Opinion Player X vs. Player Y

Darkie

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Collingwood
It appears that I may have the honour of starting the X vs Y thread this year (my first thread, after nearly five years!).

I'll kick things off with a simple one:

Whitfield + $28k vs Simpson?

Darkie

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Collingwood
In 2019, Whitfield will be a 25yo nearing his peak and Simpson will be a 35yo, hmmm, Whitfield for me.
Thanks mate - when you put it like that ... !

Simpson is incredibly durable and I think I'd back him narrowly to out-average Whitfield, but considering price and age I'm now erring on Whitfield as well.

Darkie

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd have to say Brayshaw. Younger, hasn't missed two years with injuries, and finished the year much better, as well as averaging more. His price is obviously higher as a result, but at this price point you're clearly picking these guys as keepers, so their ability to score at a top level becomes more important, and price somewhat less so.

For what it's worth there are others that I prefer around that price bracket - they might be worth a look. Zorko and Merrett are both very durable, have scored at premium level before, but are cheaper than they've been in some time because they couldn't deal with tags early in the year. They seemed to address this to varying degrees, and both have new teammates who may or may not help with future attention (Shiel and Neale, albeit Beams has left Brisbane as well). If you can get comfortable with the tag risk, I think they could be ahead of those who have to improve further to break into the premium category.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
Macrae Vs Titchell
Gee, I like them both. If I had to choose one, (only a minor reason), it would be Mitchell, as I think he is less likely to miss games. Macrae had a hamstring injury this year, it may occur again?

Darkie

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Collingwood
Macrae Vs Titchell
Mitchell by a fair way for me.

Last year they averaged similarly, with an injury game for Macrae. Call it square, albeit Mitchell played more games.

Macrae' second best year is 107, then 100 and 100.

For Mitchell it's 119, then 105 and 104.

Mitchell has also played three years straight of 22 games, whereas Macrae has only managed one full season.

Worth flagging that both have changes in personnel in their midfields this year, and that both teams tend to rotateplayers through their mids - which predominantly represents downside risk for the very top scorers.

I recently added Mitchell though, and am reasonably comfortable with him overall.

Last edited:

Darkie

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Collingwood
Treloar is more consistent and durable, feels like less risk of headaches with him based on history. Arguably Beams has only delivered acceptable premium output (considering average and games played) twice in his career.

Beams' return to Collingwood could obviously have an impact on either, but without knowing Beams' role at Brisbane well, I would have thought he is more likely to lose midfield minutes (spend more time up forward) vs last year than Treloar.

Last edited:

TopBillings

AFL Club
St Kilda
Grundy, Gawn, Whitfield, Libba & Roberton
V
Goldy, Kreuzer, Blakely, Oliver & Witherden

IDIG

AFL Club
Essendon
It appears that I may have the honour of starting the X vs Y thread this year (my first thread, after nearly five years!).

Before Doc going down, I would’ve said Whitfield by a long way but now it’s much closer.

I’d probably still go Whitfield + cash but I think Simpson is going to be undervalued and hold some decent pod value. He’s as durable as they come and almost unfortunately for Carlton, will need to play a major role again if they’re going to be competitive.

Who are your other top end premiums out of interest? I feel like Laird will be one because I know how you value durability and historical scoring.

Ricky Bobby

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Melbourne
Slightly different price points, but : Z Williams v Blakely v Birchall ? ( an interesting combination of youth, experience, return from injury and new roll/opportunity)

Manikato1

150 Games Club
AFL Club
West Coast
Slightly different price points, but : Z Williams v Blakely v Birchall ? ( an interesting combination of youth, experience, return from injury and new roll/opportunity)
If it were me I would play if safe and go Williams. For guys like Birchall who have a history or injuries but can score way above their listed price I would ask - do you have an escape plan if it goes pear shaped. If you have a plan B that you think will be a good fall back then the risk is perhaps not so great.

Bomber18

AFL Club
Essendon

Early thoughts, but with Shiel departing, I can see Whitfield copping a tag at some point and dropping sub 500k - could be a better one to target as a trade in. Simpson is priced at his maximum I think but probably can go 100 again without Doch in the side. Definitely a risk of missing more games at 35 though.

I probably prefer Laird to these guys (who I noticed you didn't have in your RMT). He's not much more than Simmo and usually starts his seasons better than he finishes.

Ricky Bobby

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Melbourne
If it were me I would play if safe and go Williams. For guys like Birchall who have a history or injuries but can score way above their listed price I would ask - do you have an escape plan if it goes pear shaped. If you have a plan B that you think will be a good fall back then the risk is perhaps not so great.
At the moment I have Birchall at D4. Escape plan would probably involve dropping him down to a rookie, but this will obviously depend on the quality and depth of Defence rookies named for R1

Manikato1

150 Games Club
AFL Club
West Coast
At the moment I have Birchall at D4. Escape plan would probably involve dropping him down to a rookie, but this will obviously depend on the quality and depth of Defence rookies named for R1
The upside in recent seasons has been that Def Rookies have proven to be good point scorers especially the mature rookies. If it goes this way again next year then at least you may have a suitable backup position. How many on field def rookies are you thinking of having?

Ricky Bobby

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Melbourne
The upside in recent seasons has been that Def Rookies have proven to be good point scorers especially the mature rookies. If it goes this way again next year then at least you may have a suitable backup position. How many on field def rookies are you thinking of having?
Too early to tell to be honest, but I would be comfortable with 3 good ones on field if available.
I’m much happier with Def rookies on field than Fwd rookies ( where I like to keep it to 1 or 2 max if possible)