Opinion Rate My Team

AFL Club
Adelaide
First time putting a team together this year ...interesting to go back and read this thread to see who is thinking on similar lines...or not of course.

DEF: Blakely, Witherden, Z WIlliams, Williamson, Rozee (FWD), Logue Burgess (FWD) Answerth (MID)

MID: Fyfe, Cripps, D Martin, Z Merrett, M Crouch, Zorko, Constable, Bewley, Hind, Sparrow, Woodcock (MID)

RUC: Goldstein, Kreuzer Xerrri (FWD)

FWD Dangerfield, Heeney, Gray, Wingard, Setterfield, Corbett, Parker, Cavarra

48k left

Early thoughts.....

With the decision of Mitchell taken out of everyone's hands after his injury the extra $$ to spend could create extra PODs in a lot of teams so that equals an interesting year. Captain choice more up for grabs too. I'm finding it a little easier to add an extra premo in than other years but those $$ need to be spent wisely.

I'll be going light in def and ruck - I like the value players there and while I will be aiming to get 3 of Laird/Lloyd/Whitfield/Sicily in my team at some stage I will be looking to Blakely/Witherden/Williams to lead my def this year. It is a similar story in the Ruck with Grundy and Gawn. I think Goldy is looking good this year and I think he can be a top 2 ruck in 2019. I am happy to use Special K at this stage as my stepping stone to whichever of Grundy/Gawn is looking a top 2 ruck.

The mids have a lot of nice names at value prices. Cripps/Fyfe/Martin/Zerrett/MCrouch/Zorko feels pretty good. Zorko is my little X Factor POD - hoping Beams/Neale is like for like and he can return to his 2017 form.

FWD's i have gone solid with Danger the biggest lock in many many years, Gray (like his pre season) Heeney (solid) and Wingard the value pick. There are many other options in the Fwds I like too but certainly leaning to 4 non rookies here

PODS - not in my team but very interested include B Crouch and Milera from my crows, Josh Battle - him in a Sicily role is intriguing, Jack Billings - maybe we went a year early? the talent is there and he could improve with Brett Ratten coming to the club and gulp Aaron Hall who is just a pig when he is hot - in all seriousness I would never go there in SC but in RDT I just might....

Last edited:
240pm19012019.JPG
$3200 Cash leftover

Thank you guys for all the fantastic info' on this site. Here's is my side and some of the thinking behind it.

ROOKIES - going for mature bodies when can - see how they all fare pre-season - will also bring in VFL star Michael Gibbons for K Pudney if/when he gets drafted by Carlton (or Hawthorn?)

DEF: At this stage rookies seem a little light - hence risk with Brodie Smith (stepping stone - bonus if keeper), and paying extra for Logue

NOTE - Witherden: expect to gain points from the new kick-in rule - brought in for Connor Blakley who spoke with Ross and Connor now expects midfield time to be shared around, so not good for his SC.

MIDS: 5 keepers
Cripps and Macrae in as Captains options.
M. Owies in as Captain Loophole AND M/F link
(Loophole article and SPREADSHEET here, kindly Written & Created By AllSaints over at SuperCoachTalk:
http://supercoachtalk.com/2019-loophole-options/

A.Miles - stepping stone - bonus if keeper, also coach plans to put him in midfield to ease pressure on kids. He's capable of big numbers and has a strong body missing few games through injury - which can't be said for some of the touted mid-pricers...
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/year.php?firstname=Anthony&surname=Miles&year=2015

RUCKS: 1 to 2 keepers
- Brodie in as Captains option
- Kreuzer: Stepping stone - bonus if keeper - capable of big numbers and training well - but have Lycett on stand-by in forward line (F/R Bines on bench)

FORWARDS: 3 Keepers
- Dangerfield as another Captains option.
- Scott Lycett in as security for Kreuzer at the start of the season, then to be a stepping stone during the season
Regarding the above - all subject to change!

AFL Club
Collingwood
Defenders

Rory Laird $587,600, Connor Blakely $461,800, Zac Williams $407,800, Nic Newman $394,100, Sam Collins $188,900, Xavier Duursma $130,800,

Marty Hore $117,300, Harrison Wigg $102,400

Midfielders

Jack Macrae [V] $689,700, Josh Kelly $617,800, Dustin Martin $563,800, Angus Brayshaw $526,900, Brad Crouch $418,000, Sam Walsh $207,300, Jackson Hately $148,800, Will Setterfield $144,900

Brett Bewley $117,300, Nick Hind $117,300, Luke Foley $117,300

Rucks

Brodie Grundy [C] $708,200, llllSam Jacobs $455,700

Jordon Sweet $102,400

Forwards

Patrick Dangerfield $660,500, Devon Smith $531,300,Chad Wingard $481,100, Jack Billings $437,600, Izak Rankine $198,300, Christopher Burgess $123,900

Joshua Corbett $123,900, Ben Cavarra $117,300

anythoughts on my first side would be much appreciated not sure on billings and newman was thinking brodie smith and degoey instead

View attachment 6207
$3200 Cash leftover

Thank you guys for all the fantastic info' on this site. Here's is my side and some of the thinking behind it.

ROOKIES - going for mature bodies when can - see how they all fare pre-season - will also bring in VFL star Michael Gibbons for K Pudney if/when he gets drafted by Carlton (or Hawthorn?)

DEF: At this stage rookies seem a little light - hence risk with Brodie Smith (stepping stone - bonus if keeper), and paying extra for Logue

NOTE - Witherden: expect to gain points from the new kick-in rule - brought in for Connor Blakley who spoke with Ross and Connor now expects midfield time to be shared around, so not good for his SC.

(Loophole article and SPREADSHEET here, kindly Written & Created By AllSaints over at SuperCoachTalk:

A.Miles - stepping stone - bonus if keeper, also coach plans to put him in midfield to ease pressure on kids. He's capable of big numbers and has a strong body missing few games through injury - which can't be said for some of the touted mid-pricers...
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/year.php?firstname=Anthony&surname=Miles&year=2015

- Kreuzer: Stepping stone - bonus if keeper - capable of big numbers and training well - but have Lycett on stand-by in forward line (F/R Bines on bench)

- Scott Lycett in as security for Kreuzer at the start of the season, then to be a stepping stone during the season

What do you see Lycett and Kruezer averaging first 12 weeks ?

AFL Club
Collingwood
You can't be particularly comfortable with Longer and Newman surely?
I want Longer to work as a pick as I think the profit-making-ruck into premo strategy has merit but there's people on the St Kilda BF board comparing him to an inanimate tall object. He might win some hitouts but then does very little else and has had foot surgery in the off season - urff.
Longer certainly doesn't sound like a Keeper, but could make a bit of money for an upgrade if he is fit and can average in the 80s. In 2017 he did avg 78. Played 65 games and will be 26yo.
Worth some thought if he is the sole ruckman and the start of the season is about making money.

Longer had the surgery on his ankle done early, so he can have a good preseason. And maybe it was his injuries that slowed him down?

13 May 2017
A leaner and harder-working Billy Longer says he is ready to deliver as St Kilda's No. 1 ruckman.
Longer returned to the Saints' senior side in round five against Geelong for his first AFL game since 2015.
The big man held the ruck mantle in 2015 and played 18 matches, but had his season ended early by a right shoulder injury that eventually required a reconstruction.
"It was sore for a long time (after the operation) and to be honest, I wasn't really sure if it had healed properly," he said.
"I was getting a lot of feedback that I was going slower than I should be, but it wasn't until probably three-plus months after the surgery that I ended up getting a cortisone mix with something else, which made it feel almost brand-new again.
"For the first time in three-plus months of rehab, I was finally able to get it to move properly. From then on, strength training was so much easier."
Dinny Navaratnam for AFL.com.au

AFL Club
Collingwood
………..Not a fan of high priced rookies generally, especially first year players, but I’m of the opinion Walsh picks himself and I’ve put the Teal coloured glasses on for Rozee………..
Could you clarify something for me BigRuss about Rozee. He is listed as a Fwd/Def, but reports that I have read say he is likely to play midfield. I don't see the connection?

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Could you clarify something for me BigRuss about Rozee. He is listed as a Fwd/Def, but reports that I have read say he is likely to play midfield. I don't see the connection?
Will be playing forward flank from my understanding mate. Likely takes the midfield rotations than come with the position too.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
View attachment 6207
$3200 Cash leftover

Nicely explained, and quite a lot of this looks good to me. A few thoughts/suggestions:

If you need a safety net for your stepping stone, they're almost certainly not worth it. With that said, if you plan to use Kreuzer and Lycett as described, I would suggest switching one of them for Mummy, who could make more cash, or Westhoff, who could easily be a forward keeper and season long cover. I have both.

Seb Ross is interesting. I see he finished the year well, but other than that I had never considered him capable of performing at mid keeper level in SC. Do you have a strong view on him? It's a pretty big call to pick him ahead of Fyfe or perhaps Dusty, although if you are correct, I suppose the payoff could be reasonable.

Most teams seem to have Walsh and Setterfield, whereas other than Logue your rookies are close to bottom priced. You're also low on cash, so I'd think about where you would raise cash if you needed to.

Overall it looks like a pretty good side, but one that could be improved by cutting one mid priced player you don't expect to be a keeper, and reinvesting that cash into improving the quality of some of the other players you're not completely sure of. There's no issue in having one or two more rookies on field, if it means you have a better set of keepers, in my view.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Here where my team sits at the moment.

Whitfield, Blakey, Williams, Rozee, Logue, Burgess, Hore, Wigg

Macrae, Cripps, Fyfe, Kelly, Martin, Walsh, Bennell, Stocker, Bewley, Woodcock, Hind

Grundy, Kreuzer, Bines

Danger, Heeney, Gray, Lynch, Setterfield, Mcadam, Parker, Cavarra

I’ve said it before but I absolutely despise the defenders this year. Really struggling to find a combo I feel happy with. I’ll likely track what seems to be the most popular 3 players and run with them.

I’ve been married to the Macrae pick for a while now but I’m starting to resign myself to the fact that he’s the bloke likely to get the chop if I need to pull funds from somewhere. Merrett injury is unfortunate as I was red hot on him all pre season. If the injury isn’t too bad, Kelly likely makes way for him.

At this stage I feel like we’re going to get enough rookies to not have to gamble on the Miles/Hannebery types, though I’m open to the picks if they present themselves.

Not a fan of high priced rookies generally, especially first year players, but I’m of the opinion Walsh picks himself and I’ve put the Teal coloured glasses on for Rozee.

The more I look at the rucks the more I’m inclined to think Kreuz offers the best value for money. The question remains if value is the way to go this season and I’m strongly considering shuffling some picks around and forking out the money for Grundy & Gawn. I just can’t see any other rucks getting close to either of them, If the both stay fit they will be the top 2 rucks.

Forwards are pretty vanilla which I don’t mind at all at this point. I haven’t started a KPP in my side since Buddy about 5 years ago but Lynch makes a lot of sense as a pick.

Cheers for any feedback lads.
Nice side mate. Not a lot I would change here, I can see the arguments for the players I don't have myself.

Kreuzer is the main one I'm unsure on. Are you picking him as a keeper or a stepping stone, or intentionally retaining that option? To me he is heap but is quite unlikely to be a competitive R2 ... so if he's a stepping stone, that makes sense to me, but as a keeper I'd be less sure.

Also re Macrae, is it going to really annoy you if your view on his ability is correct and you haven't started him? Or will you be okay with that so long as you can upgrade into him without too much difficulty?

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Here where my team sits at the moment.

Whitfield, Blakey, Williams, Rozee, Logue, Burgess, Hore, Wigg

Macrae, Cripps, Fyfe, Kelly, Martin, Walsh, Bennell, Stocker, Bewley, Woodcock, Hind

Grundy, Kreuzer, Bines

Danger, Heeney, Gray, Lynch, Setterfield, Mcadam, Parker, Cavarra

I’ve said it before but I absolutely despise the defenders this year. Really struggling to find a combo I feel happy with. I’ll likely track what seems to be the most popular 3 players and run with them.

I’ve been married to the Macrae pick for a while now but I’m starting to resign myself to the fact that he’s the bloke likely to get the chop if I need to pull funds from somewhere. Merrett injury is unfortunate as I was red hot on him all pre season. If the injury isn’t too bad, Kelly likely makes way for him.

At this stage I feel like we’re going to get enough rookies to not have to gamble on the Miles/Hannebery types, though I’m open to the picks if they present themselves.

Not a fan of high priced rookies generally, especially first year players, but I’m of the opinion Walsh picks himself and I’ve put the Teal coloured glasses on for Rozee.

The more I look at the rucks the more I’m inclined to think Kreuz offers the best value for money. The question remains if value is the way to go this season and I’m strongly considering shuffling some picks around and forking out the money for Grundy & Gawn. I just can’t see any other rucks getting close to either of them, If the both stay fit they will be the top 2 rucks.

Forwards are pretty vanilla which I don’t mind at all at this point. I haven’t started a KPP in my side since Buddy about 5 years ago but Lynch makes a lot of sense as a pick.

Cheers for any feedback lads.
Only differences to my side are Macrae, JKelly, Lynch to Oliver, Zerrett and Wingard so looks good!

Injury risk on Lynch is the only concern I would have on him. If Rozee is solid enough, you could swap Lynch with a Witherden type in defence (I hope Rozee gets up cos that DPP is gonna be very handy).

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
First time putting a team together this year ...interesting to go back and read this thread to see who is thinking on similar lines...or not of course.

DEF: Blakely, Witherden, Z WIlliams, Williamson, Rozee (FWD), Logue Burgess (FWD) Answerth (MID)

MID: Fyfe, Cripps, D Martin, Z Merrett, M Crouch, Zorko, Constable, Bewley, Hind, Sparrow, Woodcock (MID)

RUC: Goldstein, Kreuzer Xerrri (FWD)

FWD Dangerfield, Heeney, Gray, Wingard, Setterfield, Corbett, Parker, Cavarra

48k left

Early thoughts.....

With the decision of Mitchell taken out of everyone's hands after his injury the extra $$ to spend could create extra PODs in a lot of teams so that equals an interesting year. Captain choice more up for grabs too. I'm finding it a little easier to add an extra premo in than other years but those $$ need to be spent wisely.

I'll be going light in def and ruck - I like the value players there and while I will be aiming to get 3 of Laird/Lloyd/Whitfield/Sicily in my team at some stage I will be looking to Blakely/Witherden/Williams to lead my def this year. It is a similar story in the Ruck with Grundy and Gawn. I think Goldy is looking good this year and I think he can be a top 2 ruck in 2019. I am happy to use Special K at this stage as my stepping stone to whichever of Grundy/Gawn is looking a top 2 ruck.

The mids have a lot of nice names at value prices. Cripps/Fyfe/Martin/Zerrett/MCrouch/Zorko feels pretty good. Zorko is my little X Factor POD - hoping Beams/Neale is like for like and he can return to his 2017 form.

FWD's i have gone solid with Danger the biggest lock in many many years, Gray (like his pre season) Heeney (solid) and Wingard the value pick. There are many other options in the Fwds I like too but certainly leaning to 4 non rookies here

PODS - not in my team but very interested include B Crouch and Milera from my crows, Josh Battle - him in a Sicily role is intriguing, Jack Billings - maybe we went a year early? the talent is there and he could improve with Brett Ratten coming to the club and gulp Aaron Hall who is just a pig when he is hot - in all seriousness I would never go there in SC but in RDT I just might....
Interesting side... this side seems to be heavily based around value and could get off to a flyer.

You’ve squeezed in a 15th “keeper” by taking Goldstein and Zorko. Most would have Grundy and a rookie there.

You also have three 550k mids and three $450k ish defenders as well. Chasing a lot of value but I think you’ve got the right names (ie: no Hanley, Greene, Hanners, Roberton types). If most of Witherden, Zorko, Goldy (as well as Blakely, ZWilliams, Zerrett, Dusty, Kreuzer) come off, you’ll definitely hold an advantage even late season. The trap could be if 3-4 of these guys disappoint and leave you 10ppg behind the top bracket player.

AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting side... this side seems to be heavily based around value and could get off to a flyer.

You’ve squeezed in a 15th “keeper” by taking Goldstein and Zorko. Most would have Grundy and a rookie there.

You also have three 550k mids and three $450k ish defenders as well. Chasing a lot of value but I think you’ve got the right names (ie: no Hanley, Greene, Hanners, Roberton types). If most of Witherden, Zorko, Goldy (as well as Blakely, ZWilliams, Zerrett, Dusty, Kreuzer) come off, you’ll definitely hold an advantage even late season. The trap could be if 3-4 of these guys disappoint and leave you 10ppg behind the top bracket player.
I'd be interested to see how Zorko goes on games he played alongside Beams... Neale coming in will have an effect on him, not sure what way though.

As for the team - I really like it. 6 deep in the mids might be too strong, but other than that the balance looks great. I think as the preseason progresses, teams might start to resemble this, based off what JLT shows us regarding new rules.

Nicely explained, and quite a lot of this looks good to me. A few thoughts/suggestions:

If you need a safety net for your stepping stone, they're almost certainly not worth it. With that said, if you plan to use Kreuzer and Lycett as described, I would suggest switching one of them for Mummy, who could make more cash, or Westhoff, who could easily be a forward keeper and season long cover. I have both.

Seb Ross is interesting. I see he finished the year well, but other than that I had never considered him capable of performing at mid keeper level in SC. Do you have a strong view on him? It's a pretty big call to pick him ahead of Fyfe or perhaps Dusty, although if you are correct, I suppose the payoff could be reasonable.

Most teams seem to have Walsh and Setterfield, whereas other than Logue your rookies are close to bottom priced. You're also low on cash, so I'd think about where you would raise cash if you needed to.

Overall it looks like a pretty good side, but one that could be improved by cutting one mid priced player you don't expect to be a keeper, and reinvesting that cash into improving the quality of some of the other players you're not completely sure of. There's no issue in having one or two more rookies on field, if it means you have a better set of keepers, in my view.
Thanks for the feedback Darkie.

Re:
If you need a safety net for your stepping stone, they're almost certainly not worth it. With that said, if you plan to use Kreuzer and Lycett as described, I would suggest switching one of them for Mummy, who could make more cash, or Westhoff, who could easily be a forward keeper and season-long cover. I have both.
- You called me out here, and rightly so. Lycett is an over-priced security blanket for Kruezer so is not worth it, so is out.
- So he is gone for Rozee (F/D), Walsh in the middle, Collins in the backline.
- Seb Ross gets upgraded for Adam Treloar

I like Seb Ross in this price range (but now I can afford Treloar, he comes first) - Dusty has a small query about him so will wait to see him play. Fyfe may be a good captain option, so is Treloar with lots of Collingwood's game early in each round:
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/2018-fixture#season=CD_S2019014&round=CD_R201901401
but Fyfe worries me slightly injury-wise.

- Now that I can get Walsh will get him
- Settlefield body unproven (may not be right for round one), so will keep away until he plays
- 40 grand cash left

- As a mid-pricer, will keep Brodie Smith as is training well - has well-proven upside, and maybe a keeper - I think the new rules will suit run-and-carry backline players
- As a mid-pricer, will keep Anthony Miles as is training well, hardened body ready, has a well-proven upside:
and maybe a keeper - WIll get the opportunity to play in the middle which he didn't get last two seasons at Richmond, the new coach told him he's playing in the guts to protect the kids coming through
- As an upper mid-pricer, will keep Mathew Kruezer as is training well - has well-proven upside, and maybe a keeper. I am gambling he stays on the park.
- As an upper mid-pricer, Scott Lycett is gone - no upside

Again, thanks for your feedback Darkie - When I see you post I always find them invaluable and much appreciated!

Time to leave my team alone - until closer to the season launch.

117pm01202019.JPG

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Only differences to my side are Macrae, JKelly, Lynch to Oliver, Zerrett and Wingard so looks good!

Injury risk on Lynch is the only concern I would have on him. If Rozee is solid enough, you could swap Lynch with a Witherden type in defence (I hope Rozee gets up cos that DPP is gonna be very handy).
Coincedentally I’d had Merrett & Wingard in before the news of Merretts injury scare. Had to pull funds from Wingard to facilitate the change.

If Merretts injury isn’t too bad I’ll likely make the switch back. I’m generally opposed to KPP for supercoach so I’m by no means locked into Lynch.

Would mean Macrae & Oliver the only difference outside of rookies. I seem to remember us having fairly similar starting sides last season too interestingly enough.

You don’t seem to worried about the double shoulder surgery for Oliver? Shoulder injuries are bloody nasty things to get over in my experience, scared me off him a little bit. Could end up a nice early season POD for those that take him.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nice side mate. Not a lot I would change here, I can see the arguments for the players I don't have myself.

Kreuzer is the main one I'm unsure on. Are you picking him as a keeper or a stepping stone, or intentionally retaining that option? To me he is heap but is quite unlikely to be a competitive R2 ... so if he's a stepping stone, that makes sense to me, but as a keeper I'd be less sure.

Also re Macrae, is it going to really annoy you if your view on his ability is correct and you haven't started him? Or will you be okay with that so long as you can upgrade into him without too much difficulty?
To be honest I don’t feel great about the Kreuzer pick either, but although Goldy provides a likely more stable and less risky selection, I feel even less comfortable about him as I’d be likely to sit on him all year as I did with Stef last season and resist the possible Gawn trade in.

I’ll be resisting dropping Macrae until the death, I’ll stand by my statement that I think he’ll be recognised as the best player in the league by years end. Would take a bit to make me move him, but it has to be on the table if certain opportunities present.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
Rucks will determine my set-up, don't want to be that guy but wouldn't mind seeing Gawn miss an early chunk of the season so I could run Preuss at R2.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Finding it tough to settle on a team this year - rucks are rucked, the top mids have injury concerns and there are loads of questions about how the new rules will affect the back scoring.

Current draft has Macrae, Grundy and Gawn :unsure::unsure:

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
@FunDog1

No worries, glad to hear the feedback was helpful!

Keeping the mid priced names you are confident in is fine from my perspective. You should stick to your guns if you feel strongly, and I can see the arguments for Kreuzer, Smith and Miles.

Your other changes look good to me, so I like how your team is shaping up.

Just a couple of things to flag on Treloar:

- Beams coming into the side could have an impact on him.
- You are right to consider game order in terms of who is useful for VC and C options, although one disadvantage of Treloar is that he plays in the same side as Grundy - who is going to be a better VC option than Treloar most of the time. Ideally a captaincy option would play in a different team to your existing ones.
- Treloar is a decent scorer in his own right, but doesn't tend to deliver the really big scores I'd be looking for from a VC. Personally I like to gauge this by only counting the points a player scores over the course of a season above a 120 threshold (so a 130 would count as 10 points, a 110 would count as 0), because this is usually about what I expect from my backup (C) player. On this basis over the last three years, Treloar has delivered around 50 points (from 13 games), 60 points and 140 points. For Fyfe, the equivalent numbers are 170 points (15 games), 90 points, 60 points (from only 5 games) and 220 points (2015). [In 2018 Grundy managed 350!]

Fyfe also tends to play a lot of late games, so if you can get him in, he could be a good C option to pair with Grundy and others.

AFL Club
Essendon
Finding it tough to settle on a team this year - rucks are rucked, the top mids have injury concerns and there are loads of questions about how the new rules will affect the back scoring.

Current draft has Macrae, Grundy and Gawn :unsure::unsure:
And 2 of those I'd say are debatable!

That's all part of the fun of it... Or so we tell ourselves...