Opinion Rate My Team

AFL Club
Essendon
I would rather go three premos in the fwd and put Merrett in the mid
Yeah that's better in theory but you have to worry about the fact that the forwards rookies are a bit more likely to score less on field and I also think more of a risk to be dropped than defenders. By filling up those spaces in your midfield you might be limiting who you can bring in, you can end up with a better final 8 mids in the 2nd half of the year if you have 3 vacant spots rather than 2. I also think Heeney and Gray can both average 105+. I prefer 6 deep in the mids usually but with only 14 mid priced and premium starters I think a 3-6-2-3 structure is too midfield heavy.

AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah that's better in theory but you have to worry about the fact that the forwards rookies are a bit more likely to score less on field and I also think more of a risk to be dropped than defenders. By filling up those spaces in your midfield you might be limiting who you can bring in, you can end up with a better final 8 mids in the 2nd half of the year if you have 3 vacant spots rather than 2. I also think Heeney and Gray can both average 105+. I prefer 6 deep in the mids usually but with only 14 mid priced and premium starters I think a 3-6-2-3 structure is too midfield heavy.
I agree with this. Ultimately we are chasing the best rookies for the first half of the year but other than that I think a flexible structure is really important because there is no way of predicting who the best players will be before the season starts and the best players at the start of the year might not be the best players by the end of the year. It is important to leave spaces open so you can take advantage of break out candidates or injuries. Starting with 6 premo mids only leaves two spaces and at least one if not both of those spots are reserved for someone you have already targeted as a trade in target. I also think 2 premo rucks should be avoided if possible especially as Rowsus has done excellent work on this in the past showing that these two positions are some of the most predictable after 6 or 7 weeks of data and the right ones can be targeted. Lycett last year wasn't the best cash cow but he allowed people to see how good Grundy was. You couldn't win last year without Grundy yet those who started with Stef Martin or Goldstein found it hard to justify the trade and missed out.

AFL Club
Richmond
ATM I’ve gone a 4-5-2-3
Def- laird, Whitfield, blakely, Williams
Mid- titch, macrae, Cripps, Fyfe, Bcrouch ( taking a punt on him)
Rucks- grundy, goldy
Fwd- danger, heeney, tim kelly (POD)

AFL Club
Sydney
Macrae is a high risk high reward pick, I'll be trying to get him in asap.
How could paying 127 pts per game for a player be high reward? Are you expecting him to average 150?

Realistic best case you can hope for if you pay up for someone like Macrae is that he holds his average at 125-130, plays a full season, and you benefit from low ownership. I'm not saying he's a bad pick, but it's not really a high-reward selection if you're basically paying his ceiling for him.

AFL Club
Collingwood
How could paying 127 pts per game for a player be high reward? Are you expecting him to average 150?

Realistic best case you can hope for if you pay up for someone like Macrae is that he holds his average at 125-130, plays a full season, and you benefit from low ownership. I'm not saying he's a bad pick, but it's not really a high-reward selection if you're basically paying his ceiling for him.
Good point. I'm not sure what Pizza Safety meant, but I read it as Macrae, if he averages 125-130, then that is the high reward. Not many players are going to average over 125.

AFL Club
Essendon

If he stays at his average he will be very tough to get in, might be the best pick in the game and becomes the perfect captaincy option, that's high reward. With Titch out I will probably pick him.

RMT

DEF: Whitfield,Andrews,Blakely,Williams,Clark,Burgess (Joyce,Hore)
MID: Fyfe,Oliver,Neale,Yeo,JOM,Miles,Stocker,Valente (Constable,Hind,RCD)
RUC: Kruezer,Longer (Schlensog)
FWD: Danger,Heeney,Gray,Kelly,Setterfield,McHenry (McAdam,Cavarra)

ATM I’ve gone a 4-5-2-3
Def- laird, Whitfield, blakely, Williams
Mid- titch, macrae, Cripps, Fyfe, Bcrouch ( taking a punt on him)
Rucks- grundy, goldy
Fwd- danger, heeney, tim kelly (POD)
Can you actually afford that team?

You must have all of the cheapest rooks

AFL Club
Hawthorn
RMT

DEF: Whitfield,Andrews,Blakely,Williams,Clark,Burgess (Joyce,Hore)
MID: Fyfe,Oliver,Neale,Yeo,JOM,Miles,Stocker,Valente (Constable,Hind,RCD)
RUC: Kruezer,Longer (Schlensog)
FWD: Danger,Heeney,Gray,Kelly,Setterfield,McHenry (McAdam,Cavarra)
Williams cheap yes, good enough to warrant the spot? questionable. (not really cheap enough for a stepping stone, consider roberton if that is the plan.
Fyfe to early confirm fitness. Oliver had shoulder op. Yeo is extra risk, might be worse with no nic nat? JOM, now I was going to post my team with him included for a comment or two... I'm warming very quickly to the idea, but I'm not sure yet.
Missing in all liklihood the top 3 rucks. By mid season you may need your medicare card and a will have to trade the other out.
Now your forward line I like.

Williams cheap yes, good enough to warrant the spot? questionable. (not really cheap enough for a stepping stone, consider roberton if that is the plan.
Fyfe to early confirm fitness. Oliver had shoulder op. Yeo is extra risk, might be worse with no nic nat? JOM, now I was going to post my team with him included for a comment or two... I'm warming very quickly to the idea, but I'm not sure yet.
Missing in all liklihood the top 3 rucks. By mid season you may need your medicare card and a will have to trade the other out.
Now your forward line I like.
Thanks for the response, will likely start Grundy instead of Longer but can’t see myself starting Gawn due to his price and the questions surrounding Preuss.

Fyfe and Oliver will be monitored closer to the season. Yeo scored well without Nic Nat and looks ready to explode.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
My first thoughts (spent 10 minutes and got this together)

D: Laird, Blakely, ZWilliams, Hanley, Birchall, Logue (Burgess, Wigg)
M: Titch, Cripps, Fyfe, Dusty, Zerrett, Hanners, Walsh, Bennell (Stocker, Constable, Wagner)
R: Grundy, Longer (Bines)
F: Danger, Heeney, T.Lynch, Daniher, Setterfield, Corbett (McAdam, Kreuger)
Bank: $20k

Still to be convinced on Hanley's preseason and his soft tissue injury history but he is cheap. I like Birchall and Daniher. Greene currently unlikely but still monitoring his preseason. Think I'll only start one of Greene or Hanley.
Would love to start a Longer/Naismith/(or Preuss if Gawn gets injured.. don't shoot me Dees fans) at R2 (considering the full risk approach with two mid pricers at R1+R2 but I'm usually one to start a pricey premo like Grundy). Could ride them til R5 and get Mummy or just hold on to them full stop.
Second crack after some more thought and injury news.

D: Whitfield, Blakely, ZWilliams, TWilliamson, Logue, Quaynor (Burgess, Wigg)
M: Cripps, Oliver, Fyfe, Dusty, Zerrett, Walsh, Bennell, Stocker (Constable, Wagner, Bewley)
R: Grundy, Kreuzer (Bines)
F: Danger, Heeney, Gray, Wingard, Setterfield, Corbett (McAdam, Kreuger)
Bank: $35k

-I still really like Cripps/Fyfe/Dusty/Zerrett forming the crux of my midfield and am now strong on Danger/Heeney/Gray as my core forwards.
-Wingard v TLynch for F4. Wingard seeming a safer starting pick after the unfortunate news re Titch likely leading to more midfield time for Wingard.
-Kreuzer seems to be having a good preseason so far so is a good placeholder for R2 as we get more info re the rucks. Goldy or Longer the other main considerations.
-Will continue to monitor the preseasons of Oliver and Blakely. Enough money between them to switch around to a combination of options like Neale/JKelly+Blakely or Sloane/MCrouch+Laird.
-Will probably need to see Birchall, Hanners and JD play some JLT games before I can consider them further. Common issue I’m finding is that if I try fit one in, I tend to try fit them all in. EG: few XYs are Laird/Hanners/JD vs Blakely/Oliver/F5 Rookie
and
Blakely/Walsh/F5 Rookie + 15k vs Birchall/Hanners/JD
More info re rookie options would also help in determining whether starting some of these injury affected mid pricers is worthwhile.

Hopefully that does me for a while.

AFL Club
Collingwood

M: Cripps, Oliver, Fyfe, Dusty, Zerrett, Walsh, Bennell, Stocker (Constable, Wagner, Bewley)

-I still really like Cripps/Fyfe/Dusty/Zerrett forming the crux of my midfield and am now strong on Danger/Heeney/Gray as my core forwards.
-Wingard v TLynch for F4. Wingard seeming a safer starting pick after the unfortunate news re Titch likely leading to more midfield time for Wingard.
-Kreuzer seems to be having a good preseason so far so is a good placeholder for R2 as we get more info re the rucks. Goldy or Longer the other main considerations.
-Will continue to monitor the preseasons of Oliver and Blakely. Enough money between them to switch around to a combination of options like Neale/JKelly+Blakely or Sloane/MCrouch+Laird.
-Will probably need to see Birchall, Hanners and JD play some JLT games before I can consider them further. Common issue I’m finding is that if I try fit one in, I tend to try fit them all in. EG: few XYs are Laird/Hanners/JD vs Blakely/Oliver/F5 Rookie
and
More info re rookie options would also help in determining whether starting some of these injury affected mid pricers is worthwhile.

Yeah, at this time of year it is a bit early finalising a team, but picking your core players is good.
And rookies at the moment is a guessing game, until Rd1 teams are revealed, but again, selecting a core group of Rookies ready to slot into the team is important.
I noticed you selected Tom Williamson, who is priced at $189,500. He played 15 senior games in 2017 and averaged only 49.9 SC points, hmmm, I wonder if he will make enough money, or quick enough, to be worthy of selection?

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, at this time of year it is a bit early finalising a team, but picking your core players is good.
And rookies at the moment is a guessing game, until Rd1 teams are revealed, but again, selecting a core group of Rookies ready to slot into the team is important.
I noticed you selected Tom Williamson, who is priced at $189,500. He played 15 senior games in 2017 and averaged only 49.9 SC points, hmmm, I wonder if he will make enough money, or quick enough, to be worthy of selection?
I expect B18 would be looking at the gap left in the blues backline by Doch out and be hoping Williamson can take some of the points on offer.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I expect B18 would be looking at the gap left in the blues backline by Doch out and be hoping Williamson can take some of the points on offer.
Yeah pretty much what PC said. I read sth saying he might get that Doch role but obviously a watch in preseason. More a placeholder than anything

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for the response, will likely start Grundy instead of Longer but can’t see myself starting Gawn due to his price and the questions surrounding Preuss.

Fyfe and Oliver will be monitored closer to the season. Yeo scored well without Nic Nat and looks ready to explode.
Hmmm... so what do you think Yeo will avg this season. Now fanfooty is back up I see some good scoring from round 18 onwards....interesting, even round 8 when nic nat was out as well was 113. You've got me interested. Thoughts?

AFL Club
Hawthorn

and

A fair few similarities to my team. I've switched Gray to Sloane; and a couple of your XYs, plus ripping every bit of extra cash out of your rookies (williamson, quaynor etc) to upgrade Williams to Lloyd. Needless to say I liked the look of it.

Hmmm... so what do you think Yeo will avg this season. Now fanfooty is back up I see some good scoring from round 18 onwards....interesting, even round 8 when nic nat was out as well was 113. You've got me interested. Thoughts?
I think Yeo could average around 113, getting more consistent as the years go on and has showed he can be explosive and score quickly.

Hopefully he is a nice POD as well.

AFL Club
Carlton
Of course there has been a lot of discussion around pure GnR strategy versus picking up fallen premiums, mid prices etc. Like me ,you've probably changed from one to another on many iterations of your SuperCoach team and it's doing your head in.. Given there are pros and cons for each theory doesn't that mean we should be on the search for a new 'fail proof' strategy.

This year I'm going to follow the Good Weapons of Mass Destruction strategy (as opposed to those 'Evil' ones) and will even name my team accordingly to help spread the word of this great new SC theory.

My GWMD team includes:

Grundy, Goldstein/Gawn
Whitfield, Witherden, Williams, Webster?
Macrae, Martin, Merrett, Miles
Dangerfield, Dunkley, Darling?, De Goey?

I'll leave it to someone else (Rowsus?) to prove statistically a correlation (this is almost a certainty) between performing supercoach player surnames and their position on the ground. But I think the anecdotal evidence above speaks for itself...

I think I'm really on to something here and look forward to starting my Good Weapons of Mass Destruction team in 2019. Although there is a very outside chance like all Weapons of Mass Destruction once March comes around UN inspectors will probably find GWMD aren't there and never existed in the first place....

PS Can someone have a word to Champion Data about Wingard, Westhoff and Walters being given def status this year so I've got a couple more options this year down back? Thanks

Last edited:
AFL Club
Geelong
First serious team has me sitting on..

B: Lloyd, Whitfield, Blakely
M: Cripps, Fyfe, Kelly, Neale, Merret
R: Gawn, Kreuzer
F: Danger, Heeney, Gray, Kelly

2 mil left for rookies and will be avoiding any 200k types besides maybe Collins down back.

Steele, O'meara, Andrews, Ryan, Lynch all in that possible ''blow up'' category but too hard to pick a winner + awkward pricing.

Dahl, J.Berry, B.Smith, Taranto, Parfitt, probably all have good years but just won't make top 8-10 in their respective positions.

AFL Club
Richmond

and

Rate this.
Probably because we have 12 of the same starting keepers atm haha
Only differences being MCrouch over Oliver, who I don't mind as a starter and Goldy over Kreuzer, who I'm not touching with a 10 foot pole as he basically kicked my ranking in the **** from the start of the season last year.

I have also have the Cripps/Fyfe/Dusty/Zerrett quartet in every one of my teams. Just looks so right to me.