Discussion Re-Signings, Retirements, Delistings, Trade & Drafting

AFL Club
Richmond
GC midfield now becomes the first big talking point of the summer - more CBAs for some, is it good for Touk, is Rowell a lock....it gets my SC planning neurons firing for the first time in the pre-season!

My early gut feel is it makes Touk even more important in there and he firms for my starting team.
Averaged 134.8 without Greenwood in the side...
(Including the game Greenwood was subbed on 0)

To be fair he was already on a massive run anyways, only went under 110 twice after round 6.

AFL Club
West Coast
Gold Coast has explained the loss of Hugh Greenwood
By Michael Whiting

GOLD Coast CEO Mark Evans says losing Hugh Greenwood was "unexpected", but the club knew the risk it was taking in delisting him last week.

The Suns cut the inside midfielder in the hope of bringing him back via the NAB AFL Draft, but North Melbourne swooped to sign him to a longer contract.

Speaking on Tuesday afternoon, Evans said losing Greenwood was certainly not the club's preference, but was something it could overcome

We knew the rules going into this and we knew there was some risk. We accept that," he said.

"I think (the lesson is) don't underestimate any risk.

"We started this conversation with Hugh and the club equally committing to a pathway of him being retained at the Suns.

What was unexpected is the size of the offer that came from North Melbourne. That certainly turned Hugh's head towards that.

"Our preference would be that Hugh Greenwood played with us in 2022. It's a slight deviation from that."

Slight??? :LOL::LOL::LOL::rolleyes:

AFL Club
Carlton
GOLD Coast's Therabody AFL All-Australian midfielder Touk Miller has turned his back on free agency, inking a five-year contract extension in a huge coup for the Suns.

Mille was due to become a restricted free agent at the end of next season but has allayed any fears of a move by signing on until the end of 2027.

The 25-year-old is fresh off the best season of his career, where he won his first Club Champion award and also set an AFL record for completing 16 consecutive games of 30-plus disposals.

03:45MINS
Etch me into the walls: Miller explains FA snub, Suns' big picture
Gun Sun Touk Miller talks exclusively to Michael Whiting about his new contract
Just now
Miller told AFL.com.au he didn't want to be anywhere else.

"I just focused on Gold Coast," he said.

"I talked to my manager fairly early in the year and said I wanted to stay here, I had no intentions of being anywhere else.

"I don't want to be sitting in a free agency period and that year where 'it's his last year, is he going to do this? Where's he going to go? Will he stay?'

INDICATIVE DRAFT ORDER Your club's picks as they stand

"I've probably experienced that enough at the club and had no reason to put that on the club at all.

"I felt there was no need to carry-on like that.

"I absolutely love this club. I'd love to be etched into the walls and be part of what this club is going to be."

03:47MINS
Touk explains 'weird', made-up name, his Maribyrnong to AFL journey
Gold Coast star Touk Miller opens up in our Walking the Path series
Published on Jun 11, 2021, 3:09pm
The signature is a relief for a Gold Coast outfit facing a huge 2022, with coach Stuart Dew and young stars Ben King, Jack Lukosius and Izak Rankine all out of contract.

Miller said the aim was to play finals, or a "much-improved" season at a minimum.

"I've been here now seven years I feel like I've watched the club transform," he said.

"I've watched the club go from rock bottom to where we're going to be and I'm going to be a part of that and the reason I love the club so much is I've been in every step, and when we do see success, I'm going to be part of that.

SEASON REVIEWS How did your club fare?

"I've done the hard stuff, I'm going to do the good stuff, and all the hard work in between.

"I feel in the last year or two we've really started to see those gains."

Miller is currently a vice-captain alongside Sam Collins and said although he'd "100 per cent" love to captain the club one day, working cohesively with Collins and co-captains Jarrod Witts and David Swallow was far more important at the moment.

AFL Club
West Coast
With the AFL draft next week, Rookie Me Central have put together the most comprehensive rookie pdf guide I have ever come across - amazing amount of work has gone into it. Thought I would post it here for easy reference if wanting to check up on some potential rookies for next season, feel free to move it to a more applicable thread :-

https://f.hubspotusercontent40.net/...xQo&utm_content=183771737&utm_source=hs_email

AFL Club
Carlton
Mummy never goes away. 😁

JUST weeks after announcing his retirement (for the second time), Greater Western Sydney ruckman Shane Mumford has nominated for next week's NAB AFL Draft.

So is another comeback looming?

Well, not in the short term but the Giants are covering all bases by having Mumford nominate for the draft so that if they have any injuries to their ruck stocks next year the former Cat and Swan would be eligible to join them at the mid-season rookie draft.

INDICATIVE DRAFT ORDER Your club's picks as they stand

Under AFL rules if a player has not nominated for the previous year's draft, they cannot then be selected by their original club again at the following mid-season intake.

Mumford has moved into an off-field role at the Giants for at least the next two years that will see him work across a number of divisions, including mentoring the club's promising ruck division.

And the Giants are taking insurance by having the 35-year-old, 216-gamer nominate for the draft in case any of their rucks go down with injury in the first half of the season. It is not a guarantee that if injuries occurred the Giants would select Mumford anyway, but the nomination does guarantee he would be eligible.

Shane Mumford competes in the ruck with Rhys Stanley in a final between GWS and Geelong on September 3, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos
The Giants have three ruckmen on their list for 2022 – Braydon Preuss, Matthew Flynn and Kieren Briggs.

The nomination process differs for Mumford, who is currently overseas, if he was to rejoin the Giants against the case of Paddy McCartin, who doesn't need to nominate for the NAB AFL Draft to be eligible to join Sydney via the pre-season supplemental selection period.

Draft nominations closed on Wednesday, with more than 800 hopefuls registering their interest in being selected. Patrick Naish (Richmond), Trent Dumont (North Melbourne), Martin Gleeson (Essendon) and Jay Rantall (Collingwood) were among the recently delisted AFL players to put their names forward by nominating.

WATCH THE DRAFT LIVE
Join the AFL.com.au team for the most comprehensive NAB AFL Draft coverage
HOW TO WATCH

AFL Club
Carlton
MELBOURNE fan favourite Aaron vandenBerg has brought an end to his time in the AFL, urging players not to fear retirement and a life outside of the game.

Having left the Demons in September to explore opportunities elsewhere, vandenBerg garnered interest from multiple interstate clubs but recently informed them he would not be continuing his career into 2022.

vandenBerg will instead move into the corporate world and is on the verge of joining an accounting and professional services firm, while he will play in the VAFA for Old Xaverians and continue his part-time studies at Melbourne University.

Speaking to AFL.com.au on Friday, vandenBerg said he appreciated every aspect of his seven-year stint at Melbourne but said it was important for players to acknowledge there is a life beyond footy.

"There was certainly some interest from AFL clubs," vandenBerg said.

Aaron vandenBerg during a Melbourne training session at HBF Arena in Perth on September 20, 2021. Picture: Michael Willson
"It's hard to understand if clubs are trying to let you down easily or if they're being brutally honest with you, but salary cap and list spots often came up as reasons for me not being able to go to certain football clubs.

"There definitely was a level of interest between a few clubs, particularly a few interstate clubs. But, for me and where I'm at … to move my life interstate at this stage, it just didn't seem like a viable option for me.

"Things are moving so well for me outside of football. Don't get me wrong, I love the AFL and everything it's provided for me, but there is something post-football. The more I stewed on that and thought about it, the more I realised I was ready to make an exit from the game.

FINAL DRAFT ORDER Check out your club's picks

"I spoke to my manager and said, 'let's stop fielding calls from AFL clubs'. I didn't want to waste anyone's time and take interviews or give them hope that I might come to them and then make the decision that I wanted to retire.

"I talk to a lot of players and they stay in the game because they're really scared to make the exit out. Even though I had the ability to keep playing, it felt like the right move and I'm excited about it."

Aaron vandenBerg in action during the Demons' preliminary final against West Coast in 2018. Picture: AFL Photos
vandenBerg was drafted to Melbourne in 2014, playing 52 games for the club across seven seasons. But he managed just four in the side's premiership campaign this year, having been left frustrated by a number of injury setbacks.

"It was very much a bittersweet season for me personally, and there's no doubt it was for a few other senior players, having seen the success that the team achieved but technically not being part of that feeling on the day," vandenBerg said.

"For the pressure that mounted in 2019 and 2020, to see the team overcome that and achieve the ultimate success in one of the most trying seasons that I've been a part of, it was fantastic to watch."

Aaron vandenBerg during a pre-season session at Gosch's Paddock in 2015. Picture: AFL Photos
vandenBerg's career was plagued by injury, including a 680-day spell on the sidelines between 2016 and 2018 when a stress fracture in his heel turned into Haglund's Disease and left him with a series of foot, ankle and Achilles setbacks.

But the rehab process helped him strike up an important friendship with former teammate Pat McKenna, who was battling hamstring issues of his own, and inspired a remarkable return in late 2018.

vandenBerg played the final seven games of the season and took on a crucial role in the team's journey to the preliminary final, becoming an instant hit among Demons fans for his unrelenting attack on the contest.

"I came back from a really difficult stint in rehab and I did that with a very small team of people in Pat McKenna, (high-performance boss) Daniel Cross, (physio) Joel Ames and a few others," vandenBerg said.

WATCH THE DRAFT LIVE
Join the AFL.com.au team for the most comprehensive NAB AFL Draft coverage
HOW TO WATCH
"To get through that really difficult period of 2016 and 2017, then to get to play some footy and taste the experience of finals footy that Melbourne hadn't had for a while, it was probably my fondest memory.

"That's the thing about football. As dark as rehab got and as lonely as it got, thankfully when I was at my worst and my father passed away in 2018, I had Pat. He was instrumental in both my mental health and my football health. Him and I, we created a pretty special bond together and we finally got back and trained together and played together. I had a great journey with Pat."

Now, vandenBerg is eager to begin the next phase of his career, which also includes the continued running of his late father's family business Bega Fasteners and Industrial Supplies in New South Wales.

SEASON REVIEWS How did your club fare?

"It was time for me to move on and start the next phase of my life," vandenBerg said.

"It was an extremely difficult decision for me, particularly given how much I'd sacrificed to get healthy again and finally be able to play at the elite level, but it's a decision that I'm happy and proud to have made.

"I'm really excited about what the next few years look like for me outside of the AFL."

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
AFL Club
West Coast
Callum Twomey just released his 2021 Phantom Draft – Late mail edition

PICK 1 – North Melbourne – Jason Horne-Francis

PICK 2 – Western Bulldogs (matching Greater Western Sydney's bid) – Sam Darcy

PICK 3 – Greater Western Sydney – Finn Callaghan

PICK 4 – Collingwood (matching Gold Coast's bid) – Nick Daicos

PICK 5 – Gold Coast – Mac Andrew

PICK 6 – Adelaide – Josh Rachele

PICK 7 – Hawthorn – Josh Ward

PICK 8 – Fremantle – Jye Amiss

PICK 9 – Richmond – Josh Gibcus

PICK 10 – Fremantle – Neil Erasmus

PICK 11 – St Kilda – Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera

PICK 12 – West Coast – Ben Hobbs

PICK 13 – Essendon – Matthew Johnson

PICK 14 – Port Adelaide – Josh Sinn

PICK 15 – Greater Western Sydney – Sam Butler

PICK 16 – Brisbane – Darcy Wilmot

PICK 17 – Richmond – Tyler Sonsie

PICK 18 – Sydney – Tom Brown

PICK 19 – Melbourne – Blake Howes

PICK 20 – Brisbane – Jacob van Rooyen

AFL Club
West Coast
If Johnson is there at 12, I am certain WCE will pick him.
Yeah I feel if he's still there that we will also take him. He's the one I really want. Interesting to hear we are trying to trade up from 29 as well. another late teens or early 20's pick would be great.

Brad Sheppard is a real chance of retiring- still experiencing concussion symptoms πŸ˜”
That would be a huge blow. He's been so underrated through his career. Hopefully he can get over these symptoms and not have it end like Venables.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Callum Twomey just released his 2021 Phantom Draft – Late mail edition

PICK 1 – North Melbourne – Jason Horne-Francis

PICK 2 – Western Bulldogs (matching Greater Western Sydney's bid) – Sam Darcy

PICK 3 – Greater Western Sydney – Finn Callaghan

PICK 4 – Collingwood (matching Gold Coast's bid) – Nick Daicos

PICK 5 – Gold Coast – Mac Andrew

PICK 6 – Adelaide – Josh Rachele

PICK 7 – Hawthorn – Josh Ward

PICK 8 – Fremantle – Jye Amiss

PICK 9 – Richmond – Josh Gibcus

PICK 10 – Fremantle – Neil Erasmus

PICK 11 – St Kilda – Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera

PICK 12 – West Coast – Ben Hobbs

PICK 13 – Essendon – Matthew Johnson

PICK 14 – Port Adelaide – Josh Sinn

PICK 15 – Greater Western Sydney – Sam Butler

PICK 16 – Brisbane – Darcy Wilmot

PICK 17 – Richmond – Tyler Sonsie

PICK 18 – Sydney – Tom Brown

PICK 19 – Melbourne – Blake Howes

PICK 20 – Brisbane – Jacob van Rooyen
I think it may have changed order slightly from the article he posted on Monday, but if you want to read a bit more detail / see highlights of some of these players etc, you can read more here:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/688361/...tom-afl-draft-top-30-late-picks-club-whispers