Opinion Player X vs. Player Y

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fyfe vs macrea vs neale? Pick one and why
(Other mids cripps, Dunkley, danger and Oliver)
I’ve currently gone fyfe
Neale for me.

They are all similarly priced, and similar scoring so can't choose based on that. I prefer using their reliability history to decide. Neale has missed 2 games in 6 years. Macrae has 2/4 seasons with 22 games, has missed 7 games in the other 2. Fyfe hasn't played every game in a season in his 10 year career.

AFL Club
Essendon
Agreed with Leroy. Worpel is a gun but Mitchell back will likely affect his scoring a bit.
Worpel played something like 8 games his first season, but averaged 97 last year in his first 'full' season. Mitchell may start slow due to his leg injury and I'm sure the Hawks won't be providing Mitchell a full load straight away. I think Worpel will still begin the year with his fair share of opportunity to win his own footy inside before Mitchell slowly works his way back to No.1 guy type role. In saying that, Worpel still may be worth a look as the Bulldogs can make it work, SuperCoach scoring wise, for 3 mids.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Care to have a go at explaining the Doedee rationale to me mate? I’m just not seeing it, 20 odd games and coming back from an ACL, no sample scoring in 6/6/6, seems to be fairly prominent considering all that so I’m not sure if I’m missing something.
I'm probably not Doedee's biggest advocate, but he's on my shortlist. I've actually had Roberton ahead of him, but was considering switching as more info has come to light. I think the key positives for me are:

- Structurally I quite like having one player around that price point in defence and the forward line, so long as there's a decent candidate. Mid pricers work best there, often because a DEF or FWD eligible player gets a better role, and because the threshold for premium scoring is lower.

- I was erring on Roberton because he's more proven, which obviously hasn't changed. This is usually my tendency.

- Another poster pointed out that Doedee had an injury affected game in 2018, which I hadn't previously realised. If you take this out, he averaged a little over 85. That's very good going for his first year and I'd be surprised if he doesn't have much better than that in him (given it was his first year), the question is whether it is this year.

- I don't have a strong view on the ACL impact at this stage, but that's obviously key. With that said, the year on year natural improvement would usually be highest in year two, which is essentially what he's going into. He's had the benefit of last year's pre season, and potentially this year's as well, so I think expecting improvement makes sense ex the ACL impact. Last year he scored 56 from 27% TOG in his only game. It's an extremely small sample, but nonetheless a positive indicator.

- The sixth best def averaged 98. I think that's actually high versus history, and I would bet against Hurn, Houli and maybe others backing it up. Doedee would "only" need to improve 15% to be scoring at top def level, and he's an obvious lock if you think he will do this (given his discounted price). That's not what I'm expecting, but it is a useful comparison in my view. If he improves by, say, half that then he'd be close enough to a top def to not be worth trading for the sixth best option (say a 91 average vs a 98 average would be around 77 points I find you upgraded him mid year - and a trade is worth more than that). He then gives you $260k of loose change, which is enormous.

- Alternately, if he averages 85, his price will likely get to $425k in the end, or $400k in pretty good time. That's $126k of cash generation even if he doesn't improve at all, which is better than what most of our rookies will likely generate.

So essentially he's a good young player who has already been not too far off keeper level, with an extra preseason or two and some natural improvement in his favour, plus a very cheap price that creates a lot of loose change. Alternately he's a pretty good cash cow (just with another $100k or so invested generating a reasonable return, in a points sense). His fitness is obviously a key risk and something to watch.

What are your thoughts? Is there another mid pricer you prefer, or are you avoiding them down back?

Last edited:

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’ve currently gone fyfe
If you could somehow be guaranteed that Fyfe would play 22 full games, I'd say him for the captain value. Given that that's not the case, I'd actually have him last. Macrae and then Neale for me.

If you could somehow be guaranteed that Fyfe would play 22 full games, I'd say him for the captain value. Given that that's not the case, I'd actually have him last. Macrae and then Neale for me.
Thanks. Can’t make a decision. At times I’ve had both fyfe and macrea but have then had to drop danger or Dunkley. I feel danger has some value with no TKelly and Dunkley playing forward for the first half of the year helps his price....

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks. Can’t make a decision. At times I’ve had both fyfe and macrea but have then had to drop danger or Dunkley. I feel danger has some value with no TKelly and Dunkley playing forward for the first half of the year helps his price....
To be honest I don’t think you are likely to go too far wrong with any of about 8-10 mid selections this year ... there’s good depth in my view. My 8th favorite forward or defender would likely be someone I wouldn’t even contemplate.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Daniel + Fyfe vs Houston + Macrae
I prefer Daniel to Houston and Macrae to Fyfe.

I would need to see evidence Houston is playing largely midfield, last season he had 5 /21 100+ scores compared to 10/17 for Daniel. Based on that I would probably prefer Daniel and Fyfe, and hope both don't miss too many games - neither has played all 22 games in their career.

AFL Club
Richmond

I would need to see evidence Houston is playing largely midfield, last season he had 5 /21 100+ scores compared to 10/17 for Daniel. Based on that I would probably prefer Daniel and Fyfe, and hope both don't miss too many games - neither has played all 22 games in their career.
I've actually ended up going with Houston and Fyfe, but then changed Cripps to Macrae anyways.

Already got Dunkley, and don't want to start with too many premos from the same team, so Daniel's the one to cut.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
I’ve currently gone fyfe
Macrae for me, two seasons 120+ and more durable than Fyfe. Neale would be my second pick just on durability but last season was his first above 120 and nearly 10pts on average better than previous seasons so i put him behind Macare.

AFL Club
Richmond

Like you said we need to see that Houston is playing midfield, he's a lock for me if he is, averaged 106 in his last 5 games and at 485k represents good value.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Macrae. No uncertainty with his role - he'll be playing midfield every game. Possibly slightly over priced, so can make an argument Dunkley is a better starting pick.
Jack Crisp Vs Dan Houston?
After starting Crisp last year - Houston. Crisp is very wasteful with the ball at times.