Opinion Rate My AFL SuperCoach Team

AFL Club
Richmond
I'm finding this quite the philosophical experience. Gives me plenty of time to let my ideas percolate before settling on my strategy before JLT & throwing it all out the window following the crowd with JLT bolters that flop out of the gates come the real stuff (y)
I did that last year (my 1st go at it) not falling for that trap again

AFL Club
Richmond
The thing about NicNat is that he didn’t actually finish the season injured.. his injured knee now has an extra 6 months of work and hopefully the ankle is right as rain... if he’s the professional guy I think he is he would’ve kept going over the break and I fully expect barring a new injury that he’ll be a better player than last year.. take the knee injuries and the ankle out which was essentially a collision injury with Gov, NicNat has been pretty resilient since his groins were sorted out
I like your thinking!
Would love to see him get a clear run at it again. Possibly the most exciting player in the game to watch when at full flight.

AFL Club
West Coast
This is a bit of a change from my no mid-price team of the past few weeks. Lachie Neale funds the changes that tries to shore up some potential weak spots.
Doedee replaces McLennan, turning a 3 man rookie defence into 2, one being Young. Connor Budarick, picked at F8 just because, but with a bit of cash in the bank to push him to a different forward, swings into the midfield. Now there's not much cash in the bank to switch him. Neale, of course, makes way. Flanders and Budarick, the weakest links, make way for value selections in Steven and Smith, with Hill rounding out the forward line at F6. The side would probably be stronger with an extra $40k for a Cockatoo/Starcevich type. Is sacrificing Neale worth getting Doedee, Steven and Smith? I don't mind the look of this side, despite the extra mid-price risk.

1578668272346.png

AFL Club
Hawthorn
2020 SuperCoach V2.0

D: Sicily, Docherty, Doedee, S.Hill D/F, H.Young, Starcevich D/M (Ling, Gould)

M: McRae, Fyfe, Dunkley, Dangerfield, Oliver, Rowell, Pickett, McHenry (E.Smith M/F, Collier-Dawson, H.Jones)

R: Grundy, Gawn (Comben R/F)

F: Whitfield M/F, Martin M/F, Heeney M/F, D.Smith M/F, J.Branden D/F, Rankine (King, D.Cameron R/F)

AFL Club
Melbourne
This is a bit of a change from my no mid-price team of the past few weeks. Lachie Neale funds the changes that tries to shore up some potential weak spots.
Doedee replaces McLennan, turning a 3 man rookie defence into 2, one being Young. Connor Budarick, picked at F8 just because, but with a bit of cash in the bank to push him to a different forward, swings into the midfield. Now there's not much cash in the bank to switch him. Neale, of course, makes way. Flanders and Budarick, the weakest links, make way for value selections in Steven and Smith, with Hill rounding out the forward line at F6. The side would probably be stronger with an extra $40k for a Cockatoo/Starcevich type. Is sacrificing Neale worth getting Doedee, Steven and Smith? I don't mind the look of this side, despite the extra mid-price risk.

View attachment 14385
I don’t mind it. Similar in many ways to my team, but just a few comments for consideration:
1. Rankine at F7 looks a little deep. If he plays, I would be happy to play him on field (assuming he looks good during the pre season comp etc..)
2. I’m still not convinced with Dev Smith. I currently have him in my team also as I like the “depth” it gives in the forward line, but I’m not confident about the role he’ll play this year and whether he will have the upside we are hoping for. Once again, pre season comp will hopefully help us decide whether he is worth a shot or not
3. Based on what I have read about Flanders, I think he looks like a good prospect to play on field in the Fwds. Obviously early days and dependant on selection etc.. but this may give scope to play 2 rooks up Fwd and therefore think about removing Dev Smith and using the money to bolster another line.
4. I’m a bit worried about the 4 Premo midfield. This may be ok if we have 4 “must have” mid rooks who can play on field, but I’m not currently sure whether this is the case or not.

AFL Club
Richmond
Another day, another tweak.

I'm liking this structure with no rookies at D4 or F4

With Whitfields ankle reco. he's now a 'watch'
No Cripps for now, his scores last year were far too up and down for my sanity's sake.
Have still maintained maximum DPP flexibility.

View attachment 14405
Nicely balanced team! I've got a good feeling about Josh Kelly this year. Always risky starting him but if he stays injury free capable of averaging 120+.
When did Whitfield have the ankle reco? I must have missed out on that

benlions

Rising Star Nominee
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don’t mind it. Similar in many ways to my team, but just a few comments for consideration:
1. Rankine at F7 looks a little deep. If he plays, I would be happy to play him on field (assuming he looks good during the pre season comp etc..)
2. I’m still not convinced with Dev Smith. I currently have him in my team also as I like the “depth” it gives in the forward line, but I’m not confident about the role he’ll play this year and whether he will have the upside we are hoping for. Once again, pre season comp will hopefully help us decide whether he is worth a shot or not
3. Based on what I have read about Flanders, I think he looks like a good prospect to play on field in the Fwds. Obviously early days and dependant on selection etc.. but this may give scope to play 2 rooks up Fwd and therefore think about removing Dev Smith and using the money to bolster another line.
4. I’m a bit worried about the 4 Premo midfield. This may be ok if we have 4 “must have” mid rooks who can play on field, but I’m not currently sure whether this is the case or not.
There wouldn't be many suns supporters to have Flanders in our best 22 at this point. Although, he has reportedly impressed.
Like most clubs there is a group guaranteed selection if fit. Not necessarily our best players but these guys will be in the team every week if available:
Swallow, Witts, Bowes, Fiorini, Ellis, Greenwood, Sexton, Thompson, King, Rankine, Ainsworth, Weller, Harbrow, Lukosius

Tall defenders vying for 2 spots: Collins, Hombsch, Ballard
Tall forwards vying for 1 spot: Wright, Day...Corbett
Outside mids / flankers 1 spot: Powell, Hanley
Forward mids - 1: Macpherson, Flanders, Anderson,
True mids 3 spots - Miller, Rowell, Miles, Brodie,

I would have our round 1 team as

Ballard Thompson Harbrow
Lukosius Collins Weller
Ellis Swallow Bowes
Ainsworth Wright Macpherson
Sexton King Rankine

Witts Greenwood, Fiorini

Miller, Brodie, Rowell, Powell

e: Anderson, Miles, Hombsch, Flanders, Hanley, Day

AFL Club
Melbourne
There wouldn't be many suns supporters to have Flanders in our best 22 at this point. Although, he has reportedly impressed.
Like most clubs there is a group guaranteed selection if fit. Not necessarily our best players but these guys will be in the team every week if available:
Swallow, Witts, Bowes, Fiorini, Ellis, Greenwood, Sexton, Thompson, King, Rankine, Ainsworth, Weller, Harbrow, Lukosius

Ballard Thompson Harbrow
Lukosius Collins Weller
Ellis Swallow Bowes
Sexton King Rankine

Witts Greenwood, Fiorini

So you’re telling me there’s a chance? ?
Seriously though, this is some good information. I guess Flanders, likes many rookies, needs a few breaks to get a game (early). Just have to wait and see I suppose.

benlions

Rising Star Nominee
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So you’re telling me there’s a chance? ?
Seriously though, this is some good information. I guess Flanders, likes many rookies, needs a few breaks to get a game (early). Just have to wait and see I suppose.
Flanders has plenty in his favour and with Anderson brings something unique to the squad. Reckon it'll be a little later in the season before we see him though.

Pre-season will be revealing!

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood

Ballard Thompson Harbrow
Lukosius Collins Weller
Ellis Swallow Bowes
Sexton King Rankine

Witts Greenwood, Fiorini

We don't have many Suns supporters posting full-stop, so this is excellent info ... thanks for sharing!

Do you have any GC players on your shortlist to start?

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
2020 SuperCoach V2.0

D: Sicily, Docherty, Doedee, S.Hill D/F, H.Young, Starcevich D/M (Ling, Gould)

M: McRae, Fyfe, Dunkley, Dangerfield, Oliver, Rowell, Pickett, McHenry (E.Smith M/F, Collier-Dawson, H.Jones)

R: Grundy, Gawn (Comben R/F)

F: Whitfield M/F, Martin M/F, Heeney M/F, D.Smith M/F, J.Branden D/F, Rankine (King, D.Cameron R/F)
Nice side, with a lot of similarities to mine (11/15 non-rookie players - Fyfe and Dunkley vs Cripps and Neale, and Whitfield and Doedee vs Laird and Roberton).

You're probably taking a little more injury risk than me, but I'd say your players have more upside from their prices. I think that's just a matter of personal preference. The structure is good and pretty well balanced too.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Another day, another tweak.

I'm liking this structure with no rookies at D4 or F4

With Whitfields ankle reco. he's now a 'watch'
No Cripps for now, his scores last year were far too up and down for my sanity's sake.
Have still maintained maximum DPP flexibility.

View attachment 14405
An interesting side with some POD picks. A few thoughts:

- Your structure is very deep up forward wth Rankine at F6. Given how bad the forward rookies can be, this looks good, but it may be deeper than you need. Hill obviously provides you with flexibility if appropriate.

- As it happens, your other GWS players have had significant issues getting on the park (similar to Whitfield, although sometimes for different reasons). Over the last three years, Williams has missed 26 games (mainly in 2018), Cogs has missed 23, and Kelly has missed 16. They are all in your top eight players by price, so there's a fairly big investment there in players who haven't been that reliable in the past. From memory GWS haven't been that transparent with their players' health either, so this might be something to consider.

- On your DPP flexibity, this can be very handy, and in general I think it's best to take the DPP if there's nothing else to distinguish options. With that said, some DPP is typically much more useful than others. As an example, if Williams and Macrae were both D M, that would be a bonus, but probably not that helpful in most scenarios because you are picking them to be top players in their respective lines, and unlikely to switch them around ... you'd likely need to use a trade to make any productive use of their DPP, so having them connected in a loop doesn't make much difference in my view. Personally I think DPP loops are most useful when they allow you to restructure without trading ... for example the Bianco and Houston loop, because one is a rookie and the other a premium. It's a minor point, but something to bear in mind if you feel like you've made any compromises to maximise your DPP flexibility, or if things change and you're making last minute changes.

Good luck!

AFL Club
Richmond
An interesting side with some POD picks. A few thoughts:

- Your structure is very deep up forward wth Rankine at F6. Given how bad the forward rookies can be, this looks good, but it may be deeper than you need. Hill obviously provides you with flexibility if appropriate.

- As it happens, your other GWS players have had significant issues getting on the park (similar to Whitfield, although sometimes for different reasons). Over the last three years, Williams has missed 26 games (mainly in 2018), Cogs has missed 23, and Kelly has missed 16. They are all in your top eight players by price, so there's a fairly big investment there in players who haven't been that reliable in the past. From memory GWS haven't been that transparent with their players' health either, so this might be something to consider.

- On your DPP flexibity, this can be very handy, and in general I think it's best to take the DPP if there's nothing else to distinguish options. With that said, some DPP is typically much more useful than others. As an example, if Williams and Macrae were both D M, that would be a bonus, but probably not that helpful in most scenarios because you are picking them to be top players in their respective lines, and unlikely to switch them around ... you'd likely need to use a trade to make any productive use of their DPP, so having them connected in a loop doesn't make much difference in my view. Personally I think DPP loops are most useful when they allow you to restructure without trading ... for example the Bianco and Houston loop, because one is a rookie and the other a premium. It's a minor point, but something to bear in mind if you feel like you've made any compromises to maximise your DPP flexibility, or if things change and you're making last minute changes.

Good luck!
Thanks @Darkie This is the sort of feedback that I'm after. It's only my 2nd year at SCing, finished last year at 1300 odd but ran out of trades with 2-3 rounds to go with the last round dropping me 500 odd places. With all the helpful advice around that sort of finish would have been nigh on impossible without it.

I am suss on the GWS boys, Jelly hurt, held Whitfield over the byes which hurt and a Cogs donut was painful too. It's one of the reasons I don't think I'll start with Whitfield, but by all reports the other 3 are fit and putting in full pre seasons, I see GWS as winning a lot of games throughout the year and they are a traditionally high scoring team, that being said, I will still be very watchful.

Last year I had a good starting team until I started listening too and reacting to the 'group think', this year I'm going to trust my gut a bit more.

The DPP flexibility for me is more about having injury and late outs cover, plus the trading bonus. A lot of the guys with DPP for me are rookies and if there are better options than them for mooing purposes then I'll take them. I will check out who is the best late playing ruck rookie with DPP cos as we saw last year with ROB that ability to swap out a Fwd for a ruck breakout was very handy.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks @Darkie This is the sort of feedback that I'm after. It's only my 2nd year at SCing, finished last year at 1300 odd but ran out of trades with 2-3 rounds to go with the last round dropping me 500 odd places. With all the helpful advice around that sort of finish would have been nigh on impossible without it.

I am suss on the GWS boys, Jelly hurt, held Whitfield over the byes which hurt and a Cogs donut was painful too. It's one of the reasons I don't think I'll start with Whitfield, but by all reports the other 3 are fit and putting in full pre seasons, I see GWS as winning a lot of games throughout the year and they are a traditionally high scoring team, that being said, I will still be very watchful.

Last year I had a good starting team until I started listening too and reacting to the 'group think', this year I'm going to trust my gut a bit more.

The DPP flexibility for me is more about having injury and late outs cover, plus the trading bonus. A lot of the guys with DPP for me are rookies and if there are better options than them for mooing purposes then I'll take them. I will check out who is the best late playing ruck rookie with DPP cos as we saw last year with ROB that ability to swap out a Fwd for a ruck breakout was very handy.
Good to hear, this makes sense. There are obviously things we can learn from each other, but personally one of the most frustrating things is not backing your gut on a lineball call, and losing out by doing so. Typically my approach now is to weigh feedback more heavily if it’s consistent, from people I have a lot of respect for on an issue they are more expert on (eg a knowledgeable Port fan on a Port player), and not in direct contrast to something I feel strongly about.

In terms of running out of trades 2-3 weeks out, managing your overall injury risk, and having DPP should obviously assist. With that said, it’s not unusual for some of the very best players to “run out” of trades somewhat early, because trades are generally more valuable if they’re used early (ie they have a longer period to benefit your side, in terms of points on the ground). I’ve found that I use my last 1-2 very carefully, but am happy to use earlier trades so long as I think they will add sufficient points for me over the season (I use c. 150 points as a benchmark). Often where you land on the timing of the last couple of trades depends on how lucky/unlucky you are with injuries late in the year, but you can obviously help protect yourself by making good calls earlier in the year.

Well done on suck a strong ranking in your first year, hopefully you can improve on it this season!

AFL Club
Richmond
Good to hear, this makes sense. There are obviously things we can learn from each other, but personally one of the most frustrating things is not backing your gut on a lineball call, and losing out by doing so. Typically my approach now is to weigh feedback more heavily if it’s consistent, from people I have a lot of respect for on an issue they are more expert on (eg a knowledgeable Port fan on a Port player), and not in direct contrast to something I feel strongly about.

In terms of running out of trades 2-3 weeks out, managing your overall injury risk, and having DPP should obviously assist. With that said, it’s not unusual for some of the very best players to “run out” of trades somewhat early, because trades are generally more valuable if they’re used early (ie they have a longer period to benefit your side, in terms of points on the ground). I’ve found that I use my last 1-2 very carefully, but am happy to use earlier trades so long as I think they will add sufficient points for me over the season (I use c. 150 points as a benchmark). Often where you land on the timing of the last couple of trades depends on how lucky/unlucky you are with injuries late in the year, but you can obviously help protect yourself by making good calls earlier in the year.

Well done on suck a strong ranking in your first year, hopefully you can improve on it this season!
Cheers @Darkie

You obviously put in a lot of time with your research and are one of the guys that is a lot more expert in this game than some others, so I do value your opinion. Interesting that you use the 150 pts gain as a benchmark, I'm assuming that's for premo corrections. I have been using the 150k benchmark to quantify my trades (barring sideways LTI trades).

I was lucky enough last year to have earnt enough cash to have viable M9, D7 and F7 loopable options, so some of my choices have been made bearing that in mind. I guess one of the reasons I used my trades early was to maximise BE's particularly with the rookies.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cheers @Darkie

You obviously put in a lot of time with your research and are one of the guys that is a lot more expert in this game than some others, so I do value your opinion. Interesting that you use the 150 pts gain as a benchmark, I'm assuming that's for premo corrections. I have been using the 150k benchmark to quantify my trades (barring sideways LTI trades).

I was lucky enough last year to have earnt enough cash to have viable M9, D7 and F7 loopable options, so some of my choices have been made bearing that in mind. I guess one of the reasons I used my trades early was to maximise BE's particularly with the rookies.
That's excellent going, especially in your first year. Have you played other fantasy sports before?

In terms of the value of a trade, I've seen other people value them in dollar terms as well, and come up with around that $150k mark. That's the benchmark I look for for my rookies to generate, albeit most probably don't quite get there even if they're good (but not amazing) picks.

Personally I took the view that it makes more sense to value trades in points, in terms of deciding whether I've found a move that makes using that trade worthwhile. My reasoning is that (1) the winner of the game is the one with the most points, not the most cash, and (2) the value of a dollar changes over the course of the season (because you are investing it for a longer or shorter period), whereas the value of a point is obviously constant.

I think the value of a trade has to be at least 100 or so points, because that's the value of covering a premium donut in the last couple of rounds, and I don't think it can be a long way higher than that, or you wouldn't end up using them all. Technically the value of a trade will also decline over the course of a season, so I go with slightly higher early on and slightly lower later on, but I find that around 150 works well for me, and is in the ball park of the right number.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Geelong

Ballard Thompson Harbrow
Lukosius Collins Weller
Ellis Swallow Bowes
Sexton King Rankine

Witts Greenwood, Fiorini

Nice review, any inside word as to whether Greenwood is likely to get more midfield minutes than he got at the Crows?