Discussion Rookie Discussion

Philzsay

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
"Champion Data think Collins can rival Jeremy McGovern as the best intercept marker in the competition"....

Sheeks big call there from CD!! AFL discard and VFL player one year, equal best AFL inercept marker the next year....

Hopefully can snare one of those 100's he got in 2016 early to generate some cash.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
Anyone know what McKay's stats were like as a junior? What's it say about him in the prospectus? Is he a KPD?

AFL Club
GWS Giants
I'm wary about all this Wash hype, expensive and not sure the gap will be that big between him and some of the other rookie mids priced around that $120k mark. Sounds like he'll play.

Just looked at his highlights and whilst I've seen him compared to Josh Kelly and Adam Treloar from what I saw he looks more like a Joel Selwood clone.

Selwood averaged around 75 first season, Kelly 68 and Treloar 83

So Walsh at his price will really need to score nearly 20ppg better than a $123k rookie for the same cash generation. I think it's not unreasonable to see mid rookies score around or over the 60 mark so Walsh needs to be pushing 80 and not sure his body is there, he's still under 80 kegs isn't he?

I'm wary about all this Wash hype, expensive and not sure the gap will be that big between him and some of the other rookie mids priced around that $120k mark. Sounds like he'll play.

Just looked at his highlights and whilst I've seen him compared to Josh Kelly and Adam Treloar from what I saw he looks more like a Joel Selwood clone.

So Walsh at his price will really need to score nearly 20ppg better than a $123k rookie for the same cash generation. I think it's not unreasonable to see mid rookies score around or over the 60 mark so Walsh needs to be pushing 80 and not sure his body is there, he's still under 80 kegs isn't he?
Walsh needs to score 20ppg higher than the 5/6/7th best rookie (depending how deep you are in the mids).

Last year Banfield was the third best mid rookie and averaged 63. I’d rather have Walsh than Barry or Garlett.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Walsh needs to score 20ppg higher than the 5/6/7th best rookie (depending how deep you are in the mids).

Last year Banfield was the third best mid rookie and averaged 63. I’d rather have Walsh than Barry or Garlett.
Yikes! Much worse than I remembered.

Lucky we have Bennell :p

AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting comment on Quaynor from a Friday training report

Quaynor does some nice things and also did kicking out for his team
Yep very interesting. Talk he could sneak into Round 1 calculations with Howe, Dunn, Crisp potentially all missing.

Dunn, Howe, Maynard, Murray top 4 kick-in players for Pies last year - so could be a lucrative role early (even if shared with Maynard, who I am assuming is fit)

AFL Club
GWS Giants

Yeah but I think this year's rookie look better by numbers - always do but don't remember being this comfortable about rookies for a few seasons.

Will all become apparent after JLT though

Just be careful. Poor mid price selections will kill your season worse than poor rookies via poor scores and no cash generation.
Agreed, but easier to correct.

If hypothetically I were to pick Greene and Parfitt and they were not performing, I can go one up and one down in round 3. This allows me to get a little look at the rookies and premos. If I had Merrett and a rookie (in a guns and rookie set up) and the rookie is scoring below 50 on my field, it can be hard to correct that until round 5/6 at the earliest due to cash generation being needed.

I feel some of the mid pricers I have can out score what they are priced at significantly while still giving me the best rookies on each line (missing out on the 4th-6th best on each line),and giving me a POD that can be handy.

AFL Club
Melbourne
Agreed, but easier to correct.

If hypothetically I were to pick Greene and Parfitt and they were not performing, I can go one up and one down in round 3. This allows me to get a little look at the rookies and premos. If I had Merrett and a rookie (in a guns and rookie set up) and the rookie is scoring below 50 on my field, it can be hard to correct that until round 5/6 at the earliest due to cash generation being needed.

I feel some of the mid pricers I have can out score what they are priced at significantly while still giving me the best rookies on each line (missing out on the 4th-6th best on each line),and giving me a POD that can be handy.
In theory it sounds fine, but if you end up with 2-3 mid price players needing correction then that is tougher to deal with.... just sayin ?

In theory it sounds fine, but if you end up with 2-3 mid price players needing correction then that is tougher to deal with.... just sayin ?
Agree, same can be said if you have a premo under performing and some rookies scoring badly/getting dropped. It all comes back to picking the right players.

Definitely some risk in mid price players.

AFL Club
Fremantle

The expansion team rookies scores are probably not a good guide as they were given way more opportunity then a rookie entering an established team.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The expansion team rookies scores are probably not a good guide as they were given way more opportunity then a rookie entering an established team.
If the hype is to be believed, and generally I think it is, I reckon Walsh will be given every opportunity to establish himself as a midfielder from day dot.

While I’ve never seen him play, I saw enough of Rankine and Lukocious over the last 2 years to say that anyone taken before them in the draft must have some bloody good talent.

Blues midfield is far from established outside of Cripps & Curnow, plenty of scope for him to get a good chunk of midfield time if he’s up to it.

It’s all speculation at this point but i think there’s a very good chance he scores enough to place him in the best handful of rookie of the year, even at his elevated price. Easier to include him in your drafts at this stage and replace him than it is to find space for him if he looks the goods.