Discussion Re-Signings, Retirements, Delistings, Trade & Drafting

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ralphy just reported that Mitch Robinson won’t be playing on next year.

Edit: I gather this may be specific to playing at Brisbane. Will be interesting to see if he plays elsewhere.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Carlton
SHAUN Higgins has announced his retirement following a successful 260-game career with the Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne and Geelong

The 34-year-old played 23 games in the hoops since arriving at the club at the end of 2020, after playing 129 games at Whitten Oval and 108 at Arden Street.

Higgins addressed his teammates on Tuesday morning to announce his decision.

"I feel privileged to have been able to play at this level for 17 seasons at three great clubs. I feel enormously lucky to have lived out a childhood dream of playing footy and I'm thankful for all the friendships, memories and support through the years," Higgins said.

Shaun Higgins in action during the round seven clash between Geelong and Fremantle at GMHBA Stadium on April 30, 2022. Picture: Getty Images/AFL Photos
"I am grateful for the opportunity to have represented Geelong, it’s a special club and while having only been here for two seasons, the place and people have had a lasting impact on me.

"While I have experienced some challenges with injury this season, I'm comfortable knowing I've done everything I can to make a return to the senior team, and while it hasn't worked out, I'm focused on playing my part in helping the team best prepare for Saturday's Grand Final and seeing my teammates run out onto the MCG."

WHO'S CALLED IT QUITS 2022's retirements and delistings

Drafted in 2005, Higgins won back-to-back Syd Barker Medals in 2017 and 2018 at North Melbourne and was selected in the 2018 All-Australian team. Across his 17 seasons, the Geelong product became renowned for silky skills, his craftiness around goal and his read of the game.

00:50MINS
This Higgins kick is just pure gold
Cats recruit Shaun Higgins shows his absolute class with a beautiful delivery to Gary Rohan, who finishes off his work
Published on May 7, 2021, 9:54pm
"Shaun has been an incredible AFL player, and when he looks back over a career that spanned 17 years, he should be really proud of everything he has achieved," Geelong general manager of football Simon Lloyd said.

"Shaun has been an influential leader since arriving at the Club. He has spent considerable time passing on his significant learnings to our younger players and setting them up for success.

"Shaun has always demonstrated great care for Geelong, carried himself with class and leaves us in a better position for his presence.

"We wish Shaun, Heidi, Rosie, Emme and Harry all the very best for this new chapter."

AFL Club
St Kilda
SHAUN Higgins has announced his retirement following a successful 260-game career with the Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne and Geelong

The 34-year-old played 23 games in the hoops since arriving at the club at the end of 2020, after playing 129 games at Whitten Oval and 108 at Arden Street.

Higgins addressed his teammates on Tuesday morning to announce his decision.

"I feel privileged to have been able to play at this level for 17 seasons at three great clubs. I feel enormously lucky to have lived out a childhood dream of playing footy and I'm thankful for all the friendships, memories and support through the years," Higgins said.

Shaun Higgins in action during the round seven clash between Geelong and Fremantle at GMHBA Stadium on April 30, 2022. Picture: Getty Images/AFL Photos
"I am grateful for the opportunity to have represented Geelong, it’s a special club and while having only been here for two seasons, the place and people have had a lasting impact on me.

"While I have experienced some challenges with injury this season, I'm comfortable knowing I've done everything I can to make a return to the senior team, and while it hasn't worked out, I'm focused on playing my part in helping the team best prepare for Saturday's Grand Final and seeing my teammates run out onto the MCG."

WHO'S CALLED IT QUITS 2022's retirements and delistings

Drafted in 2005, Higgins won back-to-back Syd Barker Medals in 2017 and 2018 at North Melbourne and was selected in the 2018 All-Australian team. Across his 17 seasons, the Geelong product became renowned for silky skills, his craftiness around goal and his read of the game.

00:50MINS
This Higgins kick is just pure gold
Cats recruit Shaun Higgins shows his absolute class with a beautiful delivery to Gary Rohan, who finishes off his work
Published on May 7, 2021, 9:54pm
"Shaun has been an incredible AFL player, and when he looks back over a career that spanned 17 years, he should be really proud of everything he has achieved," Geelong general manager of football Simon Lloyd said.

"Shaun has been an influential leader since arriving at the Club. He has spent considerable time passing on his significant learnings to our younger players and setting them up for success.

"Shaun has always demonstrated great care for Geelong, carried himself with class and leaves us in a better position for his presence.

"We wish Shaun, Heidi, Rosie, Emme and Harry all the very best for this new chapter."
Thanks for the memories Higgo :)

AFL Club
Carlton
BRISBANE forward Dan McStay will join Collingwood after officially informing the Lions of his intention to head to the Magpies.
McStay has been headed out of the Gabba for much of the second half of the season after exploring his free agency rights, with the 26-year-old departing as an unrestricted free agent.
The Lions will get a free agency compensation pick for McStay, who is set to sign a five-year deal at the Magpies.
TRADE HUB All the latest player movement news
"Dan has been a great teammate in his time with the Lions and remained committed to our cause until the end," Brisbane football boss Danny Daly said.
"He stuck with the club during many lean seasons and played a vital role in helping the Brisbane Lions play finals football the past four seasons.
"We thank Dan for his service after the last nine years and wish him all the best for his next chapter."

Daniel McStay kicks the ball during Brisbane's elimination final against Richmond on September 1, 2022. Picture: Getty Images
McStay played 161 games for the Lions after being selected in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft and will join the Magpies as a versatile tall at both ends of the ground.
"Together, my partner and I, have decided to move back home to Melbourne. I wish the club every success and will be watching with a keen eye," he said.
Giant Bobby Hill and Adelaide's Billy Frampton have also lodged official trade requests to Collingwood this upcoming exchange period, with Gold Coast's Brayden Fiorini also in the mix to join the preliminary finalists.