Review Round 1: Review

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought I would channel my inner @stevedwards and work out the maximum score practicably selectable for round 1. The reason I say practicably selectable is because I have worked on the assumption that most would have restricted their thinking to only consider the players that played in round 1 in their starting side with the exception of R3.

I believe the following to be it. Interesting that it included 2 FWD-MIDs on field in the midfield.

Note that I am a still learning this linear programming caper so I issue a challenge to all to see if they can spot any flaws in this side.

View attachment 16746
Could you pick all $102,400 players on the bench and get a few more points on field?

Nice team. Lots of mid priced players.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Could you pick all $102,400 players on the bench and get a few more points on field?

Nice team. Lots of mid priced players.
Certainly you could, but I wanted to determine a more realistic team than that. However I acknowledge that there are inclusions in this team that are probably not realistic considerations.

I am curious now so I will work it out.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Score: 2,188
Heroes: Grundy, Neale, Dusty, Naismith, Doch, Trac, Devon, Cripps, D.Fort
Villains: ROBERTON, Bont, Sicily, Brayshaw, Budarick over Taylor on field
Planned Trades: Just too early to know the INs but Roberton and McAsey likely the outs.

Comments: Not my worst start ever but hit a few bullets unfortunately to begin with which held me back. It was a very challenging season to put in a starting side with all the uncertainty and the last minute rule changes as well to make the games shorter. Very difficult to assess which players would "benefit" from the shorter games. Bont was a poor starting selection, he wasn't really in my side in the preseason but I ended up settling on him instead of Macrae thinking Bont might benefit (bad move in the end). I also brought in D.Fort at F5 thinking the rucks might benefit, especially after NAISMITH killed it (and ended up beating both Gawn and NN!). DFort scored well but thought he looked pretty ordinary live, fingers crossed he gets another game in June... However, I stuck fat with Trac over Ceglar being a bit worried by the difficult matchups v SMartin and Grundy early. Think Ceglar got a bit lucky with SMartin being out injured for most of the game after starting slow. Trac looked great, think he's primed for a breakout if we resume again this year. Roberton was a big bullet and am a bit embarassed how it turned out after being SO bullish on him all preseason. He didn't get the role I thought he would get (more lockdown than an intercepting rebounder) so he will be an easy trade out. I bet he will get a more intercepting role after I trade him out :ROFLMAO: . Originally had Oliver for most of the round but when I heard the rounds were suspended, I used the cash I was saving for a Pittonet trade in to move Oliver up to Neale, it was probably the best move I could've made all preseason as that extra 70 odd points made me feel so much better about my round.

Structurally, I got burnt trusting the HB in Budarick at F6 rather than just putting CTaylor there and Budarick on the bench. Traditionally, HBs score better than fwds and Budarick had the better Marsh series but rookies being rookies, I lost out on 35 points there and ended up with McAsey instead of M.King to facilitate it.... Naismith R2 looks like a winner, I was bullish on his scoring potential and was stoked when he smashed out a 120!

Unfortunate that the footy has been paused but with how serious the global situation is, it's 100% the right move. Hope everyone stays safe and feel for those who have suffered from the mass layoffs etc. Fingers crossed Australians can succeed to flatten the curve and we can resume in June.

AFL Club
North Melb.
So if you were prepared to select cheap doughnuts on all the benches the best that could have been achieved was only 13 points more. Surprising all the cash saved on the benches served to simply turn Naismith into Jacobs and left $80k extra in the bank.

Finally one further reference point is the total scored by the highest on-field scores in all positions (ie ignoring salary cap) and that number is 3281.

1585136232209.png

AFL Club
Melbourne
Score: 2,127
Heroes: Docherty, Neale, Grundy, Jacobs, Dusty, D Smith, Pickett
Villains: Roberton, Sicily, Green, TJ Lynch, A Brayshaw, Budarick (onfield over Taylor)
Planned Trades: Need to get Naismith in somehow, plan was Jacobs to Naismith, but old Sammy had other ideas, have the cash to go Cobden or Cavarra to Naismith, but not sure Naismith at R3 is the best result. Roberton, Lynch and Brayshaw probably get at least one more week when/if we return, but will wait and see.

Comments: Stuffed up my C loophole, realised as the ball was being bounced on Friday night that whilst the VC was on Grundy, I had also inadvertantly put the C on Macrae, and was about 5 seconds too late changng it. It is not the end of the world, but did cost 76 points, which probalbly would have resulted in a ranking around 10-12k, such is life.

Was going to go NN in the ruck at R2, but when Naismith went so well, I knew I would likely want to bring him in for Round 2 so went Jacobs as R2 and kept 130k to help in gettting Naismith in this week, as it turns out Jacobs went too well, lol. This now presents a different problem...

Given we have atleast 2 months to wait mimimum, plently of time to work it out :)

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Score: 2140
Heroes: D Hannebery, S Docherty, T Mitchell, P Cripps, B Grundy (C), S Naismith, C Petracca, J Macrae, J Kelly, M Pickett and D Smith
Villians: A Brayshaw, L Ryan, T Lynch, P Dangerfield and D Roberton
Planned Trades: Out: F McAsey, In: S Sturt

Comments: Pleasantly surprised and amused by Naismith’s performance as he managed to be the 2nd highest scorer (only 2 players above 120+) on my team and glad that there wasn’t a large differential between he and Jacobs as both spent large portions of the preseason in my side. Also, glad that I decided to start Hannebery and hopefully he can sustain a similar scoring level once the season resumes.

As for the quartet of A Brayshaw, L Ryan, T Lynch and D Roberton it’s disappointing they could only muster 199 points (Sturt and Townsend managed 199 costing $1 million less) but there is still sufficient time to compensate and T Lynch and one of the defs will likely depart very early (RD2/3).

Fort, Townsend and some rookie corrections will likely be the other trades in addition to the aforementioned McAsey to Sturt trade.