Discussion Rookie Discussion

AFL Club
Essendon
Hayden Young's 129 average in the Nab league and 107 in the u/18 championship is very high for a general defender. These competitions usually disadvantage half-back types so that is very a good sign for his game at the next level. Ash from GWS is similarly impressive in that role but probably won't get as much opportunity.

Currently I only have Rowell and Young in my side as my two expensive first year rookies.

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Watched quite a lot and followed the Under 18's stuff pretty closely this year (particularly the Vic side of things).

Really looking forward to seeing how some of these draftees go over the preseason and in the JLT games.

AFL Club
West Coast
Watched quite a lot and followed the Under 18's stuff pretty closely this year (particularly the Vic side of things).

Really looking forward to seeing how some of these draftees go over the preseason and in the JLT games.
Any insights on who might be able to make an immediate impact?

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any insights on who might be able to make an immediate impact?
Obviously a lot comes down to the club where blokes are drafted, and where those clubs are in their tilt for premiership glory, along with history of blooding young guys early. The obvious ones are Rowell, Anderson and Flanders at the Suns, they'll be given plenty of opportunities and all three will just about walk into that GCS side. Hayden Young at Freo should slot straight in at half back for Freo, as @pizza safety points out above, his junior numbers are fantastic and best of all he's an elite ball user, something that Freo need out of the back half and through the middle. Dylan Stephens at the Swans is also someone else to follow closely I think, Horse has had no problems in the past in throwing young blokes into the thick of it (Mills, Heeney, Blakey, McCartin). He played plenty of SANFL footy last year which is encouraging, and is again a good ball user. Clarkson traditionally has made our recent draftees prove themselves a bit at Box Hill (Worpel, Moore) before blooding them, but I do expect Finn Maginness to get an opportunity at some stage throughout the year, his body is developed enough for the AFL and has an elite tank. Needs to continue to clean up his disposal a bit, but that certainly improved as the season went on last year.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Obviously a lot comes down to the club where blokes are drafted, and where those clubs are in their tilt for premiership glory, along with history of blooding young guys early. The obvious ones are Rowell, Anderson and Flanders at the Suns, they'll be given plenty of opportunities and all three will just about walk into that GCS side. Hayden Young at Freo should slot straight in at half back for Freo, as @pizza safety points out above, his junior numbers are fantastic and best of all he's an elite ball user, something that Freo need out of the back half and through the middle. Dylan Stephens at the Swans is also someone else to follow closely I think, Horse has had no problems in the past in throwing young blokes into the thick of it (Mills, Heeney, Blakey, McCartin). He played plenty of SANFL footy last year which is encouraging, and is again a good ball user. Clarkson traditionally has made our recent draftees prove themselves a bit at Box Hill (Worpel, Moore) before blooding them, but I do expect Finn Maginness to get an opportunity at some stage throughout the year, his body is developed enough for the AFL and has an elite tank. Needs to continue to clean up his disposal a bit, but that certainly improved as the season went on last year.
Thanks for the late Xmas present GG! :D

Adelaide forward Tom Lynch has heaped high praise on young gun Ned McHenry, declaring he's going to be 'an absolute star'.

The 19-year-old livewire is poised to break into the senior side in 2020 as part of a youthful forward line under new senior coach Matthew Nicks.

McHenry – the 16th overall pick in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft – struggled with a back injury in his first season at the Crows.

However, his outstanding form at the back-end of the SANFL season, including a four-goal, 17-disposal performance in a semi-final win against Norwood, gave a glimpse of what he's capable of at the elite level.

McHenry has carried that into the pre-season, finishing second behind fellow first-round draftee Chayce Jones in the club's 2km time trial in November.

Lynch has no doubt that the diminutive McHenry is on the verge of making an impact next year.

"McHenry's going to be an absolute star," Lynch told AFL.com.au.

"He's one of the more competitive little blokes I've ever seen walk into a footy club.

"He was trying to get his body right last season so he can consistently play, but once he was playing at SANFL level, he was stringing some really good games together.

"High numbers, high pressure, high contest and he's in for a big career."

AFL Club
Adelaide
Hi All

Xmas is over and that means the start of SC research!

Early crows rookie thoughts............

McHenry will be somewhere in the midfield of many teams this year either as a starter or a downgrade. I think he knows how to find the footy too but likely to have a limited ceiling given he plays a fwd role. He is certainly pencilled onto my mid bench at this early stage.

The real one to watch is Lachlan Sholl - he has a classic outside DT style half back game and he has put on serious size after a solid sanfl season in his first year. He may not play R1 but don't rule it out either. If he is named he could be a solid D5 or D6 that could push a 70 average.

Schoenberg has DT pig like junior numbers but likely he has to wait for a debut. If he played R1 it would be a huge surprise but if he did I think I would pick him based on his scoring ceiling. I think we can all hope he doesn't debut this year as he will be a lock for us in 2021.

The first round pick in McAsey could well debut but he will be too expensive to be interesting. There is plenty of talent in the crows rookies with Worrell, Butts, Hamill, Mcpehrson all adding defensive depth but they are unlikely to trouble the SC scorers too much in 2020.

Draftees Gollant and O'Çonnor will be nowhere near the seniors and Wilson at 190k is expensive and unlikely to be more than depth.

The senior fwd guys in Davis, McAdam, Crocker and Frampton are all rookie priced but likely limited ceilings so they don't excite me much. Frampton the one who could be worth considering if there is an injury to Reilly O'Brien as it is only him, Himmelberg and Strachan (rookie ruck/fwd) as back up.

Ben's Beasts

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Melbourne
Great work @Blaze, with your summary ?

I’ll have a stab at the Dees rookie priced players.

Mitch Hannan ($201,200 FWD) - Still in the rehab group after a heavily interrupted 2019 due to injury. Not likely to feature early in the season and probably won’t average enough for his price when he does play to be a consideration.

Luke Jackson ($198,300 RUC) - This kid could be anything but he is quite raw and while I think he will feature in 2020, I think it’s unlikely he plays round 1 or early on. Will probably start his career as a key forward and end up taking over as number 1 ruck when Max retires. There has even been talk that he may end up being a (very) tall midfielder.

Kade Chandler ($195,500 FWD) - Probably not going to feature early but did show a bit in his one senior game last season and is a tackling machine. Too expensive even if he does play as his role as a small pressuring forward doesn’t suit SC.

Tom Sparrow ($182,500 FWD) - Showed promise last season before being struck down with injury. The 2018 second round draft pick is likely to play some games in 2020. Will probably play as a forward and develop into a midfielder later in his career. Unlikely for round 1.

Kysaiah Pickett ($157,800 FWD) - The exciting small forward is exactly what the Dees lack and I feel as though there’s a spot for him in our round 1 side if he’s ready. Will he be ready though? I think it’s a 50/50 call at this stage. When he does play, he’s the sort of player that will usually have just 10-12 touches but score well in SC similar to how Cyril would score.

Austin Bradtke ($123,900 RUC) - Category B rookie developing ruckman who is very unlikely to get a game in 2020 but is developing nicely.

James Jordon ($123,900 MID) - Performed well in the VFL in 2019 as both a rebounding defender and an inside midfielder. I think he’s likely to get a game in the Seniors in 2020. I think it’s unlikely he will be in the frame for round 1 though.

Aaron Nietschke ($123,900 MID) - A second ACL injury in as many years means we won’t be seeing Nieta in 2020. As a show of faith the Dees extended his contract after he did the ACL for a second time.

Toby Bedford ($123,900 FWD) - He’s had a great pre-season so far but is still raw and unlikely to feature early in the season. Plays as a small forward so his SC scores probably won’t be high enough to warrant selection if he does get a chance at some stage.

Trent Rivers ($117,300 DEF/MID) - Was rapt that this guy slid to our pick 32. Will likely start his career as a rebounding defender and end up as a midfielder. Has a ready-made body for AFL footy so I think he will get games in 2020 and is a chance of lining up round 1 if he can continue to have a good pre-season and perform well in the JLT series. A good FDTP option if he doesn’t line up round 1.

Fwiw, at the moment I have just Rivers in my team of all the rookie priced Demons players.

AFL Club
Sydney
Terrific stuff Ben (if I may be so bold as to call you that).

I'd appreciated your comment on Kyle Dunkley ($207,700, M/F) Has had an extra 6 months in the system and has played 5 games. To me that means he is more advanced than a rookie. Talk was that he would have gone (late) second round in the recent draft.

Ben's Beasts

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Melbourne
Terrific stuff Ben (if I may be so bold as to call you that).

I'd appreciated your comment on Kyle Dunkley ($207,700, M/F) Has had an extra 6 months in the system and has played 5 games. To me that means he is more advanced than a rookie. Talk was that he would have gone (late) second round in the recent draft.
I think at this stage that Dunkley is a fair way down the pecking order. To me he was okay when he played last season but certainly didn’t command a spot in the team. It was obviously his first (half) year in the system though so we’ll find out more about him and whether he has what it takes this season. I think he will ply his trade in the VFL to begin with.

AFL Club
Sydney
I think at this stage that Dunkley is a fair way down the pecking order. To me he was okay when he played last season but certainly didn’t command a spot in the team. It was obviously his first (half) year in the system though so we’ll find out more about him and whether he has what it takes this season. I think he will ply his trade in the VFL to begin with.
Thank you , I appreciate your thoughts. I guess, to some extent, he was filling in for vandenBerg, who it would be nice to see have a clear run this year.

Ben's Beasts

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thank you , I appreciate your thoughts. I guess, to some extent, he was filling in for vandenBerg, who it would be nice to see have a clear run this year.
Yeah I agree with that. Vanders is now in full training and hopefully his foot problems are behind him. He was very important to the team when we made the prelim in 2018.

AFL Club
West Coast
@Lost In The Sky have you heard anything on how the race for the last spot on the Eagles list is going? Pickett doing anything special?
Haven't heard a lot but Isaya McKenzie has apparently impressed in his time at the club. Pickett from I've heard and seen is in terrible shape body wise... Has stacked on the kg's and not in a good way. Reckon he is a long shot to get the last spot.

AFL Club
West Coast
Haven't heard a lot but Isaya McKenzie has apparently impressed in his time at the club. Pickett from I've heard and seen is in terrible shape body wise... Has stacked on the kg's and not in a good way. Reckon he is a long shot to get the last spot.
I just read McKenzie has gone down with an ACL, who was the third person who was supposed to be fighting for that spot?

AFL Club
GWS Giants
Just sounds like every other Pickett that has played AFL :ROFLMAO:

AFL Club
West Coast
I just read McKenzie has gone down with an ACL, who was the third person who was supposed to be fighting for that spot?
Terrible news about McKenzie... Finally given a shot to make an AFL list and goes and does an ACL.

Pickett, Brady Grey, Isaya McKenzie and Nicolas Reid are the four guys who where going for that spot. Reid played for the Eagles reserves last season and is probably a long shot to make the main list. Not sure Grey is what the main list needs either though he's good playing for the WAFL Eagles.

If Pickett isn't in shape to make the list, maybe holding off until the mid-season draft is the best move.