Opinion Rant!

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Final trade spent on Bolton= 98 points for an average of 49.

Alternatives I considered:
R Marshall- Initially selected until the Covid news broke and reversed said trade. Would have involved a donut since neither Coleman-Jones or Treacy played last round. 60 points ahead.

T Thomas- Recent acquisition in my draft side this preseason and was hesitant considering the lack of 100+ scores and lacking dual position status. 172 points (Treacy filling in to avoid a donut) and 74 points ahead.

T Hawkins- Cautious considering I already owned Daniher and Heeney up forward as well as the lack of top line premiums I possessed, given I needed to find value to complete my side. 189 points and 89 points ahead.

S Sidebottom- For a fleeting moment I considered him but given I had enough cash to grab a forward around the $450,000 range it did not seem worthwhile. 232 points and 134 points ahead.

Heck, keeping Martin and playing F Macrae for the past fortnight over Bolton would have given me an extra 17 points.

Injury to Martin provided a perfect opportunity to reduce the amounts of Tigers to the recommended maximum (1) and I was not overly happy with Bolton given his reliance on hitting the scoreboard and a low possession winner given the Tigers game style.

AFL Club
West Coast
I tossed up trading Brayshaw to either Guthrie, Parish, Parker, Crisp and Rich. Ended up going with Rich because:
  • He was in solid form right throughout the year
  • Has two home games to finish the season
  • Thought it could help me neutralize a negative POD in next week's finals match against a potential opponent
  • It would allow me to take Bramble's score and not field Durham (since Lloyd is injured)
So based off all of this, not only does he proceed to get his worst score of the year but the opponent who I thought I would face in next week's final looks highly likely at losing his match-up and now the person who I will end up playing has Crisp & Guthrie as a PODs.
A move that made sense logically has turned out to be an absolute disaster of a trade :mad::mad:
Talk about backfire.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
20 Matt Short

20!!!!

Is that too much to &*$#@ ask????

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hate this game.
What about Billings ... sounded like he wanted to take the power play that over and then proceeded to hole out in the deep instead of waiting one more ... grrrr

- No scoreboard pressure in play either ....

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any chance we can sticky this topic for at least a day or so. I think a lot of people are not happy right now. :LOL:

While I'm here, I may as well have a mini rant about Covid. It's stuffed me around in both BBL and NBA fantasy just today, but almost every fantasy comp has been affected by it for the last few years, and it's getting worse. I know it's impact is much more substantial than just sport, and I am thankful that sporting events have largely been able to continue, but does it have to take a lot of the fun out of something we all enjoy, being fantasy sports! :mad:

AFL Club
Essendon
Any chance we can sticky this topic for at least a day or so. I think a lot of people are not happy right now. :LOL:

While I'm here, I may as well have a mini rant about Covid. It's stuffed me around in both BBL and NBA fantasy just today, but almost every fantasy comp has been affected by it for the last few years, and it's getting worse. I know it's impact is much more substantial than just sport, and I am thankful that sporting events have largely been able to continue, but does it have to take a lot of the fun out of something we all enjoy, being fantasy sports! :mad:
Yep, seconded. With what's going on with BBL SC, I'm finding it very hard to get excited for AFL SC I hate to say.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon

I can already imagine that it’s going to make for another frustrating year of AFL SC!

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Wonder if they have come across this thread as part of their study.

View: https://twitter.com/categoryb_pod/status/1479527444738568195?s=21

A new academic study has claimed that playing fantasy football can lead to a decline in mental health, that worsens significantly the more time you spend playing.

In what is claimed to be the first of its kind, research conducted by Nottingham Trent University, and published in the journal Human Behavior and Emerging Technologies, looked at the mental health and wellbeing of fantasy players, an popular activity with more than seven million active players on the Premier League’s fantasy game alone.

A survey was taken by 1,995 individuals that recorded their engagement with the game – time spent playing, researching and thinking about fantasy football – and the effect it had on their mood, social adjustment and habits. Whereas about a quarter of respondents (24.6%) said playing caused them to experience at least a mild low mood, that number almost doubled among heavy users.

A mild low mood or greater was reported by 44% of those who spent more than 45 minutes playing, more than 60 minutes researching and more than 120 minutes thinking about fantasy football a day. Of those surveyed 20.8% spent more than 45 minutes a day playing; 34% of heavy users said the game caused them at least mild anxiety (compared with 20% of all players) and 37% said it disrupted their lives, causing what the researchers called “functional impairment”. This was considerably more than double the 14% of all players who acknowledged such an effect.

Fantasy football is popular across the world, with the survey’s respondents coming from 96 countries. As well as a broad number of games and leagues to choose from there is a massive ecosystem of supporting content that offers advice on how to play, from podcasts to websites and countless social media accounts.

Researchers found that the involvement of social media added a “myriad of complex cognitive and social psychological processes that may negatively impact one’s mental health”. They also drew a comparison with video games, observing that in fantasy football there is a relative lack of control over outcomes – with points scored dictated by what occurs on a real-life pitch – something which has been identified as a risk factor in mental health. The average age of those who contributed to the study was 33 and almost 96% of respondents were male.

“Fantasy football is unwinnable for the vast majority that play and it is possible that the more a person is invested the more negatively impacted they will be when they ‘lose’,” said Dr Luke Wilkins, the lead researcher in the study and an expert in sport and exercise psychology in Nottingham Trent University’s School of Science and Technology.

“Our study highlights the general positives that the game can bring, but also warns of the potential negatives, and provides justification for the idea that more should be done to monitor the amount of time being dedicated to playing fantasy football.”

Researchers are carrying out further work focusing on a group of high-engaged fantasy football players and tracking the mental health of players over the course of a Premier League season.