Strategy Round 18: Trades

How many trades do you have left before making any at the start of round 18?

• 2 (I am a planning superstar)

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • 1 (This will come in handy to replace Docherty)

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • 0 (Welp)

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • 3+ (wait we can’t use 3 trades this week?)

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Essendon
Lukosius vs Hawks could also be worthwhile, he was turning everything over last week, giving away frees and 50’s, but still had 7 intercepts. Essendon and Hawks are conceding the most points besides Adelaide, who appear to have turned the corner.

I’ll be on Maynard / Lukosius watch tonight :geek:

AFL Club
Essendon
I thought the Pies only needed to win one out of two and then were guaranteed a spot? If they beat GC, I think they wouldn’t need to worry about the Port game (could rest players if they wanted to).
That’s right but not sure they’ll rest players given they’ll get a bye the following week. It’d be more likely if they didn’t just have a bye and a 7 day rest before Port. Still a risk to consider.

On that note would we all worry they rest Grundy ?

AFL Club
West Coast
That’s right but not sure they’ll rest players given they’ll get a bye the following week. It’d be more likely if they didn’t just have a bye and a 7 day rest before Port. Still a risk to consider.

Think the cost of losing the last game would be too great for the Pies. Last thing they will want is playing WCE in front of a home crowd. They will want to play a Vic team in a neutral venue. One week break to last game and they are coming off a break as you said.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Think the cost of losing the last game would be too great for the Pies. Last thing they will want is playing WCE in front of a home crowd. They will want to play a Vic team in a neutral venue. One week break to last game and they are coming off a break.
Would the final be in WA? Thought it was in QLD anyway.

Sorry there’s been so much debate on it I’m not sure where they landed

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon

Only if he was not 100%. He just had a bye!

AFL Club
West Coast
Would the final be in WA? Thought it was in QLD anyway.

Sorry there’s been so much debate on it I’m not sure where they landed
It is very like Eagles will finish 5th. With the bye, 14 day quarantine period is easily met is my understanding and likelihood of a WA final is reasonably good.

There would be a serious question marks if the Eagles finished 3/4th, then lost and was looking for a home final in 2nd week of finals.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
It is very like Eagles will finish 5th. With the bye, 14 day quarantine period is easily met is my understanding and likelihood of a WA final is reasonably good.

There would be a serious question marks if the Eagles finished 3/4th, then lost and was looking for a home final in 2nd week of finals.
Okay that makes sense! I guess the incoming team would also need to relocate rather quickly in the event of a WA final so that’s a consideration too (ie the Pies after their Monday game).

AFL Club
Essendon

I don't think that will happen unless they get an exemption from the WA government. A team isn't gonna go in to two weeks of quarantine in preparation for a final! They need to adopt the same rules as SA.

AFL Club
Fremantle
May sound a bit bizarre, but given there's only 1 round to go, I wonder if trading Doc is the best way to maximise points over sideways trading someone else given I have Rivers as cover.

I'm realistically going to have to get someone like Rich to replace him. I'd put Rich down for a 85-90. And given his precious few weeks and he fact Melbourne are playing Essendon would probably put Rivers down for a 75-80.

I feel like I can make up more than 10 points from trying to sideways Adams, Cripps, Shiel or Simpkin instead.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I've only got 1 trade left and $11k in the bank

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
May sound a bit bizarre, but given there's only 1 round to go, I wonder if trading Doc is the best way to maximise points over sideways trading someone else given I have Rivers as cover.

I'm realistically going to have to get someone like Rich to replace him. I'd put Rich down for a 85-90. And given his precious few weeks and he fact Melbourne are playing Essendon would probably put Rivers down for a 75-80.

I feel like I can make up more than 10 points from trying to sideways Adams, Cripps, Shiel or Simpkin instead.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I've only got 1 trade left and $11k in the bank
Rivers plays before Doc, so put him on the bench with the E. If you are happy with Rivers score, then keep Doc and look elsewhere to make your trade.

AFL Club
Essendon
Rivers plays before Doc, so put him on the bench with the E. If you are happy with Rivers score, then keep Doc and look elsewhere to make your trade.
I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect a premium score out of Rivers this round, even though it's possible, especially against the bombers. His last two weeks have been 107 SC: 76 DT & 82 SC: 50 DT, which isn't a ridiculous ratio but is inconsistent with his previous ratios. In both game he had 7 contested possessions, whereas his previous best was 4.

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect a premium score out of Rivers this round, even though it's possible, especially against the bombers. His last two weeks have been 107 SC: 76 DT & 82 SC: 50 DT, which isn't a ridiculous ratio but is inconsistent with his previous ratios. In both game he had 7 contested possessions, whereas his previous best was 4.
He's moved into much more of a genuine midfield role the last couple of weeks, hence the increase in CPs I'd have thought.

AFL Club
Richmond
2 left and docherty needs to go
Rookie downgrade means I can afford any defender, top defenders I don’t have are Luke Ryan and Rory Laird
Thoughts on which is the better option? Leaning towards Laird

2 left and docherty needs to go
Rookie downgrade means I can afford any defender, top defenders I don’t have are Luke Ryan and Rory Laird
Thoughts on which is the better option? Leaning towards Laird

Laird vs the Tigers for sure, they'll back their system in as usual and let Laird get a heap of touches. HIgh possesion mids score very well vs the Tigers

AFL Club
Carlton
First thoughts are Doc & Draper to May and ROB.
Would prefer Draper to Gawn but don't like any of the options then available for the Doc trade.
Now just to look and see if it's worth waiting until after the Melbourne game pending Rivers score, probably not as Greene would be the one I trade out and he plays earlier, Walters not great but coming off 115 not going to trade him.
Probably first trade named, first options are usually best.

AFL Club
Sydney
I'm leaning towards Doc out, Rivers to Def. Then loop Rivers and Watson score, and try to upgrade further forward.

e.g. Dusty to Macrae.

Having said that... Why has Luke Mcdonald's scoring gone skyward since R8?

Last edited: