Opinion Rate My AFL SuperCoach Team

AFL Club
Collingwood
Nice team, I like how you have DPP's across all lines.

Pretty high risk/reward with the mid-pricers but I suppose if they don't work then they act as good stepping stones > premos, which IMO get's you those upgrades earlier than waiting for the cows to moo.

What makes me a little nervous though is the high amount of players coming back from LTI's:
Docherty
Hill
Steven
Smith
Cockatoo
There's obviously value to be had, but I'm on a 'wait n see' for a few of those and currently have 2, maybe 3 in my team. Sometimes you gotta risk for the biskit though.
Cheers mate , thanks for the feedback.

Yes first sign of trouble for those mid pricers you mentioned and they will be gone.

Think the majority will have Doc so not that big of a issue.

Cockatoo probably won't be in my final team but fitted in nicely.

Apparently Hill , Steven & Smith are all training the house down at the moment ?

Will probably adjust it slightly to fit it in under the Salary Cap when it opens on Wednesday.

AFL Club
Richmond
Cheers mate , thanks for the feedback.

Yes first sign of trouble for those mid pricers you mentioned and they will be gone.

Think the majority will have Doc so not that big of a issue.

Cockatoo probably won't be in my final team but fitted in nicely.

Apparently Hill , Steven & Smith are all training the house down at the moment ?

Will probably adjust it slightly to fit it in under the Salary Cap when it opens on Wednesday.
In my view, I think the mid-pricers approach is much more suited to the Fantasy format where there are something like 50 trades available for year. The guy who won Fantasy 2 years in a row always preached the G & R approach but still had (and bemoaned the fact that he rarely hit them) 3-4 mid-pricers. What that allowed him to do was quickly go 'one up one down' when he identified failures with the MP's and also get the better rookies once they showed their wares. He was also very well educated with analysis done on every player in the comp.

The trouble with limited trades IMO, is burning those precious trades doing adjustments to MP's when it's hard enough just keeping up with rookie in's and out's and trying to earn enough cash.

Last year was my 1st in SC and 2nd in Fantasy. Finished at about 1300 in SC (after blowing out 500 places in the last round, mainly due to running out of trades 4 rounds out) and about 5k in Fantasy. Did my head in a bit playing both formats and getting confused sometimes as to who was good in SC or Fantasy. I'm only saying these things cos I'm a noob to the game and have a shipload to learn, so I don't reckon anyone should take much notice of what I have to say.

I am looking forward though to milking a few brainiacs here and utilising the vast amount of knowledge and experience that's on this board.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Taking a break from the Big Bash thread, thought I would come in here :)

Laird, Houston D/M , Docherty , Hill D/F , Young , Starcevich D/M (Williamson , Brander D/F)

Macrae, Neale, Fyfe, Cripps, Oliver, Rowell, Anderson , Bonar F/M (Pickett + 2)

Grundy, Gawn (Comben F/R)

Dawson D/F , Tom J Lynch , Steven F/M , D Smith F/M , Cockatoo F/M , Cameron F/R (King, Rankine)

slightly over Budget, not sure if the 5 rookie defenders will be named Round 1 and not likely to start Anderson & Bonar

1-2-5
5-0-6
2-0-1
0-4-4

= 8-6-16 fingers crossed that I could have 14 keepers

any thoughts at this early stage would be greatly appreciated
My one thought is: you're missing an F1 lock to anchor that forward line (Dusty, or Whitfield/Heeney). I'm not super keen on Laird tbh (unless Brodie Smith gets injured or Adelaide start to win a whole lot) so I would swap them around.

I know it loses the D/F link so maybe not to your taste - I've actually taken out Dawson and the structure feels a lot better.

AFL Club
Richmond
My one thought is: you're missing an F1 lock to anchor that forward line (Dusty, or Whitfield/Heeney). I'm not super keen on Laird tbh (unless Brodie Smith gets injured or Adelaide start to win a whole lot) so I would swap them around.

I know it loses the D/F link so maybe not to your taste - I've actually taken out Dawson and the structure feels a lot better.
I took Dawson out too, but maitained the D/F link with Brander or Hill Fwd, he has the same.

AFL Club
Collingwood

Thanks for the feedback.

When I did it today it was a toss up between Laird & Heeney funnily enough , Dawson could very easily swing back to defence then.

Certainly might be easier to start with one of Whitfield/Martin/Heeney as the premium forwards seem a lot easier to pick than the defender ones do at the moment.

Be interesting to see season's end where he (Dawson) is better off finishing as a Forward or Defender.

Latest version of my mid price madness squad - just considering how my team might look taking flyers on Houston or Greenwood who are both shaping up to get significant time in the midfield at this (still early) stage of the pre-season (Greenwood in would mean Dawson slides back). Still only looking at 4 premos + Steven in the midfield at the moment, which leaves room for a bit more fat on the DEF and FWD lines.

1579511852732.png

Works out to be:

1 - 4 - 2
4 - 2 - 5
2 - 0 - 1
1 - 3 - 4

Still going hard at the mid-pricers (you could argue there's 9 / 30 in that range) and there's been some juggling of rookie-priced players, but I don't think there's actually much room for 2019 draft prospects with so many 2018 (and even 2017) draftees sitting in the rookie price bracket this year.

Bonar is the one glaring omission at this point as he's sure to make some cash at North - I'll consider if/how to work him in over the next few weeks if he keeps progressing on the training track.

Hibberd is a scratching for mine now - a serious-enough knee injury in the pre-season is enough of a red flag to look elsewhere for a mid rookie. Gaff talking Brander right up and mentioning him as a potential running mate on a wing has me bringing him in as a DEF / FWD swingman.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Hawthorn
View attachment 14816

Latest iteration.

Neale, safer but overpriced, most likey, makes way for the risky, yet potentially very rewarding Josh Kelly.

Plenty of $$$ in the bank for the troublesome D5 and F5 spots.
Well that is the epitome of guns and rookies. Well played sir, 13 premos.

I'm taking on a lot more risk with one less premo and 3 more mid pricers and cheaper rookies.

I very much like it and at first glace not too many rnd 13 premos. What is your actual bye structure?

AFL Club
Hawthorn

Laird, Houston D/M , Docherty , Hill D/F , Young , Starcevich D/M (Williamson , Brander D/F)

Dawson D/F , Tom J Lynch , Steven F/M , D Smith F/M , Cockatoo F/M , Cameron F/R (King, Rankine)

slightly over Budget, not sure if the 5 rookie defenders will be named Round 1 and not likely to start Anderson & Bonar

1-2-5
5-0-6
2-0-1
0-4-4

Yeah forward line doesn't work for me. 4 mid pricers you hope will be keepers but if they are you'll need to trade 1 to get Whitfield, Heeney or Dusty (who I think are a clear f1-3 and absolutely required for full premo), neither of which have a rnd 12 bye, and those you've chosen largely share that bye or earlier from memory.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood

1-2-5
5-0-6
2-0-1
0-4-4

Some good advice above I reckon @Herbie66. Is Sicily an option for you?

AFL Club
Collingwood
Laird Sicily Houston Doc Young Starcevich Bench Mclennan Gould

Macrae Dunkley Dangerfield Treloar Sier Rowell Mead Pickett Bench Cockatoo Rivers Hibberd

Grundy Gawn Bench Comben

Dustin Martin Heeney Steven Smith Hill Bergman Bench Rankine Cameron

2.2K left over

AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah forward line doesn't work for me. 4 mid pricers you hope will be keepers but if they are you'll need to trade 1 to get Whitfield, Heeney or Dusty (who I think are a clear f1-3 and absolutely required for full premo), neither of which have a rnd 12 bye, and those you've chosen largely share that bye or earlier from memory.
confused by this comment with Dawson being D/F , still have room for all 3 of Whitfield/Martin/Heeney unless Son Son is a must.

Haven't really factored in byes yet.

Think IF Smith & Steven are cherry ripe by Round 1 , more than capable of going 90+ again as they have in the past , obviously Steven's role at Geelong will be vastly different to what he played at the Saints though.

Preseason (finally) under TJL excited to see what he could score.

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited:

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
All options at this stage , will depend on the rookies but Anderson & Bonar give me $$$ to play around with.

Might adjust to

Dawson , Houston , Docherty
Smith , Steven , Lynch

and see how that looks
Bonar is an interesting one ... I think I read a HS article talking him up, which said that he averaged 94 in the NEAFL last year.

I immediately lost all interest.