Analysis 2023 AFL SC: Rolling Perfect Team [Post #242 onwards]

AFL Club
Fremantle
Could a ghost ship have won the overall comp? By that I mean could a team selected for round 1 with captain, vice and emergencies set and no trades made during the year scored higher than the overall winner. I believe the answer to that question is yes.

The following team would have scored a total of 40,902 points at an average of 2,264 and beaten the overall winner by 436 points (total 40,466 at an average of 2,248).

Note that whilst I believe this would be very close to the highest scoring team of this nature I don't actually think it is the max score achievable. I have tried to calculate that and when I do it actually sets 2 emergencies on the mid and forward lines which become relevant during the bye rounds. However making the model select the lowest non-zero scoring emergency in the situation when only 1 is required has proven quite tricky so haven't quite got that to work yet.

View attachment 22006
This is interesting. Instead of trying to get 22 solid premiums it was better to take 2 higher priced players in Lloyd and Oliver (although they did out perform their price) and loop rookies.

THCLT

BBL|05 Winner
AFL Club
North Melb.
Could a ghost ship have won the overall comp? By that I mean could a team selected for round 1 with captain, vice and emergencies set and no trades made during the year scored higher than the overall winner. I believe the answer to that question is yes.

The following team would have scored a total of 40,902 points at an average of 2,264 and beaten the overall winner by 436 points (total 40,466 at an average of 2,248).

Note that whilst I believe this would be very close to the highest scoring team of this nature I don't actually think it is the max score achievable. I have tried to calculate that and when I do it actually sets 2 emergencies on the mid and forward lines which become relevant during the bye rounds. However making the model select the lowest non-zero scoring emergency in the situation when only 1 is required has proven quite tricky so haven't quite got that to work yet.

View attachment 22006
Take note 'Lock & Load' players...(y)

Can someone just confirm the rule change for me. Was the following the only changes due to covid.

Round 8 trades: Maximum of two
Round 9-12 trades: Maximum of three
Best 18 scoring system for bye rounds (Round 10 and 11)

34 total trades

Or was there more rounds with top 18 players scoring? Thanks!

THCLT

BBL|05 Winner
AFL Club
North Melb.
Can someone just confirm the rule change for me. Was the following the only changes due to covid.

34 total trades

Summary of KEY changes outlined below, including excerpt from SC website:
  • 18 Rounds
  • 37 Total Trades
  • Max 5 trades for Round 2
  • Max 3 trades Rounds: 9,10,11,12,14,15,16
  • Best 18 scoring Rounds: 3(Essendon & Melbourne Byes),10,11,14,15,16
1601774458178.png 1601774476242.png

AFL Club
North Melb.
Hey @Beg2Differ, I'm about to run my code for this year and came across this thread. Look's like you have been doing a lot of work this year! What solver are you using? Will let you know if my stuff confirms what you got.

34 total trades

Summary of KEY changes outlined below, including excerpt from SC website:
  • 18 Rounds
  • 37 Total Trades
  • Max 3 trades Rounds: 9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16
  • Best 18 scoring Rounds: 3(Essendon & Melbourne Byes),10,11,14,15,16
View attachment 22155 View attachment 22156
Indeed I have been. You may have helped create a monster in that I have been bombarding the site with all sorts of max score calcs through the season.
  • I have been using opensolver which is why it is now taking so long. I haven’t been able to wrap my brain around taking the step to solverstudio.
  • It would be great if you could confirm my outcome. It would be less great if you come up with a higher score and reduce my credibility ;)
  • Rules as per @THCLTs post with a couple of clarifications.
    • After the resumption for round 2, 5 trades were permitted however there was no increase to the max of 30 at that time.
    • Round 13 was only a max 2 trade week.
  • The one thing I couldn’t work out is in the ghost team and how you get it to select the lowest scoring emergency when only one is required. I read your paper on this matter and it mentions indexing emergency scores somehow which was new to me.
I look forward to seeing your results.

Last edited:
AFL Club
North Melb.
Time to repurpose this thread for the BBL.

I have received the scores for each round for last year from @Tails and have been able to cobble together the prices from each round from posts in the break even thread from last year. Obviously a pretty complicated task to do that and the possibility for error is not insignificant however even if there is the odd error I think the following is an interesting study.

By my calcs the highest score achievable last BBL season in Supercoach was 23,748 at an average of 1,397 per round. The team and trades that would have achieved that is set out below. Unfortunately I do not have the actually winning score to hand but hopefully it is not higher. ;)

The zeroes are the bench players; the blue text are the DGR players, the underlined score is the captain, the red shading are the trade outs and the green shading are the trade ins.

1606648825958.png

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
Time to repurpose this thread for BBL purposes.

I have received the scores for each round for last year from @Tails and have been able to cobble together the prices from each round from posts in the break even thread from last year. Obviously a pretty complicated task to do that and the possibility for error is not insignificant however even if there is the odd error I think the following is an interesting study.

By my calcs the highest score achievable last BBL season in Supercoach was 23,748 at an average of 1,397 per round. The team and trades that would have achieved that is set out below. Unfortunately I do not have the actually winning score to hand but hopefully it is not higher. ;)

The zeroes are the bench players; the blue text are the DGR players, the underlined score is the captain, the red shading are the trade outs and the green shading are the trade ins.

View attachment 23029
Good lord

In the Doubles Comp @Connoisseur ran last season @THCLT was the highest ranked coach 45th overall with 15,203 points

AFL Club
Collingwood
The higher scorer in the SCS group was @toxic who finished 35th on a score of 15282.
That 79 points could make all the difference then in making up 8,000 points 😀

If I need a team averaging 1397 points a round to win the whole thing , then I am out before the comp has even begun.

Probably lucky to get 6 players a round scoring 100+ each and every single round let alone all 11 players doing it

Unbelievable to see though

AFL Club
North Melb.
Maximum score for round 1 was 1387 which compares to the winner for round 1 who scored 1253.

No great mystery here with the on-field team including the 10 highest scorers for the round and Ben Dunk who was the highest scoring keeper. Obviously the bench could be anybody given the bank balance available.

1607838697649.png

AFL Club
Collingwood
Maximum score for round 1 was 1387 which compares to the winner for round 1 who scored 1253.

No great mystery here with the on-field team including the 10 highest scorers for the round and Ben Dunk who was the highest scoring keeper. Obviously the bench could be anybody given the bank balance available.

View attachment 23395
Who would take Hatcher's spot given he didn't play the first game ?

Although with $ 300k balance it probably doesn't matter.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Maximum score achievable after 3 rounds in 4115 and compares to the current leader who has 3125.

Points of note
  • Darcy Short still in the team
  • Wildermuth traded out this round (when most of us traded him in)
  • Sams also traded out
  • Briggs traded in
  • Captain didn't come from a DGR team (second highest score didn't either)

1608780773850.png

AFL Club
North Melb.
Maximum score achievable after 4 rounds is 5221 and compares to the current leader who has 4000 exactly.

Points of note
  • I have tweaked the model slightly to ensure DPPs will only switch position if necessary to achieve a higher score. Previously there was no constraint on this and I noticed some players were switching positions when it could have been avoided (2 bat/bwls could change with one another for example).
  • Outs from R3: Ben Cutting, Callum Ferguson, James Vince, James Peirson, Ben Dwarshius, Danny Briggs
  • Ins from R3: Shaun Marsh (oddly), Phil Salt, Daniel Hughes, Nicholas Pooran, Stephen O'Keefe, Tanveer Sangha, Xavier Bartlett
  • Yes there are 7 ins but only 6 outs because I am including all players who appear in any round of the perfect team. As we go through the season more and more players will appear in the perfect team so there will generally be more ins than outs.

1609288831888.png