than we do for dealing with this...

The initial events were held today, despite the opening ceremony not being held until Friday. Australia v Japan in the softball was the opening event, the match ended up being decided by the mercy rule - Japan were leading by 7 runs which is all that is needed (Japan won 8-1). Hopefully it's a better result for the Aussies in the next event with a women's football (soccer) match against the Kiwis on Channel 7 at 9:30 tonight.

In future Olympics news, Brisbane have just been confirmed as hosts of the 2032 games. As they were the only bidder, no real surprises there.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just thought I would bump this topic to see if there's any interest in the upcoming 2020 Tokyo Olympics (no typo, despite it being 2021). At least these games will be in a decent time zone for once, with a lot of key events likely to be in the evenings, but I expect the lack of crowds will likely ruin the atmosphere a bit. Maybe Japan has better technology than we do for dealing with this...

The initial events were held today, despite the opening ceremony not being held until Friday. Australia v Japan in the softball was the opening event, the match ended up being decided by the mercy rule - Japan were leading by 7 runs which is all that is needed (Japan won 8-1). Hopefully it's a better result for the Aussies in the next event with a women's football (soccer) match against the Kiwis on Channel 7 at 9:30 tonight.

In future Olympics news, Brisbane have just been confirmed as hosts of the 2032 games. As they were the only bidder, no real surprises there.
Yeah just checked the tv guide and saw that football match is on at 9:30pm tonight. Definitely worth a look.

The Age is predicting 16 gold medals for Australia. That seems like a lot but would absolutely love to see it. The predicted 16 gold are:

BMX freestyle• Logan Martin (men's park)
Canoe slalom• Jessica Fox (women's C1) • Jessica Fox (women's K1)
Rowing• Women's fours
Sailing• Matthew Wearn (men's laser)
Shooting• James Willett, Laetisha Scanlan (mixed team trap)
Surfing• Sally Fitzgibbons (women's shortboard)
Swimming• Kaylee McKeown (women's 100m backstroke) • Kaylee McKeown (women's 200m backstroke) • Kaylee McKeown (women's 200m individual medley) • Emma McKeon (women's 100m freestyle) • Ariarne Titmus (women's 200m freestyle) • Australia (women's 4 x 100m freestyle relay) • Australia (mixed 4 x 100m mixed relay) • Elijah Winnington (men's 400m freestyle) • Cate Campbell (women's 50m freestyle)

So 9 of the 16 are in swimming (and almost all in women's swimming). They have Ash Barty winning silver. No reason she couldn't win gold though.

Philzsay

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
FYI Have moved this to a new thread, we will leave in the SC area where more people will see it and then move it back to the general discussion area after the Olympics have ended.

Looking forward to the Games, given whats happening at the moment it will be a welcome to be able to focus on something else!

AFL Club
Carlton
Hopefully they actually show athletes from other countries this time and not just countless repeat after repeat of what the Australian's do.
I find they're better at this during the summer Olympics (which has more/more obvious blue ribbon events that hold interest regardless of who's in them). The winter Olympics was an absolute shambles in this regard, since most viewers don't have a clue about most of the sports. Or at least that's probably channel 7's interpretation.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I find they're better at this during the summer Olympics (which has more/more obvious blue ribbon events that hold interest regardless of who's in them). The winter Olympics was an absolute shambles in this regard, since most viewers don't have a clue about most of the sports. Or at least that's probably channel 7's interpretation.
Give it a few nights , especially with the swimming starting Saturday.

Replay after replay after replay gets very monotonous.

It's actually nice seeing some different sports that I wouldn't normally follow.

Past Olympics from memory if the Australian's are not featuring (or no chance of a medal), it just gets a token passing mention if at all.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was the Sweden v USA game televised ?

Swedes won 3 nil
It wasn't on free to air TV. It might have been on 7 plus, I see that's advertised as being 40+ channels, I'll probably give that a go over the weekend and hopefully at least one of those 40 will not just be another replay of the swimming...

AFL Club
Brisbane
I just checked my set box... 9 new channels all dedicated to the Olympics. Think the next few weeks are going to be an awesome time to be in summer holiday.

Great seeing the Matilda win v Kiwis tonight. Woo hoo!!!

AFL Club
West Coast
If anyone is interested in value:

- Men’s Volleyball Winner. Brazil is $5 to win (Poland $3.50 fav) (on LB)

Brazil way overpriced in my opinion - #1 in the world only recently comprehensively beat Poland in the VNL (Volleyball Nations League) (I follow vball)

- Barty is also $4.50 to win the tennis

Combine the 2, you have a base of $22.5 to multi your other $1.17 & $1.20 skinny legs off 😛

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was just looking through other results from yesterday, and came across an interesting score. Zambia scored 3 goals which you would expect might be good for a win in the soccer, at worst a draw. Nope. They lost 10-3 to the Netherlands.

Today's events for those interested are Women's softball (3 matches including Australia v Italy at 4PM), Men's football (8 matches including Australia v Argentina at 8:30PM) and official training in Air Pistol and Air Rifle (starts 10AM, on for most of the day).

AFL Club
Sydney
I love the Olympics, real shame about the crowds, but most people in Japan don't even want the games to be on.

Bit vanilla, but I love the events the pool and on the track. Team sports or sports that have a big championship elsewhere I tend to be less interested in (golf, tennis, etc.).

AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah just checked the tv guide and saw that football match is on at 9:30pm tonight. Definitely worth a look.

The Age is predicting 16 gold medals for Australia. That seems like a lot but would absolutely love to see it. The predicted 16 gold are:

BMX freestyle• Logan Martin (men's park)
Canoe slalom• Jessica Fox (women's C1) • Jessica Fox (women's K1)
Rowing• Women's fours
Sailing• Matthew Wearn (men's laser)
Shooting• James Willett, Laetisha Scanlan (mixed team trap)
Surfing• Sally Fitzgibbons (women's shortboard)
Swimming• Kaylee McKeown (women's 100m backstroke) • Kaylee McKeown (women's 200m backstroke) • Kaylee McKeown (women's 200m individual medley) • Emma McKeon (women's 100m freestyle) • Ariarne Titmus (women's 200m freestyle) • Australia (women's 4 x 100m freestyle relay) • Australia (mixed 4 x 100m mixed relay) • Elijah Winnington (men's 400m freestyle) • Cate Campbell (women's 50m freestyle)

So 9 of the 16 are in swimming (and almost all in women's swimming). They have Ash Barty winning silver. No reason she couldn't win gold though.
Got Titmus beating Ledecky in the 200 fly there... tough call, but I suppose Ledecky will be swimming the 1500m final in the same session :unsure:

AFL Club
Fremantle
Barty $6 on unibet, they've given me 1 x 10% boost every day for the olympics as well. So got $6.60.

Netherlands women in the field hockey and USA in the womens water polo would be good anchors for any multis as well.