Discussion Rookie Discussion

AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like Jetta is on track to play. If Rotham still gets named with Jetta returning, do you think it’s a positive enough sign to take a punt on him?

No, Because that would mean one of Gov, Barrass, Hurn, Cole, Duggan or Sheppard would have to be dropped. We run with 6 defenders and a spare on the bench, can't see us dropping a mid to bring an 8th defender into the team.

Duggan was brought straight back in for Rotham after 1 week so that shows Duggan is rated, Gov, Barrass, Hurn, Shep are going nowhere... so that only leaved Cole. And he is highly rated internally as a mid sized defenfer, Premiership player, and can play on all sizes. Can't see him suddenly being dropped whilst he's in good form for a 2 game player no matter how good Rotham has looked.

AFL Club
Carlton
No, Because that would mean one of Gov, Barrass, Hurn, Cole, Duggan or Sheppard would have to be dropped. We run with 6 defenders and a spare on the bench, can't see us dropping a mid to bring an 8th defender into the team.

Duggan was brought straight back in for Rotham after 1 week so that shows Duggan is rated, Gov, Barrass, Hurn, Shep are going nowhere... so that only leaved Cole. And he is highly rated internally as a mid sized defenfer, Premiership player, and can play on all sizes. Can't see him suddenly being dropped whilst he's in good form for a 2 game player no matter how good Rotham has looked.
I want Rotham but I'd actually rather not need to grab him this week if can avoid it and he stays on bubble for a few weeks. The reality is , if he is 8th in cue for defence spot and 7 in 22 every week he will still get games plenty of times because there likely to be 1 of other 7 out from time to time.

AFL Club
West Coast
I want Rotham but I'd actually rather not need to grab him this week if can avoid it and he stays on bubble for a few weeks. The reality is , if he is 8th in cue for defence spot and 7 in 22 every week he will still get games plenty of times because there likely to be 1 of other 7 out from time to time.
Don't forget Grand Final hero and Premiership defender Will Schofield... Simmo said just before Rotham's Debut that Schofield couldn't be considered to replace Duggan, as he was ill that week. So had Schoey not been crook... I doubt Rotham even makes his debut. Francis Watson was also ahead Rotham in the pecking order over the JLT series.

I don't think Rotham is automatically the 8th in line in defense.

AFL Club
Carlton
Don't forget Grand Final hero and Premiership defender Will Schofield... Simmo said just before Rotham's Debut that Schofield couldn't be considered to replace Duggan, as he was ill that week. So had Schoey not been crook... I doubt Rotham even makes his debut. Francis Watson was also ahead Rotham in the pecking order over the JLT series.

I don't think Rotham is automatically the 8th in line in defense.
He is back to 9th all of a sudden.. ha ha
That is annoying. You got any good news for me ? ;)

AFL Club
West Coast
Never gave it much thought until I saw the article on the AFL site... But we could be in for a bonus influx of bargain priced rookies after round 10...
You would think any club drafting would be doing so for immediate needs, so they might be useful.

"The evening following round 10 - Monday, May 27 - marks the first Mid-Season Rookie Draft since 1993, with 14 positions currently available across the competition."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04...ho-will-be-the-next-tim-kelly-or-kane-lambert

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Never gave it much thought until I saw the article on the AFL site... But we could be in for a bonus influx of bargain priced rookies after round 10...
You would think any club drafting would be doing so for immediate needs, so they might be useful.

"The evening following round 10 - Monday, May 27 - marks the first Mid-Season Rookie Draft since 1993, with 14 positions currently available across the competition."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04...ho-will-be-the-next-tim-kelly-or-kane-lambert
Definitely. The supplementary rookies are a god send for SC.

AFL Club
Carlton
A full week before multi bye rounds start too. Will be interesting.

Certainly as a Carlton supporter, if we have not found a goal kicking small forward by that time I fully expect to be grabbing the best available in form type in that mid season rookie draft and fair chance he play too,
At present our two best options seem injured. Pickett out until later in season and Kym LeBois barely played more than a few games in a row at VFL level in two years due to injuries. I do not think he played last week either so fair chance mid season we still looking for that elusive goal kicking/pressure forward we lacking big time right now. At present we been trying midfielders there like Gibbons and Polson but they really midfielders pushed to learn the forward craft and certainly not worked so far. Fasolo been no use either after pre-season injury and form in opening two rounds no good. He had back injury last week in VFL so not confident that working out either. Bring on the mid season rookie draft....

AFL Club
North Melb.

Bloody crazy that 10 ACL's on that page that have opened mid-season rookie draft spots :oops:

My knees hurt just reading it...

AFL Club
Carlton
Essendon also had a retirement that website seemed to not mention.
Ex-cricketer Luke Lavender announced his retirement from Essendon about two months back.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood

Great point.

Maybe cash gen is less of an issue than it may currently seem (I think it usually is anyway, but still) ... means we should perhaps be a bit more focused on getting the very best keepers to finish the season?

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon also had a retirement that website seemed to not mention.
Ex-cricketer Luke Lavender announced his retirement from Essendon about two months back.
Possibly doesn't count as they were a Cat B rookie, sits outside the usual list.

AFL Club
Carlton
Checking things off before doing any trades for round.
Hope I got all the ones I need to consider.
I suspect some are emergencies this week that I may have missed.
Actually come to think of it Robbie Young and Jon Marsh of Saints probably do not have below.
Just pasting from a little sorting done from keeper league I play with only Supercoach scores involved rather than our keeper league scores.

Already played but yet to increase in price
Baker, Liam RIC FWD $162,100 - - - 91
Ross, Jack RIC MID $117,300 - - - 87
O'Brien, Reilly ADE RUC $136,800 - - 85 84
Rotham, Josh WCE DEF $123,900 - - 56 98
Bolton, Shai RIC FWD $146,600 - - - 75
Stack, Sydney RIC MID $102,400 - - 108 40
Hore, Marty MEL DEF $117,300 58 - - 86
Clarke, Zac ESS RUC $142,600 - - 49 64
Markov, Oleg RIC DEF $158,000 - 30 67 -
Sparrow, Tom MEL MID $117,300 62 34 - -
Lockhart, Jay MEL DEF/MID $102,400 - 32 57 -
Balta, Noah RIC FWD $123,900 18 - 31 14
McInerney, Justin SYD DEF $117,300 - - - 21

Yet to play but could be about to play in coming weeks
Bewley, Brett FRE MID $117,300
Hind, Nick STK MID $117,300
Rowbottom, James SYD MID $117,300
Hayes, Will WBD MID $117,300
Young, Lachlan WBD DEF $120,400
Schumacher, Angus CAR DEF $123,900
Draper, Sam ESS RUC $123,900
Corbett, Joshua GCS FWD $123,900
Baker, Oskar MEL MID $123,900
Keilty, Declan MEL DEF $123,900
Larkey, Nick NTH FWD $123,900
Stocker, Liam CAR MID $126,300
Hately, Jackson GWS MID $148,800
Petty, Harrison MEL DEF $160,700
Rose, James SYD FWD $165,000
Cumming, Isaac GWS DEF $173,700
Greene, Fergus WBD FWD $202,300
Guthrie, Zach GEE DEF $203,800
Johnson, Aidyn PTA FWD $208,100
Heron, Jacob GCS DEF/FWD $238,200

AFL Club
Carlton
With so many mids like Ross, Hayes and Hately being active in coming weeks to possibly grab, I may see if letting Stack go is an ok thing to do and find bigger fish to fry this trading round. Will give it some thought but Stack got to think long and hard whether right for my structure this week in terms of trades.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Prospectus write ups on the following rookies
  • Liam Baker: rated elite for Champion Data ranking points for general forwards in the VFL. The only general forward to play at least 10 games to rate elite for disposals, CPs, UPs, score assists and score involvements. Rated average for tackles. 21 years old.
  • Jack Ross: Recorded 25 disposals or more in five of his final six games in the TAC Cup (where he averaged 97SC). Rated above average for disposals and elite for disposal efficiency and kicking efficiency. Was 7th in clearances in the TAC Cup and won the B&F for the Oakleigh Chargers.
  • Lachlan Young: Averaged 62 Champion Data points (pretty sure this means SC) in the VFL last year and 13.3 disposals. In each of his 3 seasons of TAC Cup, he has averaged ~13 disposals and between 66-68 CD points. Averaged 4.4 Intercept Possessions in the VFL last season.
  • Will Hayes: Averaged 94 Champion Data points across his last two seasons in the VFL where he has played as a midfield. Averaged 97 SC and 98 DT last season in the VFL, where he won Footscray's B&F and rated elite as a midfielder for disposals, kicks and UPs. Played as a fwd in his first three seasons of VFL, where he averaged 0.9 goals per game and 68 Champion Data points.
  • Jackson Hately: Averaged 83 DT and 91 SC in the SANFL last season, where he played mainly as an outside midfielder. Averaged 96 DT and 107 SC in the U18 Championships, rating elite for clearances and tackles. Has kicked 49 goals from his 52 matches covered by Champion Data.

Prospectus write ups on the following rookies

Jackson Hately: Averaged 83 DT and 91 SC in the SANFL last season, where he played mainly as an outside midfielder. Averaged 96 DT and 107 SC in the U18 Championships, rating elite for clearances and tackles. Has kicked 49 goals from his 52 matches covered by Champion Data.
Not exactly played to his strengths..

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Really not much I could find on Lockhart... VFL stats are here. I was curious, so I calculated his DT stats. He averaged 69DT for the year (including finals) and averaged 83 from his last 11 games (including finals). Had 4 BOGs and was named in the bests 10 times out of 21 games.