Opinion Rate My Team

BigRuss

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My latest side after a number of changes:

Whitfield, Witherden, Williams, Hanley, Collins, Burgess D-F (Hore, Wigg)

Cripps, Fyfe, Dusty, Merrett, Hanners, Walsh, Bennell, Setterfield M-F (Bewley, Stocker, Valente)

Grundy, Westhoff R-F (Fort)

Danger M-F, Heeney M-F, Gray M-F, Wingard M-F, Moore D-F, Cavarra (Parker, Schlensog R-F)

$36.7k left.

Thoughts welcome!
Hard to poke holes in mate, very similar to my side. Few different mid pricers but at essentially the same price points.

What’s your reasoning for Hanley over Roberton? Likely deliver about the same output with a massively increased injury risk coming with Hanley.

Mid structure will be a very popular one I think, good mix of firepower and value.

I like the Westhoff pick, I reckon most sides will look to get him in at some point throughout the year as cover, I know I will. Dixon likely misses the first 4-6 weeks this year and I think Hoff will be asked to play forward in that time, what that does to his scoring I’m not sure but I think I prefer the wait and see option.

Very popular forward structure too, Moore either plays himself into most teams or rules himself out of everyone’s I would imagine.

Happily sit on that side until JLT.

pizza safety

AFL Club
Essendon
Sicily - Whitfield - Witherden - Williams - Quaynor - Hore ( Burgess - Tobe Watson (loophole) )

Cripps - Fyfe - Kelly - Neale - Dusty - Walsh - Bewley - Hind (Constable, Atley, Gibbons)

Grundy - Goldstein (Fort)

Danger - Heeney - Wingard - Setterfield - McAdam - Cavarra (Corbett, Parker)

15k left

The alternative side if Gresham or another cheap mid priced forward is great in JLT will mean I put B Smith or Roberton in for Sicily or Whitfield and I downgrade Cripps to Bont or Yeo but I get Gresham instead of a forward rookie.

Last edited:

Tails

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think they're different players though, Billings is an outside player who really plays well when his team is dominating and Gresham can play some time on ball. I've said here before I've never once seen Billings attend a centre bounce.
Good points but I'm still struggling to go near any STK players .. not sure on any of their roles ...

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sicily - Whitfield - Witherden - Williams - Quaynor - Hore ( Burgess - Tobe Watson (loophole) )

Cripps - Fyfe - Kelly - Neale - Dusty - Walsh - Bewley - Hind (Constable, Atley, Gibbons)

15k left

The alternative side if Gresham or another cheap mid priced forward is great in JLT will mean I put B Smith or Roberton in for Sicily or Whitfield and I downgrade Cripps to Bont or Yeo but I get Gresham instead of a forward rookie.
Like it a lot mate, only two things I would make mention of is to watch Wingard's calf. Hawks being super cautious with him, I'm trying to understand if it is more or less serious than has been let on by the club and what the media knows at the moment. Hawks have a practice match Wednesday which will help us get an understanding of this I think, and if he plays AFLX the following week then I'm sure he will be 100%. The only other thing I would look at is turning Goldy into Gawn, maybe you could go Walsh to a cheaper MID if someone pops up in JLT and find the extra $30K roughly needed somewhere else also.

Overall though I like it a lot.

Bontempele

350 Games Club
AFL Club
North Melb.

15k left

I think it would be wise to bring in another forward premium or mid-pricer for a rookie, although I'm not sure Gresham is necessarily the man, as a forward in a low team.

pizza safety

AFL Club
Essendon
I think it would be wise to bring in another forward premium or mid-pricer for a rookie, although I'm not sure Gresham is necessarily the man, as a forward in a low team.
Cheers mate, at the moment it looks like we will have a lot of forward cash cows and that’s why I’ve got 3 on the field. I thought the prospectus would show me a few more mature age defenders but it mostly showed me more potential forward cash cows. There’s Setterfield, McAdam, Cavarra, Corbett, Parker, Young, Schultz, McHenry, Stengle, Dylan Moore and Wilkinson. I know they’re not the best to have on field but Cavarra should score reasonably well because he finds the ball and tackles well and Setterfield should get mid time. This way you also get an extra defender that allows you to exploit the new rules.

Darkie

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Collingwood

Cripps, Fyfe, Dusty, Merrett, Hanners, Walsh, Bennell, Setterfield M-F (Bewley, Stocker, Valente)

Danger M-F, Heeney M-F, Gray M-F, Wingard M-F, Moore D-F, Cavarra (Parker, Schlensog R-F)

$36.7k left.

Thoughts welcome!
Thanks for all the feedback on my side.

@Herbie66 Thanks mate, running Westhoff rather than Mummy at R2 opens things up a fair bit and adds flexibility (both in what to do in the rucks, and in trading and looping). Hopefully it's a reasonable balance of enough keepers that it's no time too midpriced, and enough value options that there's a fair bit of potential upside if some of these guys fire. I won't be wedded to those priced below Williams in particular, so I see them as lower risk than if I was expecting them to be keepers ... it's largely one trade ventured.

Thanks @stephen ... I was surprised on the upside at the level that Westhoff and Moore provide (I'm pretty sure it's worth waiting and seeing on Mummy now). I think I need to pick another R-F for your looping idea to work (Schlensog plays for the same side as Fort) so it's a good thing you flagged it. I think this mainly works before Mummy comes in, but four weeks of rookie looping could be worth maybe 60 points, especially if Fort or his ilk start well, as @Bomber18 refers to. Would boost Westhoff's PIT average by about 3 points.

Good point @The Experiment, I actually hadn't given this a lot of thought. When I moved Westhoff up and Mummy out, I had enough cash for a player around $520k, and Wingard probably looked the best of those I didn't have, so it was more a bottom up call without maybe reassessing the top down structural impact. I'll need to give this some more thought.

Thanks @BigRuss, hopefully we are both on the right track then. I posted in another thread re Hanley vs Smith, and I think the similarity in prices between these mid priced options adds a bit of flex. Roberton I had in for quite a while, but Hanley has a better scoring record and I'm not sure whether Roberton or Webster gets the favourable role at the Saints? They seemed to be competing for it. Ideally Westhoff wouldn't be limited to playing forward early on, although his looping ability could be at a premium over that period, so there could be an offset. Something to be mindful of, but there may not be a strong advantage to either starting him or waiting, assuming he has a reasonable season overall. Interesting you mention Moore, I haven't seen him in many sides but I think he could be handy as a stepping stone to help get a forward rookie off field, and for a connection to Burgess or similar down back. If he performs well in the JLT I think he could become a more popular pick.

Thanks again for your thoughts gents, feeling more comfortable with this side based on what we know at this stage.

Last edited:

pizza safety

AFL Club
Essendon
Like it a lot mate, only two things I would make mention of is to watch Wingard's calf. Hawks being super cautious with him, I'm trying to understand if it is more or less serious than has been let on by the club and what the media knows at the moment. Hawks have a practice match Wednesday which will help us get an understanding of this I think, and if he plays AFLX the following week then I'm sure he will be 100%. The only other thing I would look at is turning Goldy into Gawn, maybe you could go Walsh to a cheaper MID if someone pops up in JLT and find the extra $30K roughly needed somewhere else also.

Overall though I like it a lot.
Cheers Mate thanks for the feedback.

I’m aware of Wingard’s calf and I’m trying to monitor it, if it starts to look a bit sketchy I’ll try to replace him with Gray/Menegola/Kelly/Gresham. With Walsh I’m really keen to start him, I expect him to average really well (in the low 80’s) and allow me to quickly upgrade to a midfielder who is dominating. JLT could definitely change my approach here and it’s diffcult to predict what happens but he is an absolute accumulator who looks set to get mid time. With Gawn I consider him a bit of an injury risk at his price, I’m scared of Preuss and why they got Preuss and I also wonder if he can back up last year because he had his best year at age 27, could hurt me and I do expect him to be the no. 2 ruck but not by a big enough margin to justify his price.

mpollock

Rising Star Winner
Yeah both watches .. have actually changed it up a little as Blakley is injured. Went him up to Sicily and took Birchall down to a rookie.

Darkie

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks for all the feedback on my side.

@Herbie66 Thanks mate, running Westhoff rather than Mummy at R2 opens things up a fair bit and adds flexibility (both in what to do in the rucks, and in trading and looping). Hopefully it's a reasonable balance of enough keepers that it's no time too midpriced, and enough value options that there's a fair bit of potential upside if some of these guys fire. I won't be wedded to those priced below Williams in particular, so I see them as lower risk than if I was expecting them to be keepers ... it's largely one trade ventured.

Thanks @stephen ... I was surprised on the upside at the level that Westhoff and Moore provide (I'm pretty sure it's worth waiting and seeing on Mummy now). I think I need to pick another R-F for your looping idea to work (Schlensog plays for the same side as Fort) so it's a good thing you flagged it. I think this mainly works before Mummy comes in, but four weeks of rookie looping could be worth maybe 60 points, especially if Fort or his ilk start well, as @Bomber18 refers to. Would boost Westhoff's PIT average by about 3 points.

Good point @The Experiment, I actually hadn't given this a lot of thought. When I moved Westhoff up and Mummy out, I had enough cash for a player around $520k, and Wingard probably looked the best of those I didn't have, so it was more a bottom up call without maybe reassessing the top down structural impact. I'll need to give this some more thought.

Thanks @BigRuss, hopefully we are both on the right track then. I posted in another thread re Hanley vs Smith, and I think the similarity in prices between these mid priced options adds a bit of flex. Roberton I had in for quite a while, but Hanley has a better scoring record and I'm not sure whether Roberton or Webster gets the favourable role at the Saints? They seemed to be competing for it. Ideally Westhoff wouldn't be limited to playing forward early on, although his looping ability could be at a premium over that period, so there could be an offset. Something to be mindful of, but there may not be a strong advantage to either starting him or waiting, assuming he has a reasonable season overall. Interesting you mention Moore, I haven't seen him in many sides but I think he could be handy as a stepping stone to help get a forward rookie off field, and for a connection to Burgess or similar down back. If he performs well in the JLT I think he could become a more popular pick.

Thanks again for your thoughts gents, feeling more comfortable with this side based on what we know at this stage.
Edit: an update post Hanners' setback.

Earlier I changed Schlensog to Xerri, to allow the looping Stephen mentioned, but this left me with only very limited cash.

I've now removed Hanners and downgraded him to a rookie in Hind. This gives me a lot more cash. I actually couldn't afford to go across to Miles without a rookie swap, and I'd like to start with a bit of cash in the bank for flexibility, rather than being stretched from round one.

I have now upgraded Wingard to Neale via Setterfield. I think Neale is more likely to be a good keeper than Wingard (Bomber's PIT analysis really emphasises Neale to me), and it addresses The Experiment's comments about locking too many forward spots early on, and balances out my structure. The downside is that I lose my M-F loop for now, but if another forward rookie shows up this is easy to solve.

This leaves my mid and forward lines as follows, which I think is an improvement:

Cripps, Fyfe, Neale, Dusty, Merrett, Walsh, Bennell, Hind (Stocker, Bewley, Valente)

Danger M-F, Heeney M-F, Gray M-F, Moore D-F, Setterfield M-F, Cavarra (Parker, Xerri R-F)

$97.8k cash

Last edited:

Yikes

AFL Club
GWS Giants

$36.7k left.

Thoughts welcome!
defence: considering Hanley, but at this stage don't think he's worth the risk. still really unsold on Witherden being even just a top 10 defender, would love for someone to convince me on that pick.

midfield: apart from fyfe all of those players have appeared in my team at some stage. at the moment i have 2 from your 5 non-rookie players

ruck: what do you need westhoff to average to make it a worthwhile pick? i say 95, and i dont think he can do it.

forward: don't like any of gray, wingard or moore but can see why people would be interested in the early 2.

overall: i think most of these selections have their merits and are under strong consideration by me but i wouldn't be comfortable with the amount of injury risk you're taking - williams, hanley, fyfe, hanners, bennell, setterfield, moore, gray, wingard, westhoff, all have injury histories, niggles in preseason or are over 30.

t.thomas6

300 Games Club
AFL Club
North Melb.
Looks great. Seeing the r/f link like that, and how it can also be used to loop ruck and fwd rookie scores (assuming a ruck rookie plays), as well as its other uses, is making me reconsider Westhoff even though I'm not as bullish on him as you. Could have a host of uses throughout the year worth heaps of points.
Yeah good call actually, essentially Fort R2 but Hoff in the forward line to allow a bail out. If Fort looks shaky in JLT but is named in Round 1, could be a smart option.

I'm not as bullish on Hoff either but that loophole between Fort and a forward might increase his worth as well - avoid <50s from Fort and possibly gain his >80 scores.
I like it mate, really like the use of Westhoff at R2...
Lobb might also work in this situation - might be worth watching over JLT as a cheaper option.

AFL Club
Collingwood
food for thought 🤔

Simpson , Whitfield , Andrews , Witherden , Williams , Rozee * (Collins * , Burgess * )

Cripps , Fyfe , Taranto , Walsh , Bennell , Setterfield * , Stocker , Constable , (Bewley , Hind , Gibbons)

Grundy , Westhoff * (Fort)

Dangerfield * , Heeney * , Gray * , Mundy * , Moore * , Cavarra (Parker , Bines *)

$ 100.00 itb

Essentially added Simpson & Mundy + 2 mid rookies for Martin , Merrett , McKay & Corbett

Thoughts ?

Last edited:

bomberboy

Deputy Vice Captain
AFL Club
Essendon
food for thought 🤔

Simpson , Whitfield , Andrews , Witherden , Williams , Rozee * (Collins * , Burgess)

Cripps , Fyfe , Taranto , Walsh , Bennell , Setterfield * , Stocker , Constable , (Bewley , Hind , Gibbons)

Grundy , Westhoff * (Fort)

Dangerfield * , Heeney * , Gray * , Mundy * , Moore * , Cavarra (Parker , Bines *)

$ 100.00 itb

Essentially added Simpson & Mundy + 2 mid rookies for Martin , Merrett , McKay & Corbett

Thoughts ?
I think you'll find that this is a side that'll middle around 30k to be frank.

Taking the time to get that midfield up to scratch will see you lagging, especially if Taranto doesn't fire like some expect him to.

Good thought project though - I wonder if in a weaker rookie year this would be more popular?

AFL Club
Collingwood
I think you'll find that this is a side that'll middle around 30k to be frank.

Taking the time to get that midfield up to scratch will see you lagging, especially if Taranto doesn't fire like some expect him to.

Good thought project though - I wonder if in a weaker rookie year this would be more popular?
Cheers mate , all conjecture at this stage.

Don't see a whole heap of Defender & Forward rookies jumping out.

Seems to be a surplus of them in the mids.