Opinion Questions For Rowsus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good evening Rows!

The preliminary finals are upon us except...
...this round has barely even started and it's already on the brink of being over for me unfortunately. I know that sounds pessimistic and although I'm really happy West Coast won, the fact that Tim Kelly almost got a double ton has screwed me over big time. Gaff's score, however, has slightly kept the flame still alive for me!
I'm playing against the guy who I beat in last year's final. He's out for revenge and right now it looks like he's gonna get it.

My team is on the left below. His team on the right. Assuming we both captain Gawn, I'm projected 2492 and he's projected 2559. Note that I can't see his current team because the website is not letting me, so gotta assume he still has two trades to make this round (likely has upgraded Riccardi to someone). The team on the right below is his one from round 16.

View attachment 21409

Trades are no issue as I have 4 left. 255k cash to spend. Injury concerns to Simpkin and Docherty only make things worse though.

What is the approach from here on how to go for the win? Make high risk/high reward trades? I will wait to see the line-ups for the Saturday games which are announced tomorrow. I need to trade out Wicks but don't know who to bring in and hoping you can suggest a genuine match winner who can go big these last two rounds.

Should I bring in a defender (move Rivers to mid) or a midfielder? VC/Captain choice to make? Currently thinking Gawn into Neale.

Also if Simpkin & Docherty both somehow do play, then trading Schoenberg from the bench to get extra cash may be an option.
Always grateful for any advice/suggestions you have! Don't think there's been a round this year where I need it as much as I do this round!
Many thanks!

p.s. Feeling a bit superstitious so gonna tag @Darkie for no apparent reason...well last year it worked and I won...:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:!!
Hey Rumbs,
I think the match is closer than the projected scores say, but I do think your opponent is holding a troubling advantage over you. It's a pity the Geel game is up next, as it could have been a good game for you to throw a hail Mary late in the Round, and bring in someone like Menegola, who can go anywhere from 60 to 180. He has 3 x 150+ scores already this season, and most people are surprised that Richmond give up good scores to Mids. On that note, I think you need to try and separate at least your VC score from your opponent, and in that vein, I am suggesting you VC Dangerfield. (Menegola would have been a ripping POD VC!). Here's why: (the number in brackets is the players average, without the Richmond game included)
Rnd 8 v GWS: Kelly 195 (106)
Rnd 9 v WB: Macrae 162 (122)
Rnd 10 v Bris: Neale 149 (138), Lyons 121 (114), McCluggage 114 (103)
Rnd 11 v Port: Wines 189 (100), Gray 133 (88), Boak 129 (109)
Rnd 12 v GC: Anderson 126 (70), Miller 124 (104)
Rnd 13 v Ess: Merrett 143 (114)
Rnd 14 v WC: Gaff 135 (100), Kelly 118 (91), Shuey 112 (93)
Rnd 15 v Fre: Fyfe 132 (108), Acres 129 (69)
If Danger fails, and you still look like you are behind, i'd suggest Macrae as your Captain pick. One of your best avenues back into the match, is to out-do his Captain score, which of course, you can only do if it is a different player.
After that, I think you need to wait and see what surprises selections throws up. I would be keeping in the back of your mind, that the players that have been under a cloud (Simpkin, Docherty) have the potential to under-perform, so them being selected is potentially as problematic, as them not being selected.
Good luck in the first half, we'll revisit how you are going Saturday, when we know more about team selections.

AFL Club
West Coast
Hey Rumbs,
I think the match is closer than the projected scores say, but I do think your opponent is holding a troubling advantage over you. It's a pity the Geel game is up next, as it could have been a good game for you to throw a hail Mary late in the Round, and bring in someone like Menegola, who can go anywhere from 60 to 180. He has 3 x 150+ scores already this season, and most people are surprised that Richmond give up good scores to Mids. On that note, I think you need to try and separate at least your VC score from your opponent, and in that vein, I am suggesting you VC Dangerfield. (Menegola would have been a ripping POD VC!). Here's why: (the number in brackets is the players average, without the Richmond game included)
Rnd 8 v GWS: Kelly 195 (106)
Rnd 9 v WB: Macrae 162 (122)
Rnd 10 v Bris: Neale 149 (138), Lyons 121 (114), McCluggage 114 (103)
Rnd 11 v Port: Wines 189 (100), Gray 133 (88), Boak 129 (109)
Rnd 12 v GC: Anderson 126 (70), Miller 124 (104)
Rnd 13 v Ess: Merrett 143 (114)
Rnd 14 v WC: Gaff 135 (100), Kelly 118 (91), Shuey 112 (93)
Rnd 15 v Fre: Fyfe 132 (108), Acres 129 (69)
If Danger fails, and you still look like you are behind, i'd suggest Macrae as your Captain pick. One of your best avenues back into the match, is to out-do his Captain score, which of course, you can only do if it is a different player.
After that, I think you need to wait and see what surprises selections throws up. I would be keeping in the back of your mind, that the players that have been under a cloud (Simpkin, Docherty) have the potential to under-perform, so them being selected is potentially as problematic, as them not being selected.
Good luck in the first half, we'll revisit how you are going Saturday, when we know more about team selections.

Thanks heaps Rows!
Danger VC locked in and fingers crossed he has a big night!

I've managed to find out that my opponent has made his two trades already. He traded out Riccardi & B.Woodcock for B.Acres & K.Coleman. His VC is Gawn and C is Neale and currently projected at 2533! I've updated my spreadsheet below!

1599817164841.png

Also Rivers and Simpkin have been selected. Currently Rivers is my D6. Let's see what happens in tonight's game and tomorrow's North vs. Freo game as he will have 3 of his Freo players playing. The Carlton vs. Adelaide teams should be announced before the GWS vs. Melb game starts.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thanks heaps Rows!
Danger VC locked in and fingers crossed he has a big night!

I've managed to find out that my opponent has made his two trades already. He traded out Riccardi & B.Woodcock for B.Acres & K.Coleman. His VC is Gawn and C is Neale and currently projected at 2533! I've updated my spreadsheet below!

View attachment 21426

Also Rivers and Simpkin have been selected. Currently Rivers is my D6. Let's see what happens in tonight's game and tomorrow's North vs. Freo game as he will have 3 of his Freo players playing. The Carlton vs. Adelaide teams should be announced before the GWS vs. Melb game starts.
Well, Danger was a bust. I guess we need to wait and see the Carlton before executing any moves.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
To be honest, it looks like you are in a World of trouble.
The question then becomes:
Do you give up on this League, and just try and get the best Ranking you can?
Or
Is this League so important, you just want to throw everything at it, just to see if you can win?

AFL Club
West Coast
To be honest, it looks like you are in a World of trouble.
The question then becomes:
Do you give up on this League, and just try and get the best Ranking you can?
Or
Is this League so important, you just want to throw everything at it, just to see if you can win?
Haha definitely this! Even if I end up losing I still need to give it my best shot at winning.
As it's my 2nd year of playing SuperCoach, one of my other goals was to beat my overall ranking from last year (11386) and finish top 10k this season. I'm currently ranked about 5.8k so top 10k is still looking hopefully achievable even if I have a poor score this round!

Gonna need a hail mary, I heard the news about Treloar being back so was thinking about bringing him in for Wicks. Need Docherty to be named first though!

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Haha definitely this! Even if I end up losing I still need to give it my best shot at winning.
As it's my 2nd year of playing SuperCoach, one of my other goals was to beat my overall ranking from last year (11386) and finish top 10k this season. I'm currently ranked about 5.8k so top 10k is still looking hopefully achievable even if I have a poor score this round!

Gonna need a hail mary, I heard the news about Treloar being back so was thinking about bringing him in for Wicks. Need Docherty to be named first though!
You might need to also trade one of Docherty, Petracca, Whitfield to a different player, just to give you another POD to fight his advantage.
The more POD's you have, the better, when you are this far behind.
I would think, even if he gets named, Doc could be under a cloud (a bit like Simpkin appeared to be).
I'd try and find someone to replace him.
Good luck.

AFL Club
West Coast
You might need to also trade one of Docherty, Petracca, Whitfield to a different player, just to give you another POD to fight his advantage.
The more POD's you have, the better, when you are this far behind.
I would think, even if he gets named, Doc could be under a cloud (a bit like Simpkin appeared to be).
I'd try and find someone to replace him.
Good luck.
Gawn 150 was opponent's VC. Pretty sure he's gonna take it.

Haynes and Oliver underscoring for him, along with Rivers scoring a ton for me have helped me out slightly but still a mountain to climb.

Currently:
Me 1238 (proj 2516) vs. Him 1406 (proj 2616)

Need to get the captain choice bang on for me to have any chance.

The trades I've come up with for tomorrow are:
Docherty --> Rich
Wicks --> Treloar

What you think?! Any better suggestions? lol

Also, assuming he does take Gawn's score, is Macrae still the best captain choice for me? Or Neale? Or someone else?!

Bloody DangerFRAUD, his score has screwed me over big time. Not gonna bother mentioning how T.Kelly went absolutely HAM o_O ahhh what could've been! :LOL:

EDIT: Just realised he has Jordan Dawson out injured....but....has Tobe Watson's 90 as an emergency :(

Last edited:
AFL Club
Essendon
Hey old mate i need some guidance, in a 10 team 22 palyer keeper draft league thats in its 6th season im in the prelim and going for a shot at a 3peat.
Would you play Rankine over Rayner or trade and go a bruest or gunston ?

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Gawn 150 was opponent's VC. Pretty sure he's gonna take it.

Haynes and Oliver underscoring for him, along with Rivers scoring a ton for me have helped me out slightly but still a mountain to climb.

Currently:
Me 1238 (proj 2516) vs. Him 1406 (proj 2616)

Need to get the captain choice bang on for me to have any chance.

The trades I've come up with for tomorrow are:
Docherty --> Rich
Wicks --> Treloar

What you think?! Any better suggestions? lol

Also, assuming he does take Gawn's score, is Macrae still the best captain choice for me? Or Neale? Or someone else?!

Bloody DangerFRAUD, his score has screwed me over big time. Not gonna bother mentioning how T.Kelly went absolutely HAM o_O ahhh what could've been! :LOL:

EDIT: Just realised he has Jordan Dawson out injured....but....has Tobe Watson's 90 as an emergency :(
Watson replacing Dawson bumps his projected up by 2 points, as Watson scored 2 higher than Dawsons projected score.
So currently you have (projected scores in brackets):
Laird (123), Smith (95), JPK (78), Wicks (53), Greenwood (95) = 444
He has:
Cripps (109), Lyons (111), Lukosius (110), Maynard (96) = 426
Given he projected to beat you by 102, I guess he is currently 120 ahead of you.

I'd shift your Captain off whoever you are going to have it on, and put on him in the last minute before the game starts. Even though he can bank Gawn, if he is smart, he will match your Captain selection, as it is one of the few chances you have of getting back into the match. The later you put the C on, the harder it is for him to match you.

How Mids have scored against Haw the past 5 Rounds. The score in brackets is what that player has averaged against everyone else, but not including the current Round.
Rnd 12 v WC: Shuey 101 (94), Gaff 94 (102), Kelly 68 (94)
Rnd 13 v Port: Boak 148 (107), Rockliff 126 (98), SPP 119 (74)
Rnd 14 v Ess: Merrett 145 (114), McGrath 124 (93), Shiel 118 (100)
Rnd 15 v Ade: M Crouch 162 (108), B Crouch 85 (82)
Rnd 16 v StK: Jones 123 (92), Steele 111 (121)
Only 3 out of 13 scored below their alternate average.

How Mids have scored against Syd the past 5 Rounds. The score in brackets is what that player has averaged against everyone else, but not including the current Round.
Rnd 12 v GWS: Kelly 119 (113), Coniglio 95 (98)
Rnd 13 v Fre: Mundy 131 (91), Brayshaw 122 (103), Fyfe 86 (113)
Rnd 14 v Port: Wines 133 (105), Boak 116 (110), Rockliff 110 (100)
Rnd 15 v Melb: Oliver 130 (125), Viney 76 (104), Petracca 53 (121)
Rnd 16 v Carl: Walsh 161 (97), Cripps 108 (102), SPS 112 (69)
Only 4 out of 14 scored below their alternate average.

While the numbers are very similar, Haw seem more likely to give up a big blow out, giving up 3 x 140+ scores to Syd's 1. So I'm thinking Macrae.

Docherty and Wilkes out is 153 projected out, and gives you $996,000 to choose a Mid and a Def.
I think I'd avoid Treloar, the last time he was first game back from a longish injury he scored a scratchy 48. I know he can go big, but I'd look at this as "what's the most points I can buy for my money?"
Scrimshaw for Haw has averaged 95 since Sicily got injured, and is $420k. You could pair him with Dunkley/McCluggage/Adams.
Daniel for WBull is pretty consistent, and is $476k. You could pair him with Greenwood/McCluggage
Rich for Bris is a real risk, but at $394k, you can pair him with Hunter/Treloar and any of the above.
Or go all the way down to Greaves, and get Bont or M Crouch.
I think I'd toss up between Scrimshaw/Dunkley, due to Dunkley's high ceiling, or Daniel/McCluggage.
Good luck, let me know which way you jump!

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey old mate i need some guidance, in a 10 team 22 palyer keeper draft league thats in its 6th season im in the prelim and going for a shot at a 3peat.
Would you play Rankine over Rayner or trade and go a bruest or gunston ?
Hey old buddy, that is a tough one!
Rayner is terrible shot at goal, and Sydney don't give up many goals, so I will say no to him.
Rankine is very up and down, I'm going to bet against him playing Collingwood.
Breust has a bit more consistency than Gunston, but gunston is more likely to give you 100+, if he can find form.
I'll go in this order: Breust, Gunston, Rankine, Rayner.
Good luck, let me know how you go!

AFL Club
West Coast
Watson replacing Dawson bumps his projected up by 2 points, as Watson scored 2 higher than Dawsons projected score.
So currently you have (projected scores in brackets):
Laird (123), Smith (95), JPK (78), Wicks (53), Greenwood (95) = 444
He has:
Cripps (109), Lyons (111), Lukosius (110), Maynard (96) = 426
Given he projected to beat you by 102, I guess he is currently 120 ahead of you.

I'd shift your Captain off whoever you are going to have it on, and put on him in the last minute before the game starts. Even though he can bank Gawn, if he is smart, he will match your Captain selection, as it is one of the few chances you have of getting back into the match. The later you put the C on, the harder it is for him to match you.

How Mids have scored against Haw the past 5 Rounds. The score in brackets is what that player has averaged against everyone else, but not including the current Round.
Rnd 12 v WC: Shuey 101 (94), Gaff 94 (102), Kelly 68 (94)
Rnd 13 v Port: Boak 148 (107), Rockliff 126 (98), SPP 119 (74)
Rnd 14 v Ess: Merrett 145 (114), McGrath 124 (93), Shiel 118 (100)
Rnd 15 v Ade: M Crouch 162 (108), B Crouch 85 (82)
Rnd 16 v StK: Jones 123 (92), Steele 111 (121)
Only 3 out of 13 scored below their alternate average.

How Mids have scored against Syd the past 5 Rounds. The score in brackets is what that player has averaged against everyone else, but not including the current Round.
Rnd 12 v GWS: Kelly 119 (113), Coniglio 95 (98)
Rnd 13 v Fre: Mundy 131 (91), Brayshaw 122 (103), Fyfe 86 (113)
Rnd 14 v Port: Wines 133 (105), Boak 116 (110), Rockliff 110 (100)
Rnd 15 v Melb: Oliver 130 (125), Viney 76 (104), Petracca 53 (121)
Rnd 16 v Carl: Walsh 161 (97), Cripps 108 (102), SPS 112 (69)
Only 4 out of 14 scored below their alternate average.

While the numbers are very similar, Haw seem more likely to give up a big blow out, giving up 3 x 140+ scores to Syd's 1. So I'm thinking Macrae.

Docherty and Wilkes out is 153 projected out, and gives you $996,000 to choose a Mid and a Def.
I think I'd avoid Treloar, the last time he was first game back from a longish injury he scored a scratchy 48. I know he can go big, but I'd look at this as "what's the most points I can buy for my money?"
Scrimshaw for Haw has averaged 95 since Sicily got injured, and is $420k. You could pair him with Dunkley/McCluggage/Adams.
Daniel for WBull is pretty consistent, and is $476k. You could pair him with Greenwood/McCluggage
Rich for Bris is a real risk, but at $394k, you can pair him with Hunter/Treloar and any of the above.
Or go all the way down to Greaves, and get Bont or M Crouch.
I think I'd toss up between Scrimshaw/Dunkley, due to Dunkley's high ceiling, or Daniel/McCluggage.
Good luck, let me know which way you jump!

Assuming he takes Gawn's score, and Watson replaces Dawson...he's currently on 1496 with 526 projected points from his 5 remaining unique players to come (Cripps, Docherty (projected at 100), Lyons, Lukosius & Maynard).

Which means I have to beat [526 + (1496 - 1238)] = 784 points with the following remaining uniques I have:
Laird (proj 123)
Docherty's replacement
Bailey Smith (proj 95)
Macrae's captain score divided by two (since he also has Macrae) (proj 136)
JPK (proj 78)
Wick's upgrade
Greenwood (already had him for the past several rounds!) (proj 95)

The 5 score projections above are 527 points. 785 - 527 = 258 points. So Docherty's replacement & Wick's upgrade need to get me at least 258 points!

You've given some great suggestions and I'm tossing up between Daniel/McCluggage & Rich/Treloar...and I'm really torn of which way to go!!!

Daniel is a good choice, not too worried about his consistency although his 71 a few rounds ago may cause some concern.
Not sure about McCluggage, I'm scared of going with him because he's in a midfield with Neale & Lyons (who my opponent also has!) and I have JPK involved too in that game. A few rounds ago McCluggage only got 61 against Norths.

I understand the massive risk with Rich but I think he might good for at least 80 points and I'm hoping JPK can get at least 20 points higher than his projected 78! With Treloar, I remember him missing the start of this season cuz of injury and when he came back he had some real solid scores straight off the bat! He got 177 against GC last year if I recall correctly. All this combined with the fact Collingwood need a win to ensure their place in the finals, I think there's a good chance he might get a big score....BUT then again he is coming back from a hamstring!!!
Ahhh!! Think I'm gonna need another opinion here o_O:LOL:

@Darkie @Ben's Beasts @THCLT Hey lads, if you manage to see this message in next hour, I'm just after some convincing/opinions for my season defining trades in my prelim match-up. Long story short, I'm trading out Docherty & Wicks.
Should I go for:
Option A: Caleb Daniel & Hugh McCluggage

or

Option B: Daniel Rich & Adam Treloar

1 hour to go before the Carlton vs. Adelaide game!!! And a big thank you in advance!!

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Assuming he takes Gawn's score, and Watson replaces Dawson...he's currently on 1496 with 526 projected points from his 5 remaining unique players to come (Cripps, Docherty (projected at 100), Lyons, Lukosius & Maynard).

Which means I have to beat [526 + (1496 - 1238)] = 784 points with the following remaining uniques I have:
Laird (proj 123)
Docherty's replacement
Bailey Smith (proj 95)
JPK (proj 78)
Wick's upgrade

The 5 score projections above are 527 points. 785 - 527 = 258 points. So Docherty's replacement & Wick's upgrade need to get me at least 258 points!

You've given some great suggestions and I'm tossing up between Daniel/McCluggage & Rich/Treloar...and I'm really torn of which way to go!!!

Daniel is a good choice, not too worried about his consistency although his 71 a few rounds ago may cause some concern.
Not sure about McCluggage, I'm scared of going with him because he's in a midfield with Neale & Lyons (who my opponent also has!) and I have JPK involved too in that game. A few rounds ago McCluggage only got 61 against Norths.

I understand the massive risk with Rich but I think he might good for at least 80 points and I'm hoping JPK can get at least 20 points higher than his projected 78! With Treloar, I remember him missing the start of this season cuz of injury and when he came back he had some real solid scores straight off the bat! He got 177 against GC last year if I recall correctly. All this combined with the fact Collingwood need a win to ensure their place in the finals, I think there's a good chance he might get a big score....BUT then again he is coming back from a hamstring!!!

@Darkie @Ben's Beasts @THCLT Hey lads, if you manage to see this message in next hour, I'm just after some convincing/opinions for my season defining trades in my prelim match-up. Long story short, I'm trading out Docherty & Wicks.
Should I go for:

or

1 hour to go before the Carlton vs. Adelaide game!!! And a big thank you in advance!!
I think B, but that's just my opinion (and I'm no expert). Good luck, sounds like you will need it.

Ben's Beasts

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Melbourne

Laird (proj 123)
Docherty's replacement
Bailey Smith (proj 95)
JPK (proj 78)
Wick's upgrade

Should I go for:

or

I prefer option A.

Daniel a much better option than Rich. If this was the start of the year then I would choose Treloar over McCluggage but with Treloar coming back from a long layoff from injury, I think McCluggage is just as good a pick.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood

Laird (proj 123)
Docherty's replacement
Bailey Smith (proj 95)
JPK (proj 78)
Wick's upgrade

Should I go for:

or

I’ve just seen this unfortunately! Which way did you jump?

AFL Club
West Coast
I’ve just seen this unfortunately! Which way did you jump?
Haha no worries!

Sooooo.....I went with the Daniel/McCluggage option!

Although @Ironhawk picked option B, @Rowsus, @Ben's Beasts and @THCLT were all in favour of option A.
All of you have a million times more SuperCoach experience than a 2nd year player like myself! So I listened to the wise words and chose option A lol

Will await confirmation of the Sydney vs. Brisbane line-ups and then do the McCluggage trade.
Let's see what happens and whether I can pull off a miracle! :cool:(y)
Cheers

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Haha no worries!

Although @Ironhawk picked option B, @Rowsus, @Ben's Beasts and @THCLT were all in favour of option A.
All of you have a million times more SuperCoach experience than a 2nd year player like myself! So I listened to the wise words and chose option A lol

Will await confirmation of the Sydney vs. Brisbane line-ups and then do the McCluggage trade.
Cheers
Trust me, I would have done the same in your situation. Those 3 are all far better at SC than me, so I'm sure the option you chose will work out better for you.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Haha no worries!

Cheers
Haha - as it turns out I would have gone the Daniel option as well, so hopefully that works out to be the winning choice!

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Haha no worries!

Cheers
So it looks like the option to trade Docherty was the right one, so step one of the plan has worked!
I'd be keen to see an update after the next game starts. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.