Strategy Round 18: Trades

How many trades do you have left before making any at the start of round 18?

• 2 (I am a planning superstar)

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • 1 (This will come in handy to replace Docherty)

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • 0 (Welp)

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • 3+ (wait we can’t use 3 trades this week?)

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
First world problems but would be grateful for suggestions.

I have one potential luxury trade (provided no other carnage) after doing Doch to Daniel. Would have around 130k in bank.

Thinking about using it to do Parker to Oliver or Macrae. The early game of Oliver would mean I would have to do that luxury trade on Saturday without knowing what carnage might await when Sunday teams drop. Would it be the better move to avoid Oliver on that basis and do Parker to Macrae instead as I can make the trade later in the round on Sunday arvo?

I think Oliver could drop a 130-140+ pretty easily against the hapless Bombers (with the Dees also needing every ounce of % boost to be a top 8 chance) so would be disappointed to miss out. Macrae’s record is not as good v the Dockers but he is due for a better score.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd wait as long as possible, particulary when you can still get a quality player in Macrae. Who knows what carnage will occur - holding trades to deal with likely issues will likely save more points than your luxury trade will net.
Thanks mate, seems like a sensible approach. I’ve survived without Oliver for so long so I guess I’ll hope I can survive one more round and hope he doesn’t drop a 3rd 170+ type score!

AFL Club
North Melb.

I have one potential luxury trade (provided no other carnage) after doing Doch to Daniel. Would have around 130k in bank.

Thinking about using it to do Parker to Oliver or Macrae. The early game of Oliver would mean I would have to do that luxury trade on Saturday without knowing what carnage might await when Sunday teams drop. Would it be the better move to avoid Oliver on that basis and do Parker to Macrae instead as I can make the trade later in the round on Sunday arvo?

I think Oliver could drop a 130-140+ pretty easily against the hapless Bombers (with the Dees also needing every ounce of % boost to be a top 8 chance) so would be disappointed to miss out. Macrae’s record is not as good v the Dockers but he is due for a better score.
Last round luxury trades are fraught with danger I reckon. Quite easy for your trade out to outscore your trade in. Could you upgrade a fattened bench rookie to a cheap loophole option with a chance of going large?

AFL Club
Essendon
Thinking that in the rare case that Rivers goes 80+ I won’t trade Doc to Maynard and will instead trade Walters to Bailey Smith or potentially punt on Neale to Bont, thinking that Neale gets a hard tag from Curnow, that move could have a huge impact on my position in the ranks

AFL Club
Collingwood
no recall for Hosie

can look at Williams score as E for Docherty or just use Rivers (if named)

hopefully J Martin is recalled , if not relying on Close (suspect he gets dropped) or Foot as cover

so will need to trade Lynch with a Bank of $ 117,900.00

Acres $ 440,800.00
Son Son $ 422,600.00

or look who I found at $ 417,100.00

A farewell for the Little Master

AFL Club
Essendon

I know Essendon are an easy opponent but all things being equal I’m not sure Oliver is going to score more than Macrae. Macrae’s last 3 games vs Freo include a game where he was tagged by Banfield and a game during a period where he was being played wing / half-forward a lot by Bevo. His last game against them where he wasn’t tagged and just played inside mid he scored 153. Freo are strangely harder for mids to score against than you think and he is slightly out of form. Bont has seemingly taken his big scores.

If Rivers scores an 80+ as my E I’m in a similar position, but I don’t really have a weak mid (outside of Cripps who I can’t afford to trade up to a super premo anyway) and would be looking at doing Neale to Bont or Walters to Bailey Smith. Neale getting hard tagged gives that option a high ceiling for me, but it wouldn’t be my choice if I had a considerably worse midfielder

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know Essendon are an easy opponent but all things being equal I’m not sure Oliver is going to score more than Oliver. Macrae’s last 3 games vs Freo include a game where he was tagged by Banfield and a game during a period where he was being played wing / half-forward a lot by Bevo. His last game against them where he wasn’t tagged and just played inside mid he scored 153. Freo are strangely harder for mids to score against than you think and he is slightly out of form. Bont has seemingly taken his big scores.

If Rivers scores an 80+ as my E I’m in a similar position, but I don’t really have a weak mid (outside of Cripps who I can’t afford to trade up to a super premo anyway) and would be looking at doing Neale to Bont or Walters to Bailey Smith. Neale getting hard tagged gives that option a high ceiling for me, but it wouldn’t be my choice if I had a considerably worse midfielder
Fifty fifty I'd say.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I know Essendon are an easy opponent but all things being equal I’m not sure Oliver is going to score more than Macrae. Macrae’s last 3 games vs Freo include a game where he was tagged by Banfield and a game during a period where he was being played wing / half-forward a lot by Bevo. His last game against them where he wasn’t tagged and just played inside mid he scored 153. Freo are strangely harder for mids to score against than you think and he is slightly out of form. Bont has seemingly taken his big scores.

Thanks for your thoughts! That’s good colour on Macrae’s scoring v Freo and makes me a bit more comfortable getting him if I need to.

Neale out is an interesting one...! I have Parker v Geelong who’s probably a more obvious one to luxury trade. Didn’t consider Neale being a potential luxury out option.

I’m so sad that I traded BSmith during the byes. Have gone BSmith to JMartin to Wingard when I could’ve just traded a rookie for the 50k I needed for NN to Gawn (you may have had a similar experience with Stewart).

AFL Club
Essendon
Thanks for your thoughts! That’s good colour on Macrae’s scoring v Freo and makes me a bit more comfortable getting him if I need to.

Neale out is an interesting one...! I have Parker v Geelong who’s probably a more obvious one to luxury trade. Didn’t consider Neale being a potential luxury out option.

I’m so sad that I traded BSmith during the byes. Have gone BSmith to JMartin to Wingard when I could’ve just traded a rookie for the 50k I needed for NN to Gawn (you may have had a similar experience with Stewart).
Haha yep in relation to playing Freo in Round 6 in 2019 freako tweeted that he played 32% forward between rounds 5-8 . Explains the 85!

Trading out Neale is left field but I think it's pretty likely he gets the Curnow tag and that should keep him under 100, if not under 80. The risk is that he doesn't and goes over 140 or beyond. There's also a chance he beats the tag but I think that's unlikely given that Curnow is a very good tagger who beat Neale badly in the second half last time and the fact that Neale has shown a propensity to be get locked up by hard tags from good taggers. Bont is in 31 of the top 100, Neale in 89 of the top 100 sides. I think in your case Parker is the one to get rid of, Cats are hard to score against and it will likely be one of Parker's worser games. If it means being more cautious I don't mind waiting for teams and getting Macrae over Oliver.

I feel very confident Bailey Smith is a better pick this week than Walters (should score about 20 more), he's a pretty fun player to watch so I would miss him if I had owned him before. The safer option is to go for this trade, with Smith in 60 of the top 100 and Walters in 29 of the top 100. I'll most likely make up some points and stay with the top 100, but the move would be less likely to take me to top 50 (I'm about 60-65 points off). The Stewart Haynes trade has only worked because I would have traded out Rivers and Rivers saved me last week! Otherwise I would be down about 30-40 pts from it by now. Still I miss having Stewart because I rate him a lot and felt blessed to have got him so cheap.

It's a 1 game sample size and anything can happen so don't be upset if your move backfires!

This is all contingent on Rivers scoring about 75-80+, so I might be considering these options for no reason!

Last edited:
AFL Club
Essendon

That's unlucky with Martin, I considered trading him in but opted for Walters, was looking at them both because they had their byes already.

Didn't love either of them as options and should have gone for Hugh Greenwood who was the same price as Walters and who I felt a lot more confident picking. Lesson learnt not to let byes completely dictate which options you go for.

AFL Club
Sydney
Worthwhile going for Luke Ryan over say Luke McDonald for Doc, to allow me to see a bit more of the weekend's team news?!

Not looking forward to McD scoring 150...