Discussion Rookie Discussion

AFL Club
Melbourne
Sounds promising for Marty Hore

The Demons generally took the short option with their kick-ins and first-year player Marty Hore shared those duties with Christian Salem, who continued his half-back role, for their side.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-09/back-on-trac-gun-demon-impresses-in-match-sim
Promising... but he still needs to get in the best 22 first

Edit - currently on my bench, so hoping he gets an early call up. With Lever still out until mid season, perhaps there is a spot for him in the team. If I recall correctly I think Fritsch played in Def with Lever injured, but I don’t think that is his preferred position. Fritsch may move to wing/HF and this may open a spot for Hore. I’m just guessing at this stage, but it is definitely one to watch.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cripps , Walsh , Setterfield * , Stocker , Cottrell * , Gibbons

6 Carlton mids , good grief
And if last year was anything to go by, should all get a solid go at some point through the season. Dow and garlett got a decent block of games despite interrupted preseasons.

AFL Club
Collingwood
And if last year was anything to go by, should all get a solid go at some point through the season. Dow and garlett got a decent block of games despite interrupted preseasons.
Just don't want them to play 2-3 games , get rested , come back for 2-3 etc etc and cash generation stalled.

Need to check Carlton's list to see where 5 new ones + Newman fit in.

AFL Club
Carlton
Cripps , Walsh , Setterfield * , Stocker , Cottrell * , Gibbons

6 Carlton mids , good grief
Haha Cottrell won't play this year.

Stocker won't start Round 1.

Certainly looks likely I'll be picking all of Cripps, Walsh, Setterfield, Gibbons though. Setterfield in the forward line so it's really just three rookies from the same team, not too huge.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Haha Cottrell won't play this year.

Stocker won't start Round 1.

Certainly looks likely I'll be picking all of Cripps, Walsh, Setterfield, Gibbons though. Setterfield in the forward line so it's really just three rookies from the same team, not too huge.
why did they sign Cottrell if they were not going to play him ?

I was just about to add Daisy , Gibbs & Murph to my midfield

Walsh is a pass for me , Cripps has been locked since Day 1.

When it comes to rookies if they are named Round 1 , I don't care who they play , just hate it when they dissapointing after 2-4 games.

Very keen to see Setterfield play.

AFL Club
Carlton
Cottrell is 19 so not a mature-age player. Has great fitness though but wouldn't get an opportunity at AFL level unless we have a lot of injuries to our midfield, specifically outside mids like Walsh, Newman, LOB etc. It's just a rookie list spot, so it can be a speculative pick that we can develop over years, doesn't have to be a ready to go player.

I might pick Setterfield even if he's not named Round 1, unless he has an injury setback. Is going to play extremely early, I'm also keen to see him!

AFL Club
Collingwood
Cottrell is 19 so not a mature-age player. Has great fitness though but wouldn't get an opportunity at AFL level unless we have a lot of injuries to our midfield, specifically outside mids like Walsh, Newman, LOB etc. It's just a rookie list spot, so it can be a speculative pick that we can develop over years, doesn't have to be a ready to go player.

I might pick Setterfield even if he's not named Round 1, unless he has an injury setback. Is going to play extremely early, I'm also keen to see him!
Thanks for your insights

AFL Club
Collingwood
Walsh , Bennell , Setterfield * , Stocker , Atley , Constable , Bewley , Hind , Cottrell * , Gibbons etc etc

Didn't Jay start a all rookie mid line one year ?

Cripps , Fyfe , Taranto + 8 ?

5-2-2-5 could be fun to try

WO FAT

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
why did they sign Cottrell if they were not going to play him ?

I was just about to add Daisy , Gibbs & Murph to my midfield

Walsh is a pass for me , Cripps has been locked since Day 1.

When it comes to rookies if they are named Round 1 , I don't care who they play , just hate it when they dissapointing after 2-4 games.

Very keen to see Setterfield play.
Gibbs?

AFL Club
Melbourne
I just noticed the following comment on a Demonland training thread from today's training session:

"...this year all our recruits bar Hore have done the major part of the preseason which will stand them in good stead for the season and is unusual as usually the young guys struggle with the loads and carry injuries from the TAC season. "

I'm not sure how much training Hore has missed or whether this will impact his round 1 chances, but just worth noting at this stage.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I just noticed the following comment on a Demonland training thread from today's training session:

"...this year all our recruits bar Hore have done the major part of the preseason which will stand them in good stead for the season and is unusual as usually the young guys struggle with the loads and carry injuries from the TAC season. "

I'm not sure how much training Hore has missed or whether this will impact his round 1 chances, but just worth noting at this stage.
Seemed like he is in full training now so hopefully he’s all good.

AFL Club
Fremantle
Walsh , Bennell , Setterfield * , Stocker , Atley , Constable , Bewley , Hind , Cottrell * , Gibbons etc etc

Didn't Jay start a all rookie mid line one year ?

Cripps , Fyfe , Taranto + 8 ?

5-2-2-5 could be fun to try
I think people are forgetting Danger in the forward line and then some have Grundy in the rucks so lean in the midfield is completely viable. Usually the best forward and ruck might be $500 to $550k so loading up on 3 or 4 high priced mids is the norm but loading up on 4 high priced mids plus Danger and Grundy is 6! Losing value against those that start 3 or 4 total.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I think people are forgetting Danger in the forward line and then some have Grundy in the rucks so lean in the midfield is completely viable. Usually the best forward and ruck might be $500 to $550k so loading up on 3 or 4 high priced mids is the norm but loading up on 4 high priced mids plus Danger and Grundy is 6! Losing value against those that start 3 or 4 total.
Not sure I completely follow

still managed

D: Simpson , Whitfield
R: Grundy , Westhoff
F: Danger , Heeney , Gray , Mundy

Theoretically we should be basing our starting 22 on where the rookies are and midfield rookies should score better.

Problem is if you only make $ 150,000.00 on a < $ 123,900.00 you need 2 down to go 1 up to get a mid at $ 575,000.00.

There always is a stack of mids that drop to around that price during the bye rounds.

5 deep defence & forward does restrict upgrade options.

Maybe a Smith/Hanley/Roberton price type at D5 and Greene/Daniher at F5.

Bennell at M5 could do a similar scoring job to a Miles/Hanneberry/Libba type

all conjecture and specialties at the moment, depends where the rookies are and what we think they can score

Last edited:
AFL Club
Fremantle
It was a reference to how many high priced players do you start. It's not normally a problem because F1 might be $550k or less and R1 might be $550K or less so starting 4 mids close to or above $600k hasn't been a problem. But Danger is $660k and Grundy is $700k so there are two of your normal high priced players yet people are still thinking they need their normal 4 or 5 mid keepers who are close to or above $600k. If you go Cripps, Fyfe, Neale or Macrae, Cripps, Fyfe you are now up to 5. Alternatively you might go Cripps, Fyfe which gets you to 4 and then people are adding Merrett, Crouch, Dusty or Bont, Sloane, Zorko to fill up their midfield but possibly picking 3 M8's. I think it's trap to think your midfield has to have a certain look each year. Just as we follow the rookies we have to follow the high priced players as well.