Analysis Round 16: Review

Ben's Beasts

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Melbourne
Score: 2,525
Heroes: Captain Grundy, Williams, Lloyd, Macrae, Coniglio, Oliver, Neale, Goldstein, Dangerfield, Heeney, Answerth
Villains: Fyfe, T Kelly, Worpel, J Cameron, M Parker
Trades Made: Gawn to Goldstein
Trades Planned: None
Comments: Really good week with some massive scores from premiums but it hurt to have to trade out my boy, The Beard, to avoid a donut. Needed some league wins so decided to pull the trigger on Gawn to Goldy. Hopefully the difference between their scores isn't too large from next round onwards. Score could have been even better had Boak played and therefore I wouldn't have had to field M Parker and his dismal score of 34. Answerth covered Cripps admirably with a score of 80. Down to just two trades now so hoping I can avoid injuries to my players between now and the end of the SC season.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Score: 2,606
Weekly Rank: 74
Overall Rank: 9,829 (from 18,275)
Heroes: Grundy (c), Neale, Coggs, Oliver, Sicily, Danger, Goldy, Lloyd, Williams, Marshall, Heeney, Macrae, Gray
Villains: Can’t single anyone out this week
Trades Made: Gawn to Grundy, Duursma to Chol
Trades Planned: Logue to any premo defender to complete side.
Comment: took a month off to regroup but ...
82655C50-6F4C-4E8D-A623-5EBB53783C6D.jpeg

AFL Club
Essendon
Score: 2,343
Weekly rank: 10,453
Overall Rank: 337 (from 314)
Heroes: Grundy (C), Z Williams, Sicily, Lloyd, Macrae, Oliver, Neale, Scott Lycett for a brave performance, Dunkley Danger and Heeney
Villains: Logue, Luke Ryan, Taranto, Fyfe, Sloane, Dylan Clarke, Tim Kelly, Boak's back
Trades Made: Oskar Baker to Cotrell & Daniel to Lycett
Trades Planned: Bewley to Kyle Dunkley & Duursma to Whitfield. Team finished with 3 trades left.
Comments: It was a week with very mixed performances, some guys playing amazing and some really stuffing about. Copped a donut from Boak and that ruined the advantage I thought I'd get from having Lycett in my side, if I had of known Boak was out I would have gone for Marshall over Lycett, but I'm still happy with Lycett anyway and appreciate the heart he showed. Hopefully he and Boak get up for next week.

Concerned with Taranto and Luke Ryan but they should be alright

Last edited:
AFL Club
Carlton
Score: 2,085
Weekly Rank: 68,449
Overall Rank: 34,829 (from 31,755)
Heroes: Danger, Bont, Grundy, Ziebell, Lloyd, JPK, Macrae, Williams, Jelly (c), Dunkley and Pendles, special mention to Answerth.
Villains: Gawn, Boak, Cripps, Hore, Fyfe, Telly.
Trades Made: Duursma and Gibbons to Chol and JPK.
Trades Planned: Jelly and Hore to Sloane and Sicily.
Comment: Well what a round full of high scores with the stars aligning for many, some with multiple donuts. My score is reflective of where my team is at, 3 upgrades required, after my planned trades. I was in this position the previous week. With every new injury to a premium it sets you back a week due to corrective trades. Still have rookies mooing albeit very slowly. Lesson learned for this year, need to pick just about any rookie early on the bubble to upgrade your team quicker and don't hold dead wood for 8 rounds ( Hoff ). With 7 trades left, I'm still in a great position to cover injuries and complete my team by round 23..lol Good luck to all and keep those high scores coming. I'll continue to spam you with tweets and hope in amongst them, you might find a couple useful that will assist your team selection or strategy.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Score: 2,272
Weekly Rank: 21,933
Heroes: Neale, Bont, Grundy (C), Dramafield, Marshall, Gray, Paddlebutt
Villains: Ryan, Fyfe, D.Clarke, Hately, Cameron
Trades Made: None left.
Comments: Better than I expected, I'll take that sort of score every week, especially with Cripps and Gawn missing. Second highest weekly score and third best weekly ranking for the season for me. I know a lot of people here smashed my score this round though - good on you to those that did!

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Score: 2,431
Heroes: Captain Grundy, Williams, Lloyd, Macrae, Oliver, Neale, Marshall, Dangerfield, Heeney, Sicily
Villains: J Cameron, Hately, ZClarke, Logue, Fyfe, Telly
Trades Made: Duursma to ZClarke
Comments: Reasonably happy with the week but again, feel like my team has some unfortunate holes and I’ve been able to edge upwards again only because of dodging carnage elsewhere (ie Boak late out). Still have that weekly headache of JCameron to deal with... ZClarke was also a pretty poor move all considered, might not make the cash I was hoping for (I wasn’t hoping for much) and Preuss looks so much better. Just the wrong call there. Might’ve been able to push to the really top end if I had made some better choices but can’t be too disappointed when sitting top 200! I’ll be very very happy if I can hang on to a top 500 finish. I think some better completed teams will finish strong but I can only just hope for the best from my ugly ducklings in BSmith, Brouch and Cameron. And also hope like hell ZClarke makes the $30k odd more I needed so I could afford Whitfield (Preuss already made the cash lol). I remember cursing Buddy at this point last season and he pumped out huge scores to finish - hoping JCameron can just score 85s to finish

AFL Club
Melbourne
Score: 2,341
Heroes: Grundy(c), Lloyd, Williams, Moore, Oliver, Neale, Goldy, Danger, Marshall
Villains: Fyfe, T Kelly, Mundy, Sloan, Ryan, Hore
Trades Made: Gawn to Goldstein
Trades Planned: Hore to Sic Dawg
Comments: Jumped to my highest rank of the year :rolleyes: and also won two important league matches (CL and Cashy) so not a bad week.

I was happy with the way I coached this week - swung Moore to the Fwd bench to cover a possible late out by Danger (instead of trying to maximise points on field in Def). Obviously didn't need this for Danger, but worked beautifully for the unexpected Boak late out. Then I decided to avoid the Gawn donut and brought Goldy in this morning once It was confirmed that he was out. Goldy repaid the faith with an impressive score and let me bank a handy $130k.

Apart from some villainous scores, the main disappointment this week was Hore's injury which probably robbed me of a chance to move into the top 10K . Can't help bad luck, but the cash I raised from the Gawn/Goldy trade now allows me to trade up to Sicily and still have some cash left over for a rainy day :D

AFL Club
Fremantle
Score: 2,588
Weekly Rank: 121
Heroes: Williams, Lloyd, Hurn, Sicily, Macrae, Coniglio, Oliver, Neale, Grundy, Goldstein, Danger, Marshall, Billings, Heeney
Villains: Merrett, Fyfe (C), Telly
Trades Made: Hore > Hurn, Joyce > Chol
Trades Planned: none
Comments: Grundy C over Fyfe (which was almost the case) would have put me in the top 20 for the week. The last 2 weeks has brought my ranking from 20k to less than 5k, and I've been top 150 for the round both weeks. A little bit of luck has gone my way with no Gawn, no Jelly, just traded Hore, and Chol adequate cover for a late Boak out. Really hoping I can ride this luck for the remainder of the year with only 2 trades and no cash left.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Score: 2,343 (top 5%)
Heroes: Grundy(c), Sicily, Lloyd, Hurn, Macrae, Jelly, Treloar, Oliver, Neale, Danger, Marshall, Dunkley
Villains: Fyfe, T Kelly, Mundy, Sloan, Ryan, Hore
Trades Made:
Brouch to Treloar for $100!
Trades Planned: Nil, not even if both Gawn and Zac Clarke don't play, think I'm back just to leagues, ladder pos is okay just.... 5 trades left 2 for Whitfield programmed in.

Comments:
Hore. Two weeks ago, I decided to keep you despite your high BE and projected cash lost... you lost more than I could have imagined. The only silver lining is you won't lose any more... sit there and wait until I can afford Whitfield in 2 trades...like I use to be able to do... bad dog, I mean that was unfortanute for you, no one likes seeing people get injurred.

If you don't have Sicily. Just get him in.

Interesting to see when Menegola comes back in... could be a poor mans Boak/Ziebell/Dunkley/Telly etc... With Greene as my ugly duckling I'm watching closely.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Score: 2,357
Heroes: Grundy, Williams, Lloyd, Macrae, Coniglio, Oliver, Neale, Dangerfield, Heeney
Villains: Fyfe, TKelly, JCameron, Rich, Ryan, Gunston
Trades Made: None
Trades Planned: ?? but these 7 trades are burning a hole in my pocket!

Comments:
Well, my ladder climb continues. Ummmed and ahhhhed about trading and ultimately didn't, cost me a few points but left me in better position I think. Got bench cover and plenty of trades. Still 7 rds to go, that is a bloody long way...

Fully expect next rd to have full carnage, too many 'maybe' injuries to popular players. Hopefully I can take advantage of that!

AFL Club
Melbourne
Score: 2,603
Heroes: Grundy, Coniglio, Oliver, Dangerfield, Heeney, Answerth, Marshall, Billings, Westhoff, Gawn
Villains: Hately
Trades Made: Larkey to Mundy
Trades Planned: Maybe Hateley into Hawkins or Menegola
Comments: Have not had much go right this season, so it was nice to jag a big score (80th) and avoid most of the bullets flying around. Had to commit early to Westhoff as emergency for Gawn, so was very pleased to hear that Gawn was a late out and Westhoff's 125 would not be wasted on the bench.

Only 4 trades left, and still have the following deficiencies:
- D6 Brodie Smith (missing Lloyd or Hurn)
- M8 rookie Hately or Clarke

Rather annoyed with Hately, he has not justified his price premium and is a good chance to get dropped by the Giants this week.

At this stage, think I'm resigned to missing Lloyd and keeping Smith at D6 for rest of season, and punting on a value buy in either Hawkins, Menegola or Toby McLean in exchange for Hately. Happy to hear thoughts. 219k in bank.

Score: 2,374
Weekly rank: 7088
Overall Rank: 18698 from 25k
Heroes: Grundy (C), Oliver, Neale, new recruit Shiel, Dangerfield, Billings, Heeney
Villains: Hore, Merrett, Brayshaw, Taranto, Scully, Acres, Greene
Trades Made: Curnow and Begley to Shiel and Chol (via Gray)
Trades Planned: Hore and Scully to Sicily and Wines maybe or something similar. Although if Whitfield is back I may do Hore down as Hore has been at D6 covering Whitfield, and I need the upgrade at M8 more... (Could also find a m/d and swing Weller to M8 if the mid options look worse than Sicily)
Comments: I've had Lycett since round 1, just for this eventuality, and was happy to be able to swing him to the ruck given the fears about Gawn. Seem to have lost a POD though, as plenty of other have jumped on. Happy with first gamer Shiel, and in hindsight it was lucky I took him over higher priced options given my need to conserve money because of injuries costing me >100k over the last 2 weeks.
Good week overall and got back some of the rankings lost in last week's disaster. Still have too many mid pricers on field, who were meant to have transitioned to bench spots by now, but if Gawn and Whitfield return next week I should only have 1 "dodgy" mid pricer left on field, and at least they'll be an upside mid pricer. Currently on 6 trades, but will be 4 after this week.

Score: 2453
Weekly: 2228
Overall: 8997 from 13136
Heroes: Sicily, Ziebell, Marshall, Heeney, Danger, Cogs, Answerth for getting his cash gen going again. Gold Coast for getting pumped again meaning Burgess will likely be an in at some stage soon.
Villains: None, really. Cameron and Ryan didn't score well but that was more a function of lack of chances and the poor weather, respectively.
Trades: None, have 5 left $207k bank
Planned: None
Comments: Was honestly disappointed Gawn didn't get up to play despite the fact I don't have him; if he did the swap between he and ROB is a lot easier given it would likely mean Gawn's base price and ROB's peak would have roughly coincided. Heeney again supplied superb cover in the midfield and the Swans have an excellent run in, a big reason I picked up Hewett a few rounds ago. I lack DEF and RUC cover so am sort of in a reactive mode now with only 5 trades left, however ideally I really need to get in another DEF premium given I have Andrews as D5 and Logue as D6. Like many here I'm ruing burnt/sunk cost trades from earlier in the season but oh well, it is what it is.

Last edited:
AFL Club
North Melb.
Score: 2441
Weekly Rank: 2695
Overall Rank: 34,897 from 43,094
Heroes: Cogs, Neale, Danger, Grundy, Sicily, Heeney, Marshall, Darling !!! (he is a hero to me every time he gets near a hundred, two in a row is just outstanding)
Villains: Whoever banged into Zach Merret :mad:
Trades Made: Gawn to Grundy, A Brayshaw to Neale
Comments: Given the scarcity of trades left, figured this was a week to try and make them count and jump up some ranks. Gawn to Grundy nets 20k and 145 points this week and Neale ended up outscoring Brayshaw by 70 odd points, so that was a good move. Time will if I should have saved them for better things but I'm not going to die wondering. Coming into R13 I was ranked 70k, and into R11 I was ranked 85k so it's certainly been a better few weeks after a miserable start to the year.
Josh Kelly as captain going off at 3QT after already clocking up the ton is frustrating but it's more important he recovers well to cash in on the Giant's very friendly last 4 matches.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Score: 2,340
Weekly rank: 10,841
Overall Rank: 1,006 (from 1,099)
Heroes: Grundy (C), Sicily, Oliver, Neale, Dangerfield, Marshall, Heeney
Villains: Hore, Gawn, Fyfe, Telly, Cameron
Trades Made: Duursma & Bewley to Sicily & Donut
Trades Planned: Hopefully none
Comments: Copped Gawn donut and Hore 3 but luckily had a bit more cover than others to avoid more carnage. I'll take my score for a week that could have been a disaster.

AFL Club
West Coast
Score: 2346
Weekly Rank: 10. 088
Overall Rank: 20, 125 (from 23, 759)
Heroes: Williams, Lloyd, Smith, Hurn, Macrae, J Kelly, Oliver (C), Neale, Bontempelli, Goldstein, Dangerfield, Heeney, Dunkley, Gray, Darling
Villains: Logue, Hately, T Kelly
Trades Made: Duursma to Chol and Bewley to J Kelly
Trades Planned: Got to upgrade Hore now; Sicily is the logical inclusion but I have to find the money somewhere.

Comments: My best score of the season for the second consecutive week puts me just outside the top 20k; after starting just over 60k overall it's been a long, slow climb up the rankings; I hope to end the season in the top 10k but I may run out of steam.

Injuries are beginning to take their toll with a Gawn doughnut, and Whitfield and Cripps both on the pine. Between them and Hore's injury I could easily have had 300ish more points with a fully fit and firing list.

I decided to forgo bringing ruck cover in for Gawn/trading Gawn for reasons of having low trades and not wanting to delay upgrades; it looked okay when Zac Clarke played but massive scores from Preuss and Westhoff skewed the balance away from me. I got on the wrong side of the Clarke into Hind/Hately loophole. I also tossed up between trading Hore, Smith and Duursma who occupied my D5-D7 positions, and ending up trading Duursma as I felt more comfortable with Hore and Smith on field for the season, despite Duursma's flexibility. Now Hore is a must trade and I lost $50k on the trade.

Injuries are a massive concern for me this week, with clouds above Whitfield, Cripps, Josh Kelly, Fyfe and Gawn.

One great thing I managed was nailing Clayton Oliver as my VC after he came from behind in my mind and tossing and turning over players like Fyfe, Bontempelli and Dangerfield. Oliver was the equal highest scoring player in SC this week and it made the difference between having and not having my highest score of the season.

Highly disappointed with Hately's output after gambling on his scoring versus his job security and needing him to fill in for Cripps.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Score: 2448
Weekly Rank: 2,405
Overall Rank:
Heroes: Sicily, Bontempelli, Oliver, Grundy (c), Westhoff, Dangerfield, Billings, Heeney
Villains: Ryan, Blakely, Merrett, the dreaded B0aknut
Trades Made:
Baker and Setterfield to K Dunkley and Westhoff
Comments: Good week short-term but bad long-term. Panicked at last minute (desperately stealing a few minutes in the toilet at son's 1st birthday party) and got Dunkley instead of Cameron. Needed that DPP but was afraid of Petrucelle lurking and just didn't think it through. Wouldn't have traded at all if I knew Boak wasn't playing. In the end it was the prospect of Gawn missing more than just this week that made me get Westhoff. We'll see how it all washes out. Cheering on SCSBestOfTheBest, which is holding onto #1 spot pretty well so far. Good luck all for the rocky road home.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Score: 2354
Weekly Rank: 9133
Overall Rank: 3194 (from 3733)
Heroes: J Westhoff, Danger, R Gray, I Heeney, B Grundy (C), J Lloyd, J Macrae, C Oliver, L Neale, Z Williams, S Hurn
Villains: M Hore, Z Merrett, T Kelly, N Fyfe, J Hately
Trades Made: Out: X Duursma, C Daniel, In: S Hurn, D Mundy
Trades Planned: Out: M Hore, J Sicily
Comments: Starting to rue my decision to trade Goldy to Gawn in Rd14 so hopefully Gawn makes a quick recovery and avoids an extended absence along with P Cripps returning and Kelly avoiding time off.

Happy with my inclusions of Hurn and Mundy and the Hoff’s return as well as my score considering Setterfield and Hately were replacing Cripps and Gawn along with Hore fielded. Will likely trade Hore to Sicily leaving me with 2 trades left and approx 100,000 so hopefully there isn’t too much carnage for the run home.

Score: 2345
Weekly Rank: 10,207
Overall Rank: 31,031 (from 35874)
Heroes: J Lloyd, Z Williams, Brodie Smith(!), J. Macrae (C), S. Coniglio, A. Treloar, J Westhoff, P. Dangerfield, J, Dunkley, I. Heeney, N, Larkey
Villains: R. Sloane, B. Crouch, A. Brayshaw, T. Kelly, J. Worpel
Trades Made: Out: S. Walsh, L. Baker. In: A. Treloar, J. Westhoff
Trades Planned: Out: R. O'Brien, J. Duursma. In: B. Grundy, J. Sicily.
Comments: My team has a pulse! Still no good for overall (might try to crack top 20k) but in the running in both leagues with a clear pathway to finals if I can avoid the injury imp.

Wowee did taking the plunge on the Hoff pay off or what? I see him as loop F6-7 and R cover but he saved my bacon this week.

Don't think I can go past Sicily this week but the Gawn / Grundy dilemma is an interesting one.

With 8 trades / 407k left and only Grundy, Whitfield/Hurn (sideways from Smith maybe), Menegola or similar for F8-9 loop / fwd cover and perhaps another F6-7 type to get I may just be able to pull off a relatively complete team with cover on all lines. Really need Worpel to take that next step up to a 95-100 avg over the remaining games though for it to pan out the way I want it to.

Not sure if I'm going with Grundy this week, go sideways from Gawn to Grundy (and pick up Gawn for ROB on the return swing), or hold off on the rucks for another week in case Grundy takes a bit of a beatdown at the CBA's from NicNat and Hickey?

Tamuhawk

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Score: 2,275
Weekly Rank: 21,333
Overall Rank: 2,231 (from 1,998)
Heroes: Captain Grundy, Williams, Lloyd, Macrae, Jelly, Oliver, Neale, Dangerfield,
Villains: Brouch, Sloane, Fyfe, Telly, Worpel, J Cameron, Logue & Boak.
Trades Made: Baker to Chol, Daniel to Lycett
Trades Planned: None... atm.

DEF: 8/10
Williams great again, Lloyd finally a decent score for what I paid. Sicily finaly worth that 560k I spent all those weeks ago. Finally a good score from Andrews. Brodie Smith with a his first decent score for over a month. Logue at D6 the past fornight is looking like trouble and I can't seem to do much about it for a few more weeks.

MID: 5/10
Oliver finally bumps his average to 110+ for the first time this year which is great. Neale with 2 weeks of huge scores. Macrae with a little hot streak of 4 weeks. Jelly with a calf injury is gonna hurt and I'll have to hold for awhile. Fyfe hasn't been as consistent as I thought he'd be over the last 3 weeks. Sloane with a down game. Brouch continues to be a disappointment and another soon to be added to my never again list. Playing Duursma over Clarke this week got me an extra few points.

RUC: 9/10
Grundy ever reliable as Captain. Hoping the 8 day break helps Lycett out... as I'll have to cop the donut if he is out and if Gawn is still out.

FWD: 2/10
Danger of course gets a huge score when I don't have the VC on him. Telly is the definition of a roller coaster since round 9 up until now. Worpel disappointing yet again. Jeremy Cameron already at the top of my never again list. The Boak donut was unavoidable. Picking Chol over Jarrad Cameron has somewhat stuffed up my team structure and not allowing me to do any the trades I like atm. Just hope Chol has at least 1 more game before Jroo comes back in so I can cash him in.

Comments:
Have had 3 terrible rounds in a row now and just can't seem to recover from it due to poor picks in Cameron and rookies occupying D6 & M8. Westhoff averaged 68 odd in my team for 2 months, gets dropped and traded out only for him to come back and score 125 is just a kick in the guts for me. If he didn't get dropped, my team would have been set up really well with coverage on all lines and I would have had plenty of trades left. I now have minimal coverage and trades to do much so am just gonna hold out on further trades and keep Logue at D6. Holding Jelly if it's not long and hoping Lycett is good to go.