Opinion Player X vs. Player Y

AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks. I tend to agree with this view also, however I am considering whether it is better to start with Houston or possibly starting Doedee along with the extra cash in order to facilitate post round 1 changes if needed. This approach has pros & cons so I’ll need to think about it further.
Did you mean to say 'pre round 1 changes?' Cos I have Lynch at F3 who's my insurance for cash for expensive rookies should they emerge

AFL Club
Melbourne
Did you mean to say 'pre round 1 changes?' Cos I have Lynch at F3 who's my insurance for cash for expensive rookies should they emerge
No - I meant post round 1 - for example: I’m not sure about Houston v Doedee and I and have some concern about Smith in the fwd line. It is possible that one or both may need to be corrected after round 1 or 2 or possibly something else may need to be fixed. If I have the cash on hand then I may be able to make the correction with only 1 trade instead of 2.... or not, depending on the nature of the required correction(s)

AFL Club
Richmond
Is Houston, Sicily + cash an option?
Tend to agree with Ben, I'd be looking at Sicily and Houston at this stage.
Houston is a lock if I believe what Hinkley says, so it's pretty much out of the other 3 I spose. Sicily has the most upside but that's totally reliant on him returning to the role he had in 2018 which is not proven yet, although most things are pointing that way. Lairds output has dropped and Williams scored well whilst he was utilised in the guts while the other GWS mids were out. One thing I'm sure of though is that whoever I choose will be the wrong one.

AFL Club
Richmond
No - I meant post round 1 - for example: I’m not sure about Houston v Doedee and I and have some concern about Smith in the fwd line. It is possible that one or both may need to be corrected after round 1 or 2 or possibly something else may need to be fixed. If I have the cash on hand then I may be able to make the correction with only 1 trade instead of 2.... or not, depending on the nature of the required correction(s)
Sorry, I'm easily confused.

If you start Houston and Smith then you would be planning on having them as season long keepers I guess, same as me. They may end up as D6 or F6 but the reason you have them is because you think they'll be top 6 scorers. Obviously they are speculative but with less risk than others (if we believe the pre season news).

If you start Doedee then you will definitely have to use 2 trades to upgrade him to a premo. I think that 1-2 rounds is not enough to make a judgement call on your picks, because if you feel that way then they shouldn't be in your team to start with. I have budgeted a couple of trades for correctional moves but I don't want to have to use them.

There's a few coaches around though that like to have a bit of cash up their sleeve so they can jump on those guys that show early season form.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Houston v Doedee + $210k ?

And then

Houston v Robbie Gray ?
Houston x 2.

Early to judge before pre-season games with the rookies but:

Hayden Young (D5) + Clayton Oliver (M5) vs Brandon Starcevich (D5) + Patrick Dangerfield (M5)
Young and Oliver. Not sure Starcevich will be a regular in the team, Young will from what I hear.

Heeney & S.Hill
V
D.Smith & Steven
Smith / Steven. Heeney is an upgrade target for me rather than a starter.

Williams & Houston?
v's
Laird & Sicily?
Laird and Sicily. I think a few others mentioned a combo which may be the better option.

===

It is getting harder for me to respond to all these X v Y's the closer we get to the season and I know this topic will just get much busier. Regular readers of this topic may have noticed I have been trying to respond to all that are posted this season. This is because I know I had at least one of my X v Y's get no responses last season, which was obviously no help to me at the time and I don't want to see that happen to anyone this season.

Generally the more opinions you can get when you have an X v Y the better, even if they do come from poor coaches like me. I will freely admit to anyone I'm no expert and my advice is not always going to be the best option, and that's where everyone else comes in - don't leave these responses up to just a few people. There will be plenty of times I'm not around, so if you see someone has asked an X v Y, jump in and give your thoughts - any response is better than none and multiple responses are much better again! Doesn't matter if you end up making a good call or a bad call - when you're undecided every opinion helps.

AFL Club
Richmond
Houston x 2.

Young and Oliver. Not sure Starcevich will be a regular in the team, Young will from what I hear.

Smith / Steven. Heeney is an upgrade target for me rather than a starter.

Laird and Sicily. I think a few others mentioned a combo which may be the better option.

===

It is getting harder for me to respond to all these X v Y's the closer we get to the season and I know this topic will just get much busier. Regular readers of this topic may have noticed I have been trying to respond to all that are posted this season. This is because I know I had at least one of my X v Y's get no responses last season, which was obviously no help to me at the time and I don't want to see that happen to anyone this season.

Generally the more opinions you can get when you have an X v Y the better, even if they do come from poor coaches like me. I will freely admit to anyone I'm no expert and my advice is not always going to be the best option, and that's where everyone else comes in - don't leave these responses up to just a few people. There will be plenty of times I'm not around, so if you see someone has asked an X v Y, jump in and give your thoughts - any response is better than none and multiple responses are much better again! Doesn't matter if you end up making a good call or a bad call - when you're undecided every opinion helps.
Thanks @Ironhawk

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

I guess peeps, like myself, have limited time to respond to all of the stuff that goes on in all of the threads here, but I personally will do my best.

FYI, I have sold my business and am now homeless but with a bit more spare time on my hands, so I'm gonna be hangin around these parts a bit more

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks @Ironhawk

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

I guess peeps, like myself, have limited time to respond to all of the stuff that goes on in all of the threads here, but I personally will do my best.

FYI, I have sold my business and am now homeless but with a bit more spare time on my hands, so I'm gonna be hangin around these parts a bit more
Thanks.

All the best with your personal situation. Hopefully you aren't homeless for too long.

I'm not asking or expecting people to respond to every single post, more just encouraging people if they happen to see someone post to take a few seconds to give a response. I know I could do with more time in the day myself - I'm often out for 12+ hours a day on work days, but I do enjoy spending some of those other hours on here.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Laird, Roberton, Wingard & Neale
V
Houston, Doedee, Greenwood & Titch
You made this hard for me by splitting up the Hawks. :)

I probably have a slight preference for option 2, but if you can afford it, I would take Houston, Wingard and Titch. Roberton v Doedee will come down to pre-season matches for me as to who I would prefer.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks.

All the best with your personal situation. Hopefully you aren't homeless for too long.

I'm not asking or expecting people to respond to every single post, more just encouraging people if they happen to see someone post to take a few seconds to give a response. I know I could do with more time in the day myself - I'm often out for 12+ hours a day on work days, but I do enjoy spending some of those other hours on here.
Some good discussion above on responses in this thread.

A few things that I would encourage, both in this thread and the Rate My Thread in particular:

- If you’re posting an X vs Y or a side, try to respond to at least a couple of other people’s first. I agree with @Ironhawk that more responses are better, and if everyone “pays it forward” in this way, there should be a range of opinions to choose from ... especially because a number of people post opinions without having asked for one.

- Providing very quick rationale (eg Neale for durability, or Houston for more mid time) can be very useful. Your level of conviction is also helpful.

- If you haven’t received a reply, always feel free to bump a post ?

AFL Club
Collingwood
need some advice

can only start one , allowable by playing Hill onfield as a F or D

D Martin v Heeney v Laird v Sicily

ultimately I would like all 4, just wondering if it is better to wait on Dusty to drop like he always does

current setup :

F: Whitfield , Martin , Lynch, Smith, Cockatoo , Georgiades / King, Rankine

D: Houston, Docherty, Doedee , Hill ,Young, Starcevich / Williamson, Brander (can't see the point in using cheap players on the bench eg McLennan, Gould , Rivers etc etc in case they are not named, easier to go down than up imo)

Cheers