Qatar 2022 - FIFA World Cup Tipping [21st Nov to 18th Dec]

AFL Club
Brisbane
Great comp, well done Mark. Shame my semi final predictions were terrible! better luck to me in 4 years time!!

THCLT

BBL05 Winner
AFL Club
North Melb.
Winner finished on 87 points (40 correct tips plus 7 bonus points), well deserved as he tipped the most winners, 2 ahead of his closest rival (who finished 2nd overall).

Final result for SCS members below.

A.jpg
B.jpg

Unfortunately, despite Rowsus and myself both correctly tipping the results for the final two games, we were outdone by the bonus point system in the final of the Stage Competition.

I know it has been mentioned on numerous occasions and without wanting to sound like a broken record, many thanks to Mark for his arduous efforts over the past 4 1/2 weeks in keeping us all regularly updated after EVERY single match day. It was a fantastically run and administered competition. I'm sure that I speak on behalf of all participants that we all would love another invitation in 4 years' time. There's only one direction for that 130 number...and that's UP!

AFL Club
Sydney
Really great competition. Would love to figure a way to digitise it for you, let me have a think.

I did well in the semis and final, but probably started too far back (I submitted all 3 group games before KO as I was on holiday!). Still, I was in France to see France play a few games and so was happy to see them win it!

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Best $10 I ever spent on such a thing.
Really added to my enjoyment of the whole Cup, allowing me to be interested in games I normally couldn't give a toss about!
Well done, Mark.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Thanks gents.

Interestingly the increase in the bonus points in the final 4 games was all about giving people a chance to catch up in the points comp but, unlike previous comps, it didn’t really achieve that given those placings didn’t change at all late.

I thought it would be largely irrelevant to the stage comp but can’t say I realised it would have the effect of meaning that 1 correct result with the bonus would beat 2 results in the final. But even if I had, I suspect that I would have thought the chances of what actually happened in the final as being pretty remote where;

1) 7 out of 10 got both results but none got any bonus points.
2) 2 out of the 3 that got just 1 result did so with the right score and got the bonus.

It is funny how these things happen.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
I know you've done a tremendous job running this for a number of WCs now, so it's not my position to suggest changes ........

Having said that, I'd like to see a change for selecting the "winning result" after the group series are complete.
To get 2 points for selecting Belgium to beat Panama, or Russia to beat Egypt in the group stages, seems disproportionate to getting the same 2 points, when tossing the coin between say England v Belgium in the later stages.

Off the top of my head, people got around 50% of the group results right, and after the group stage, this fell to around 40%.
Maybe as the correct score bonus goes up, the correct result points could increase a little, too.

I do note, it probably would have made no difference to the monetary results, if you had done that this Cup.

AFL Club
North Melb.
I know you've done a tremendous job running this for a number of WCs now, so it's not my position to suggest changes ........

Having said that, I'd like to see a change for selecting the "winning result" after the group series are complete.
To get 2 points for selecting Belgium to beat Panama, or Russia to beat Egypt in the group stages, seems disproportionate to getting the same 2 points, when tossing the coin between say England v Belgium in the later stages.

Off the top of my head, people got around 50% of the group results right, and after the group stage, this fell to around 40%.
Maybe as the correct score bonus goes up, the correct result points could increase a little, too.

I do note, it probably would have made no difference to the monetary results, if you had done that this Cup.
Thanks for the feedback Rowsus and always happy to get other ideas and points of view. I will file them in the memory bank for next time.

I suppose it is true of any tipping comp that on face value picking a winner in a lopsided contest is worth the same as doing so in an evenly matched contest. However I would argue that picking the right result in a evenly matched contest is actually worth a lot more because inherently so many other people don't get it right. Essentially picking the mismatches are worth very little because most of the field gets those points.

I did consider increasing the results points rather than the bonus points as the tournament went on however my rationale for doing what I did is because I wanted to give people the chance that they could make up ground if they dropped off the pace. The best way to do that was to give people a better chance of getting points that other people don't and I thought offering more bonus points served that purpose better.

Thanks again for your participation and interest.

THCLT

BBL05 Winner
AFL Club
North Melb.
FIFA 22 World Cup Finals: Qatar

Save the date: Nov 21 - Dec 18 (very unusual timing)

Very (but pleasantly) surprised to see Australia will be participating again.

This is the best comp I run so stay tuned...
You've saved me from having to look up this thread to give it a bump...very eager to participate again later in the year!

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Costa Rica beat New Zealand this morning to be the final team to qualify for the finals.

Looking forward to this competition, reading back through the topic it sounds like it should be fun, and if you believe it is the best one that you run, that sounds really promising after being in a few others of yours. It was also interesting to see so few "likes" 4 years ago, I think you'll deservedly get a lot more this time around.

AFL Club
Melbourne
Times of the games are very UK friendly :cool:
10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm
Maybe not so much for the rest of you :giggle:
7pm, 10pm, 1am, 4am AEST if it's still 9 hours difference then

AFL Club
Collingwood
Times of the games are very UK friendly :cool:
10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm
Maybe not so much for the rest of you :giggle:
7pm, 10pm, 1am, 4am AEST if it's still 9 hours difference then
v France 6 am AEDT
v Tunisia 9 pm AEDT
v Denmark 2 am AEDT

AFL Club
Brisbane
Tunisia 6 pm CST on a Saturday evening is the only one at a decent time for me. Denmark 11 pm midweek maybe.

Also, please ad me into whatever comp you're likely to run.

Cheers,

M