Opinion Questions For Rowsus

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL Club
West Coast
Personally, I prefer it to a DGR. Some are saying Melb/Ess players only get 16 scores this season, but I say that is immaterial. They received some sort of compensation with the best 18 decision. Some had it good, with Pittonet, some had it bad, with donuts.
What I will say is VS really made a rod for their back, by not pre-planning, and preannouncing what would happen in this scenario. Now every decision they make will appear to be made on the fly, and will anger a good number of their participants.
Do you think there's still a slight advantage in chasing ESS/MEL with comparable predicted averages to alternatives at their price?

AFL Club
Carlton
Hey Slammer,
Houston seems to be a problem you fix, when you don't have any other problems to fix.
It won't make you much cash this week, but I'd be doing Sturt to Williamson via Brander.
With your other trade, I think you need to sacrifice one of your DTP's to Bennell or KKP.
Good luck!
Yeah.. not sure on Williamson. Could be a slow burn. May wait for Serong

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
@Rowsus talk me out of keeping Tim Kelly?

Started with Fyfe/Neale/Cripps and Kelly - really don't see any other midfielders who are a "must have" right now and thinking I will just roll the dice with Kelly coming good!
@lappinitup Well, I'll try!
He's a (very) mature age recruit. The older they are when they start, the quicker they reach their level that they are going to achieve. Look at the players that have debuted at 22 or older, and have had a 100+ season.
Barlow - 1st season 116 - never did better again. It took him until his 4th and 5th season to go 112 and 110.
Zorko - 1st season 100 - went down in in his 2nd and 3rd season, 5th season 109.
Kelly - 93, 104 - broken the mould a little, but is that his level? If he was better than that, he would have been drafted before!

Kelly has never missed a game. If he can drag this season up to the 96 area, then he's going to go 14/99 from here. Is that good enough for a player, that you paid $561,800 for, and currently sits at $523,600 BE 132? Mt guess is No!

Good luck, whichever way you jump!

AFL Club
West Coast
Hey Row!

Hopefully this is not a repeated question but just wanted to get your thoughts on the players below. With Dunkley injured I had to trade him out. I'm also going to trade out either Sturt/D.Cameron for one of the players below to go into my forward line but not sure who the "better" option to go with is. By better I mean who would more likely be a season keeper and won't require another sideways trade later on this season. I'll have about 500k to spend.

Jy Simpkin (got doubts if he can keep this sort of form up and whether his midfield time is nailed on)
Hugh Greenwood
Christian Petracca (breakout year?)
Chad Wingard
Jack Martin
Jonathan Ceglar (main ruck at Hawthorn now? tempting at his price but worried about his injury history)

Cheers!

AFL Club
Collingwood
Personally, I prefer it to a DGR. Some are saying Melb/Ess players only get 16 scores this season, but I say that is immaterial. They received some sort of compensation with the best 18 decision. Some had it good, with Pittonet, some had it bad, with donuts.
What I will say is VS really made a rod for their back, by not pre-planning, and preannouncing what would happen in this scenario. Now every decision they make will appear to be made on the fly, and will anger a good number of their participants.
Imagine starting say Gawn and Smith and finishing 200-300 points behind the leader at the end of the comp and missing out on $ 50k , wonder if 16 games to 17 games is immaterial then......be absolutely spewing.

Obviously no guarantees what that 17th score could or not achieve.

Maybe I am just seeing things too simplistically that if clubs play 17 games in a season then their players should be entitled to 17 SC scores if indeed they play all games.

I wonder how many Gawn owned teams were fortunate enough to have Pittonet.

Last edited:

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey Row!

Hopefully this is not a repeated question but just wanted to get your thoughts on the players below. With Dunkley injured I had to trade him out. I'm also going to trade out either Sturt/D.Cameron for one of the players below to go into my forward line but not sure who the "better" option to go with is. By better I mean who would more likely be a season keeper and won't require another sideways trade later on this season. I'll have about 500k to spend.

Jy Simpkin (got doubts if he can keep this sort of form up and whether his midfield time is nailed on)
Hugh Greenwood
Christian Petracca (breakout year?)
Chad Wingard
Jack Martin
Jonathan Ceglar (main ruck at Hawthorn now? tempting at his price but worried about his injury history)

Cheers!
Hey Rumb!
My order at the moment would be:
Simpkin, Petracca, Greenwood, Ceglar.
Keep in mind, Simpkin only needs to score at 95 while in your team, not at his current stellar level.
I'd trade out Sturt. He won't play for 4 to 6 weeks, and if you get him out of your team, he could be a decent downgrade target around then.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Imagine starting say Gawn and Smith and finishing 200-300 points behind the leader at the end of the comp and missing out on $ 50k , wonder if 16 games to 17 games is immaterial then......be absolutely spewing.

Obviously no guarantees what that 17th score could or not achieve.

Maybe I am just seeing things too simplistically that if clubs play 17 games in a season then their players should be entitled to 17 SC scores if indeed they play all games.

I wonder how many Gawn owned teams were fortunate enough to have Pittonet.
Personally, I think you are looking at it in the wrong way.
I like to put it in terms of scoring slots. 85% of the time you have 22, last week you had 18. Some people benefitted from the change, some people suffered, but I think looking at player game counts is the wrong way to look at it.
I think the biggest mistake VS made was not making and announcing a contingency plan.
If I was VS, preseason I would have announced: 1 game canceled mid round and it becomes best 22 from your 30, 2 games cancelled mid round and it becomes best 18 from your 30, 3 games cancelled, round cancelled. Any game cancelations, up to 3 games, prior to the start of a round, and bye rules apply.
I think VS's only mistake was not forward planning, and keeping us informed.
Once they dug that hole, there is nothing they could have done last week, that wouldn't have upset at least 25% of the Coaches.
Without bias to your own team and situation, what do you think they should have done last week?

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey Rows,

Do you think that after this week if you do not have Fyfe now, you will never get him in?
I've had Fyfe on the "Start him or forget him" list for a couple of seasons now. His game counts in the 2nd half of the season are traditionally bad. I started him. Given we "expect" him to miss a game or two from here, I'd say he's very close to now, or never.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Personally, I think you are looking at it in the wrong way.
I like to put it in terms of scoring slots. 85% of the time you have 22, last week you had 18. Some people benefitted from the change, some people suffered, but I think looking at player game counts is the wrong way to look at it.
I think the biggest mistake VS made was not making and announcing a contingency plan.
If I was VS, preseason I would have announced: 1 game canceled mid round and it becomes best 22 from your 30, 2 games cancelled mid round and it becomes best 18 from your 30, 3 games cancelled, round cancelled. Any game cancelations, up to 3 games, prior to the start of a round, and bye rules apply.
I think VS's only mistake was not forward planning, and keeping us informed.
Once they dug that hole, there is nothing they could have done last week, that wouldn't have upset at least 25% of the Coaches.
Without bias to your own team and situation, what do you think they should have done last week?
I actually agree with the Best 18 ruling , given that 8 other games were completed.

Players missing games (Greene) and late outs (Kelly) is part of the game that people then have choices to deal with.

I owned at the time Bennell , KPP , Rivers , Smith.

Certainly feel sorry for those who owned more Essendon/Melbourne players especially premiums (I posted the Top 10% owned in one of the other threads) but on the other hand you have SC coaches that may not own as many of those players from those 2 teams.

Personally I hope they never use forecast scores or averages as replacements and rely on a real game , too many variables in a game of football.

Totally agree that they well and truly should have had contingency plans in place when they resumed the season in Round 2 given how much uncertainty there was and still is around the virus and advised us beforehand.

I guess what I don't understand is why not just then score the Ess v Melbourne game when it is actually played , it could be :-

* stand alone at the end of Round 17
* part of a Sat-Wed-Sun fixturing
* split round if we do end up having byes

all conjecture and speculation , I would imagine Auld has 100 whiteboards in his office trying to work it all out (ok it's done on computer)

so players could be rested , rotated etc , who knows

if both teams are out of the finals race , they might be in experimental mode anyway

Given (so far) we can only have 2 trades per week they are worried about people trading in Ess/Melbourne players to take advantage of a double score , but like I think you may have mentioned you probably would only really be targetting Gawn , Merrett , Oliver types.

Hope that makes sense

Anyway the decision has been made now , just have to accept it for what it is and move on.

I was only thinking if you owned Whitfield (E) and was thinking wow I dodged a bullet their and he ended up as part of your Best 18 anyway

Thanks for your response

AFL Club
Fremantle
I've had Fyfe on the "Start him or forget him" list for a couple of seasons now. His game counts in the 2nd half of the season are traditionally bad. I started him. Given we "expect" him to miss a game or two from here, I'd say he's very close to now, or never.
Nostrarowsus.

I was never going to pick him until the changes to the games with shorter quarters before round 1. :mad:

AFL Club
Carlton
Hi Rows

Can be happy I guess I didn’t get tempted by your response above this week. Decided against bringing in Fyfe for Jelly/Titch and just made the one Houston to Ridley trade. ?
Although it kind of evened itself out by losing Howe & Stewart to long term injuries.
With two premo injuries do you look at just bringing in two other premos as replacements and move on.
Eg. Haynes & Sicily
Or do I take another risk and bring in a cheaper option ? I now only have Doc as my premo defender with Ridley a hopeful after his great start to the season. Bearing in mind your defensive line is what I consider is the best place to take risks.
I actually liked Hayden Young’s game.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi Rowsus, first question of 2020 for me (I think!). What are your thoughts on Jack Riewoldt as a selection? He’s had a terrible start to the year averaging 40, priced at around 270k odd now.

Assuming he averages 70-75 for the year, he averages 80-85 from here on which doesn’t seem too bad at his price. Does he interest you at all? Or is his terrible start enough of a red flag?
Keen to hear your thoughts.

Hi Rowsus, first question of 2020 for me (I think!). What are your thoughts on Jack Riewoldt as a selection? He’s had a terrible start to the year averaging 40, priced at around 270k odd now.

Assuming he averages 70-75 for the year, he averages 80-85 from here on which doesn’t seem too bad at his price. Does he interest you at all? Or is his terrible start enough of a red flag?
Keen to hear your thoughts.

Jack Darling, albeit a bit more expensive, could come down to low 300ish and looks more appealing personally

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi Rows

Can be happy I guess I didn’t get tempted by your response above this week. Decided against bringing in Fyfe for Jelly/Titch and just made the one Houston to Ridley trade. ?
Although it kind of evened itself out by losing Howe & Stewart to long term injuries.
With two premo injuries do you look at just bringing in two other premos as replacements and move on.
Eg. Haynes & Sicily
Or do I take another risk and bring in a cheaper option ? I now only have Doc as my premo defender with Ridley a hopeful after his great start to the season. Bearing in mind your defensive line is what I consider is the best place to take risks.
I actually liked Hayden Young’s game.
Hi Slammer,
I think there are some half decent Cows available this Round. With your lack of cash producers, I think you should be grabbing at least one of them this round. Green, Hill, Serong, Xerri, Mahony, Bennell.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi Rowsus,

What's your thoughts on bringing in Luke Parker, rather than a Danger/Titch. Incredibly durable and low ownership, goalkicking mid that will always have the most CBA for the Swans. 2nd in the league for CP this season aswell. Im pleased to see you are liking Serong aswell.
Hi C98,
Parker is 11 seasons and 200 games into his career. He has a 22/112 season 4 years ago, but is probably more considered a 105-107 player. He could spike out another 112, but it would generally be something I'd rather bet against, than bet on. He's currently priced at 113, so you'd be paying a price he has never averaged in a season.
It's probably not a bad season to plonk for a POD, but I think I'd rather try and find one that is potentially underpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.