Discussion Rookie Discussion

AFL Club
Collingwood
Who is he replacing? do we think he will play defence or maybe take Macrae's spot on the wing? speedy, endurance, doesn't impact aerial contests, uncontested player - sound the attributes for a wing role.
AFL.COM.AU ›

Dogs to unleash third debutant in four games
JUNE 23, 2020

LOUIS Butler will become the third Western Bulldogs player to debut in 2020.

The speedy defender was selected with pick No.53 in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft and joins Laitham Vandermeer and Ben Cavarra in getting their first call-ups this season.

The ex-Sandringham Dragons defender is classy with ball in hand and will provide the most value as a rebounding backman.

"We were just doing a game review, and it got to the end and Bevo started talking a bit about me and just said I was playing," Butler told the Bulldogs club website ahead of Thursday's clash against Sydney.

"It's something I'll probably never forget.

"It's a dream come true – I'm over the moon."

With Josh Dunkley set to miss at least six weeks, Toby McLean could shift from half-back to the midfield, opening up a spot for Butler.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
AFL.COM.AU ›

Dogs to unleash third debutant in four games
JUNE 23, 2020

LOUIS Butler will become the third Western Bulldogs player to debut in 2020.

The speedy defender was selected with pick No.53 in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft and joins Laitham Vandermeer and Ben Cavarra in getting their first call-ups this season.

The ex-Sandringham Dragons defender is classy with ball in hand and will provide the most value as a rebounding backman.

"We were just doing a game review, and it got to the end and Bevo started talking a bit about me and just said I was playing," Butler told the Bulldogs club website ahead of Thursday's clash against Sydney.

"It's something I'll probably never forget.

"It's a dream come true – I'm over the moon."

With Josh Dunkley set to miss at least six weeks, Toby McLean could shift from half-back to the midfield, opening up a spot for Butler.
Well that could be quite interesting for McLean.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Who is he replacing? do we think he will play defence or maybe take Macrae's spot on the wing? speedy, endurance, doesn't impact aerial contests, uncontested player - sound the attributes for a wing role.
Always though Hunter was their other winger so expect Macrae to stay wing until he comes back.

Not sure if Lipinski comes back as well , but they might just rotate mids and flankers as normal.

AFL Club
Bulldogs
Always though Hunter was their other winger so expect Macrae to stay wing until he comes back.

Not sure if Lipinski comes back as well , but they might just rotate mids and flankers as normal.
He also runs off half back as Magneto throws everyone about.

AFL Club
Collingwood
He also runs off half back as Magneto throws everyone about.
Amuses why Bevo is the only coach that gets paid out all the time, most teams probably play 1 ruck , 3 forwards & 3 defenders in the modern game , the rest are just following the ball like U9's

Actually thought having players capable of 2-3 positions was an advantage , makes a side less predictable.

Always remember Clarko having a different 4 at centre bounces for years and he is regarded as a master coach.

AFL Club
Bulldogs
Amuses why Bevo is the only coach that gets paid out all the time, most teams probably play 1 ruck , 3 forwards & 3 defenders in the modern game , the rest are just following the ball like U9's

Actually thought having players capable of 2-3 positions was an advantage , makes a side less predictable.

Always remember Clarko having a different 4 at centre bounces for years and he is regarded as a master coach.
Yeh it may pay off in years to come but some are really good at one role and shizenhousen at the other. It's hard to get consistency into a full team peformance. Half a dozen players is probably enough not the 12-14 he throws around.

AFL Club
Richmond
Yeh it may pay off in years to come but some are really good at one role and shizenhousen at the other. It's hard to get consistency into a full team peformance. Half a dozen players is probably enough not the 12-14 he throws around.
How is a young player supposed to settle into a position if he keeps getting moved about..

AFL Club
Bulldogs
How is a young player supposed to settle into a position if he keeps getting moved about..
Yeh for me even though Naughton might dominate one day as a forward I would rather them develop him as a defender and play Bruce,Schache/Young up forward. Ugle-Hagan might even come to the kennel as a development forward.

AFL Club
Collingwood
With all these D/Ms rookies, I wonder if Houston might end up being useful down the line.
Probably look to upgrade Starcevich & Rivers though.

EDIT

But who knows what the next lot of fixtures will look like so if their are Bye rounds they could be important in navigating them.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Geelong
Williamson vs. Hamill vs. Kossie Pickett ?

What order would you rank them? Aside from the higher priced Hill and maybe BZT, another other rookie DEFs on the cards for a debut/game over the coming few weeks to help with downgrades?
Weighing this up myself. Leaning towards Hamil believe it or not, Williamson scoring potential looks a little better but I feel like he's just forever injured. Crows fans seem genuinely excited about Hamil and he's 20k cheaper. Every penny counts this year.

AFL Club
Brisbane
Noticed that Sam Skinner ($111,400 FWD) has been tipped to come into the Brisbane Lions side this week for McStay in the ‘in the mix’ write up on the AFL website.

Any Lions fans think it will actually happen this week?
Sounds like pure speculation based on McStay having a quiet game and dropping a couple of marks to me. McStay being dropped is possible, but his role is more about making a contest than goal or possession numbers. If Skinner comes in it's more likely to be for Smith if he was just there to double team NicNat.