Discussion Random Facts and Youtube Clips

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
@Ironhawk , @Darkie , @Diabolical , @Professor and @Rowsus.

True or False.

1. The 40 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday are known as Lent.
2. If it could crawl non-stop at its normal speed, it would take a garden snail 2 years and 3 month to go from John o’ Groats to Land’s End.
3. Beer wasn’t classified as an alcoholic drink in Russia until 2010.
4. James and the Giant Peach was originally called James and the Giant Grape.
1. False. Lent is some sort of preparation for Easter, if I remember my Sunday School. As such, it finishes before Easter
2. False. 960km (from memory). Roughly 820 days, so we're saying roughly 1.15km/day, or 48metres/hour. Seems too much.
3. True. Why not, bloody Ruski's!
4. True. From a vague recollection I've heard it before.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
@Ironhawk , @Darkie , @Diabolical , @Professor and @Rowsus.

True or False.

1. The 40 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday are known as Lent.
2. If it could crawl non-stop at its normal speed, it would take a garden snail 2 years and 3 month to go from John o’ Groats to Land’s End.
3. Beer wasn’t classified as an alcoholic drink in Russia until 2010.
4. James and the Giant Peach was originally called James and the Giant Grape.
T
F
F
T

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
2/4

2/4

1 This seems wrong, I thought Palm Sunday was part of Lent? False.
2 From a rough calculation this is around 80cm per minute. Sounds about right from what I have seen snails do. True.
3. I hate years. Always get these wrong. I'll say True, but it's probably later.
4. I have heard before it was originally going to be some different fruit. Not sure it was Grape though. False.
2/4

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1. False. Lent is some sort of preparation for Easter, if I remember my Sunday School. As such, it finishes before Easter
2. False. 960km (from memory). Roughly 820 days, so we're saying roughly 1.15km/day, or 48metres/hour. Seems too much.
2/4

2/4

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1 This seems wrong, I thought Palm Sunday was part of Lent? False.
2 From a rough calculation this is around 80cm per minute. Sounds about right from what I have seen snails do. True.
3. I hate years. Always get these wrong. I'll say True, but it's probably later.
4. I have heard before it was originally going to be some different fruit. Not sure it was Grape though. False.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Told you I always get the year ones wrong.

As for the snail, well, I knew it would take a long time at least (obviously). Based on Rowsus' numbers it is quite close though - typing "speed of snail" into Google says they move at a speed of 0.047 km/h. Guessing the distance must be different?