Discussion Rookie Discussion

Ben's Beasts

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Melbourne
Mind if I ask what makes you think Balta will play again?
I remember when he was selected and Hardwick said ''he is raw'', to me thats never a good sign after you go on to underperform.
I take that to mean the rookie wasn't ready yet.
I believe I read something along the lines of "he needs a few games at VFL level". So my expectation is that we may not see him over the next few rounds but that he will play at some stage this season.

Yes, I like that trade.

Parker looks like a good rookie option although I wouldn't be banking on him going 85+ every week. At least he has shown he can though.
Thanks. Haven't actually seen him play, but seems to have a SC friendly game. Not expecting 85, but hoping 70-75 is achievable for the first half of the season. They've had a pretty soft start though. So I'm concerned how he'll score in losses. ?

AFL Club
Carlton
If Hore not playing this week, I lean strongly to trading him. But my original plan of trading him to LDU I am no longer doing for reasons explained in round 3 trades thread which leaves me just considering Scrimshhaw of the other backline rookies I not started. I never been sold on him as was skeptical of his reasons for not doing any good at Gold Coast. BUT, he has played opening two rounds for Hawks. I am not keen but my mind is still open.

Sell me on him. Is his JS really secure for over a month? I want to try to believe in him making $150K to $200K for me.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
If Hore not playing this week, I lean strongly to trading him. But my original plan of trading him to LDU I am no longer doing for reasons explained in round 3 trades thread which leaves me just considering Scrimshhaw of the other backline rookies I not started. I never been sold on him as was skeptical of his reasons for not doing any good at Gold Coast. BUT, he has played opening two rounds for Hawks. I am not keen but my mind is still open.

Sell me on him. Is his JS really secure for over a month? I want to try to believe in him making $150K to $200K for me.
Scrimshaw should be safe for the next month.

Birchall out indefinitely. Burton traded to Port Adelaide. Burgoyne out for the next month and Mirra is borderline best 22.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Already cost me lots of points, Collins/Balta rd 1, Scott last week. Turn of a friendly card didn't happen. Need some luck with them, particularly early rounds on the park. Not to be.

Last edited:

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks. Haven't actually seen him play, but seems to have a SC friendly game. Not expecting 85, but hoping 70-75 is achievable for the first half of the season. They've had a pretty soft start though. So I'm concerned how he'll score in losses. ?
Worth flagging that he scored 61 and 36 in the JLT from decent TOG.

Coming into the season I think many saw him as a slow burner with good JS - maybe a bit better than Gibbons, but more required because of a lack of depth in the forward line. I've been pleasantly surprised in rounds one and two, but I'm not sure we should be lifting our expectations significantly.

If I didn't have Parker I would still do the trade you suggested though.

AFL Club
North Melb.
What is there that people know about Josh Rotham?
123k WCE def rookie on the bubble this week. Any injuries keeping him in the side or is the position his if he's good enough? Mature age defender rookies are SC gold.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
123k WCE def rookie on the bubble this week. Any injuries keeping him in the side or is the position his if he's good enough? Mature age defender rookies are SC gold.
I can’t remember who but it was a WC supporter who mentioned his JS as being very poor (before the game against Freo)

That said the same things were said about Doedee and others and he’s coming off a great game. If you play well you’ll stay in the side and I can’t see any WC defenders injured atm so may just make a spot his own even if it is starting on a bench and having Sheppard or others push up a bit higher.

AFL Club
West Coast
came in for an injury game 1, dropped game 2 but late in, poor JS

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
AFL Club
West Coast
came in for an injury, dropped game 2 but late in, poor JS
Yep agree 100%, was covering for Duggan (knee) in his first game, Duggan came back this week so Rotham was dropped but received a reprieve when Jetta was a late out. Not sure what Jetta's issue was, but he'll be straight back in when fit which could be this week.

Our back 6 or 7 of Gov, Barass, Hurn, Cole, Jetta, Duggan and Shepard is very strong... so Rotham will have to settle for filling in for injured players. Also has Premiership defender Will Schofield to compete with for a spot... so Rotham isn't a good pick.

Loved his game though and will get his opportunities in the future.

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Any chance Baker or Bolton can get a good run of games?

Dusty back this week, Cotchin 2-3 weeks, Houli a chance to return and JRoo 3 weeks away.

Think i just answered my own question...