Strategy Round 18: Trades

How many trades do you have left before making any at the start of round 18?

• 2 (I am a planning superstar)

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • 1 (This will come in handy to replace Docherty)

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • 0 (Welp)

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • 3+ (wait we can’t use 3 trades this week?)

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
AFL Club
St Kilda
Re Dawson I messed up something awful - thought Riccardi was playing and waited for the Carlton team to be named so missed Acres and brought in Dawson instead so ended up with a donut instead of 117 😢

AFL Club
Essendon
I’m $1k off Docherty to Daniel. Tossing up between Haynes, Maynard and Short. Going Haynes would block a number of my gf opponents which could be a smart move with Haynes’ ability to go big.

AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think that will happen unless they get an exemption from the WA government. A team isn't gonna go in to two weeks of quarantine in preparation for a final! They need to adopt the same rules as SA.
sounds like it is going to happen as mentioned. OK for 5th placed elimination, no good for other finals. quarantine will apply the entire time they are in WA, doesn't prohibit training.

The AFL has officially confirmed West Coast’s first week final will be played at Optus Stadium provided the Eagles finish fifth on the ladder, but the league has ruled-out any other games in WA.

On Sunday, the West Australian broke news that West Coast would be given the right to host a home elimination final if they finish fifth, their most likely end-of-season position.

Oscar Allen of the Eagles celebrates after scoring a goal during the round 17 AFL match between the St Kilda Saints and the West Coast Eagles. Credit: Bradley Kanaris/via AFL Photos
Yesterday evening issues were raised about quarantine periods for clubs entering WA but the Eagles have been given the green light to host week one, helped by the bye before finals.
However, WA government restrictions mean the Eagles won’t have the opportunity to return to Perth to host a potential semi or preliminary final regardless of ladder position compared to their prospective opponent.
“West Coast Eagles finishing 5th or 6th will play Week One finals in Western Australia,” an AFL statement read this morning.
“They, along with their opponent will be required to quarantine for a minimum of seven days in Western Australia leading into the match.
“Based on a 7-day quarantine period, a final is achievable in Week One given the bye weekend, but not in subsequent weeks.

“Under the quarantine requirement, both teams will only be allowed to leave their accommodation for training sessions and the match.
If Richmond (third) or Geelong (fourth) lose to Adelaide or Sydney respectively and the Eagles beat North Melbourne, Optus Stadium would be left vacant as a third/fourth place finish would see the WA side take on first or second on the ladder in either Queensland or Adelaide for a qualifying final.
Even if Collingwood (sixth) beat Port Adelaide, they can’t remove Eagles from fifth position.
The two elimination and qualifying finals will be held between Thursday, October first and Saturday, October third with the official week one fixtures set to be announced “following the conclusion of Round 18.”
AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan previously said the league would endeavour to allow West Coast to host a final at Optus Stadium in week one of the finals.
A bye between the end of the regular season — which for West Coast wraps up in a clash with North Melbourne on Thursday — means there is more than enough time for a visiting Eastern States side to complete the required week of quarantine in Perth ahead of the elimination final.
A logjam between sixth and tenth means St Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood, Melbourne and GWS all remain in contention for the last remaining finals spots.

AFL Club
West Coast
anyone looking Blicavs for a Docherty replacement, defender/ruck role looks tasty vs Swans.

Daniels looks good, Haynes could be anything (large or not) although don't like it when teams are playing poorly. McDonald should see plenty of the ball and May may see some of the ball.

Was Hayne impacted by the lack of I50 by Melb last week?

May be the concern for May this week playing Essendon. May has had two poor scores (not 1 as noted before), one against Freo in terrible rain and one against North who didn't have many I50.

just some thoughts.

AFL Club
Essendon
sounds like it is going to happen as mentioned. OK for 5th placed elimination, no good for other finals. quarantine will apply the entire time they are in WA, doesn't prohibit training.

The AFL has officially confirmed West Coast’s first week final will be played at Optus Stadium provided the Eagles finish fifth on the ladder, but the league has ruled-out any other games in WA.

On Sunday, the West Australian broke news that West Coast would be given the right to host a home elimination final if they finish fifth, their most likely end-of-season position.

Oscar Allen of the Eagles celebrates after scoring a goal during the round 17 AFL match between the St Kilda Saints and the West Coast Eagles. Credit: Bradley Kanaris/via AFL Photos
Yesterday evening issues were raised about quarantine periods for clubs entering WA but the Eagles have been given the green light to host week one, helped by the bye before finals.
However, WA government restrictions mean the Eagles won’t have the opportunity to return to Perth to host a potential semi or preliminary final regardless of ladder position compared to their prospective opponent.
“West Coast Eagles finishing 5th or 6th will play Week One finals in Western Australia,” an AFL statement read this morning.
“They, along with their opponent will be required to quarantine for a minimum of seven days in Western Australia leading into the match.
“Based on a 7-day quarantine period, a final is achievable in Week One given the bye weekend, but not in subsequent weeks.

“Under the quarantine requirement, both teams will only be allowed to leave their accommodation for training sessions and the match.
If Richmond (third) or Geelong (fourth) lose to Adelaide or Sydney respectively and the Eagles beat North Melbourne, Optus Stadium would be left vacant as a third/fourth place finish would see the WA side take on first or second on the ladder in either Queensland or Adelaide for a qualifying final.
Even if Collingwood (sixth) beat Port Adelaide, they can’t remove Eagles from fifth position.
The two elimination and qualifying finals will be held between Thursday, October first and Saturday, October third with the official week one fixtures set to be announced “following the conclusion of Round 18.”
AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan previously said the league would endeavour to allow West Coast to host a final at Optus Stadium in week one of the finals.
A bye between the end of the regular season — which for West Coast wraps up in a clash with North Melbourne on Thursday — means there is more than enough time for a visiting Eastern States side to complete the required week of quarantine in Perth ahead of the elimination final.
A logjam between sixth and tenth means St Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood, Melbourne and GWS all remain in contention for the last remaining finals spots.
Right that makes sense because it’s a 7 day quarantine, I just couldn’t see how a 14 day one would work

AFL Club
Melbourne
Any inputs? He's averaging 30pts higher this season than the last 2 years...
No expert, but initially I think he took on more of a tagging role, but don't really watch enough NTH games to have any specific knowledge.

AFL Club
West Coast
Found this article which helps explains his year :-

Luke McDonald says a broken ankle was the catalyst for a ‘light bulb moment’, which has helped him to a career-best season.

McDonald's form has seen him to average 20 disposals and to successfully shutdown some of the game’s superstars this year.

“It’s been a good year personally in terms of my form just to play some of the footy that I sort of always knew I’m capable of playing,” McDonald told Sportsday WA.

“The catalyst was on the back of last year, I broke my ankle in Round 18.

“I was six years in to my career and hadn’t achieved anything I personally wanted to achieve, it was a bit of a lightbulb moment.

“I worked really hard to get back into as good a nick as I possibly could because I couldn’t really train until after Christmas and to be honest, that time between Round 1 and 2 with that COVID break, was awesome for me.

“I trained really hard with my roommate and it’s been good just to string a few games together and play a number of different roles.

“I’m feeling really confident in my footy at the moment and I suppose it’s been good to just to reward some of the guys who had faith in my over the journey and play some good footy.”

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No expert, but initially I think he took on more of a tagging role, but don't really watch enough NTH games to have any specific knowledge.
Put simply, he's become NTHs Jake Lloyd. His rise is incredible. And helps that he takes almost all kickouts and walks out of the square. Hahaha.