Discussion Rookie Discussion

AFL Club
Collingwood
It was a reference to how many high priced players do you start. It's not normally a problem because F1 might be $550k or less and R1 might be $550K or less so starting 4 mids close to or above $600k hasn't been a problem. But Danger is $660k and Grundy is $700k so there are two of your normal high priced players yet people are still thinking they need their normal 4 or 5 mid keepers who are close to or above $600k. If you go Cripps, Fyfe, Neale or Macrae, Cripps, Fyfe you are now up to 5. Alternatively you might go Cripps, Fyfe which gets you to 4 and then people are adding Merrett, Crouch, Dusty or Bont, Sloane, Zorko to fill up their midfield but possibly picking 3 M8's. I think it's trap to think your midfield has to have a certain look each year. Just as we follow the rookies we have to follow the high priced players as well.
ok that now completely makes sense

normally I initially think 2 @ $ 700,000.00 + 16 @ $ 125,000.00 which gives me $ 3.4 million

then 12 @ $ 550,000.00

but the last few years the defenders have started higher than that , and like you said you then can get caught in a $ 550,000.00 mid trap.

Obviously then if there are viable mid-price you can then juggle things around.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Cottrell is 19 so not a mature-age player. Has great fitness though but wouldn't get an opportunity at AFL level unless we have a lot of injuries to our midfield, specifically outside mids like Walsh, Newman, LOB etc. It's just a rookie list spot, so it can be a speculative pick that we can develop over years, doesn't have to be a ready to go player.

I might pick Setterfield even if he's not named Round 1, unless he has an injury setback. Is going to play extremely early, I'm also keen to see him!
Can I ask why Stocker is basically no chance for round 1? Surely he has caught up to fitness now..

Btw when do you see him playing?

AFL Club
Carlton
Can I ask why Stocker is basically no chance for round 1? Surely he has caught up to fitness now..

Btw when do you see him playing?
I probably should've given him a 10% chance or so, but he doesn't seem to be tearing the house down in match simulations and there are inclusions such as Walsh/Setterfield/Newman/Gibbons that would be ahead of him.

I'd expect him to debut in the early rounds of the season (Round 4-7 or so), when we have injuries etc

Wouldn't have Stocker ahead of: Cripps Murphy ECurnow Dow Fisher SPS Walsh Setterfield Kennedy Gibbons, but certainly if Setterfield and another missed out (Kennedy perhaps), he could debut earlier than expected.

AFL Club
West Coast
I think people are forgetting Danger in the forward line and then some have Grundy in the rucks so lean in the midfield is completely viable. Usually the best forward and ruck might be $500 to $550k so loading up on 3 or 4 high priced mids is the norm but loading up on 4 high priced mids plus Danger and Grundy is 6! Losing value against those that start 3 or 4 total.
I am currently running 4-1-6 in the midfield. Gibbons helps that at 102k

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am currently running 4-1-6 in the midfield. Gibbons helps that at 102k
Can't see myslef taking any of the mid-priced options in the midfield .... would prefer to take those risks in defenders or forwards .... only changed that structure recently ..

AFL Club
West Coast
Can't see myslef taking any of the mid-priced options in the midfield .... would prefer to take those risks in defenders or forwards .... only changed that structure recently ..
Okay. Shall we make in 4-0-7 then:sneaky:

AFL Club
Essendon
Still early on, but I'm gonna raise Burgess 124k D/F as the ideal Floating Donut To Play. GC have a very good loophole draw early on. I've only looked until pre-byes so far, but I've determined that Burgess lets you loophole Dangerfield/Fyfe for the first 5 rounds and should give you a loophole sometimes involving Grundy/Cripps for the next 5 rounds after that.

With his D/F, he might also link up well with other D/F rookies such as Rozee or D.Moore. Could be handy on his own as well as you can pivot him back and forward depending on preferred structures.

If he plays round one, you pick him any way, but just flagging as a potential FDTP.

I think Burgess is likely to play, Dew seemed to actually say he and Corbett are more likely to play round 1 than collins here
I was looking at Tobe Watson as a player to potentially loophole with Duursma in defence and midfield, Duursma might not be the best option as a cash cow though.

Edit : So if Duursma is named R1 you’d have extra cover down back and most weeks you’d get to choose whether to loophole in a defender or a mid

Last edited:
AFL Club
North Melb.
Still early on, but I'm gonna raise Burgess 124k D/F as the ideal Floating Donut To Play. GC have a very good loophole draw early on. I've only looked until pre-byes so far, but I've determined that Burgess lets you loophole Dangerfield/Fyfe for the first 5 rounds and should give you a loophole sometimes involving Grundy/Cripps for the next 5 rounds after that.

With his D/F, he might also link up well with other D/F rookies such as Rozee or D.Moore. Could be handy on his own as well as you can pivot him back and forward depending on preferred structures.

If he plays round one, you pick him any way, but just flagging as a potential FDTP.
A man after my own heart :) I currently have him in DEF as a swingset with Moore for just the reason. If he plays, still all good :)

AFL Club
Collingwood
http://supercoachtalk.com/2019-team-preview-north-melbourne/
DEFENDERS
……..With Daw missing for the foreseeable future and Scotty Thompson suspended for R1 there’s a spot or two for a tall defender in the North set up. Durdin ($202,300) and McKay ($123,900) will be vying for these spots and with the news that North has signed McKay for a longer contract you’d suspect he might get a decent run at it this year. But he’s a key position player so even if he’s named round one I’d only pick him if there’s no other options. We’re all well aware that key defenders aren’t that sexy in SuperCoach…......

AFL Club
Collingwood
MIDFIELD
LDU or Davies-Uniacke ($197,500) for those that weren’t on SuperCoach forums or social media last season hits us again at a similar price as last year. It’d take a brave (or foolish) coach to go with him again last year. I just can’t recommend him when there’s Tarryn Thomas ($175,000). As an aside, I feel he’ll always get the full name treatment from commentators. Tarryn Thomas is 23.5K cheaper than LDU and the wraps on him are massive. You’ve probably already picked him but if you haven’t get back onto the team picker and change that team. Get him in. Just watch Brad Scott though as he can be quite shifty and keep North’s rookies back.

There’s a bunch of other cheap North mids around the 102K mark but with Hall, Polec, Pittard, Tyson and Tarryn Thomas all new to the club there’s unlikely to be a spot for them unless the injury stick hits a few North players.

AFL Club
North Melb.
DEFENDERS
……..With Daw missing for the foreseeable future and Scotty Thompson suspended for R1 there’s a spot or two for a tall defender in the North set up. Durdin ($202,300) and McKay ($123,900) will be vying for these spots and with the news that North has signed McKay for a longer contract you’d suspect he might get a decent run at it this year. But he’s a key position player so even if he’s named round one I’d only pick him if there’s no other options. We’re all well aware that key defenders aren’t that sexy in SuperCoach…......
Lock in McKay for round 1 mate. Probably won't be the highest scorer, but there is definitely a spot down there for him. I had us lined up with Taz, Maj and McKay with Thompson floating back there, and then all the injury news makes him a sure thing