Discussion Rookie Discussion

AFL Club
North Melb.
Appreciate the reply and comments.

No mention of Pittard.

I guess like any rookies named Round 1 we have to weigh up and select them.

Might need 5-6 correction trades in Round 3 if half of them dissapointing :)

how is your namesake tracking ? any room for him ?

Cheers
I don't think Pittard is best 22 (yet) - I think he needs some time in the VFL for the early part of the season, just to get some touch back. I have Scott ahead of him.

TT is tracking well - liked what I saw in the JLT, but will be surprised if he's selected Round 1.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't think Pittard is best 22 (yet) - I think he needs some time in the VFL for the early part of the season, just to get some touch back. I have Scott ahead of him.

TT is tracking well - liked what I saw in the JLT, but will be surprised if he's selected Round 1.
Cheers

I will miss watching Jasper on TV each week and wondering what he will do next with the ball ? , certainly adds a sense of excitement

AFL Club
North Melb.
North Melbourne supporters

how many spots are available in your side ?

Clarke left & Waite retired , Daw recovering , Anderson & Tarrant on the injury list.

Hall , Polec , Pittard , Tyson all recruited , is Scott a safe pick ?
I’d say Scott is a fairly safe pick. From our best 22, Anderson, Thompson and Jacobs are likely to miss. Thompson is irreverent for Scott. Someone has to replace the other two, and I think Scott and LDU are the most likely initially. And someone else will probably get injured by the time they’re back.

AFL Club
West Coast
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-04/afl-injury-survey-released

In relation to discussion on multiple previous posts re rookies job security due to players returning from injury, and dont worry i share the same concern.

It is a valid concern that a rookie player picked in round 1 is dropped in r2,3,4.... etc. so thought i would see if i could find any data on injuries, attached in the link above. (couldn't find 2018 data)

Summary
2016: players missed an average 139.8 games from 37 injuries per team
2017: players missed an average 141.3 games from 35.1 injuries per team

So quick n dirty stats check tells me that in any round, on average a club has ballpark 7 players out from injury each week, with 1.5ish new injuries per week. obviously some of these are best 22, some are not.

Point being perhaps we are overly concerned about a rookie losing there spot to a player returning from injury, as unless they suffer the injury themselves there is a good chance that a returning player simply takes the spot of a player who is newly injured if they hvae a similar role. obviously wont work out in every case, but some small comfort in the above data. ps not wishing injury on any player obviously!

(PS Mods feel free to move this to the injury thread if its better placed there.)
PPS i may have read the stats wrong, someone feel free to let me know of a different interpretation.

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’d say Scott is a fairly safe pick. From our best 22, Anderson, Thompson and Jacobs are likely to miss. Thompson is irreverent for Scott. Someone has to replace the other two, and I think Scott and LDU are the most likely initially. And someone else will probably get injured by the time they’re back.
How long is Anderson out for ? I haven't heard anything about his injury so would love to know. Is it a short-term injury which means Scott might only be in for a few weeks?

AFL Club
North Melb.
How long is Anderson out for ? I haven't heard anything about his injury so would love to know. Is it a short-term injury which means Scott might only be in for a few weeks?
Looking like he is out for a long period of time as the club hasnt specified a return date yet. Ben Jacobs also out indefinitely so there will be spots up for grabs. However I think that all of Pittard, Polec, Hall and Tyson will line up Rd 1 so whether or not theres a spot for him remains to be seen. He is however a great talent and will get a game at some stage. Just depends how cautious Scott is at blooding him seeing as LDU only got 7 games last year.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
Looking like he is out for a long period of time as the club hasnt specified a return date yet. Ben Jacobs also out indefinitely so there will be spots up for grabs. However I think that all of Pittard, Polec, Hall and Tyson will line up Rd 1 so whether or not theres a spot for him remains to be seen. He is however a great talent and will get a game at some stage. Just depends how cautious Scott is at blooding him seeing as LDU only got 7 games last year.
Scott starts on the wing. He's earnt his spot. The Atleys, McDonalds, Pittards, etc fight over HB.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Scott starts on the wing. He's earnt his spot. The Atleys, McDonalds, Pittards, etc fight over HB.
Scott passed the "eye test" in the JLT for me. Averaged 102 SC in the U18C and 123 SC in the AFL Academy series. Looks to be a decent scorer and accumulator. Hoping he's named and if so, I'll be picking him.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Some media outlets rate Ridley as a must have rookie yet most teams I see don’t have him.

Why/why not?

AFL Club
North Melb.
Some media outlets rate Ridley as a must have rookie yet most teams I see don’t have him.

Why/why not?
3 games at 53 last year but he's scored two 90s in JLT so people are getting excited.
Overly so I think.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Why/why not?
Progression, role & opportunity. Probably not one for me but i think it would be lax to immediately strike him from consideration with the current rookie landscape.