Strategy Round 19: Trades

river

Draftee
Do you have 2 trades left?

If so, trade one of the three players out, swing the other two players where you want them using the empty position, then trade in another player to the empty position. With your second trade, trade the player you traded in to the player you traded out. You will be back to two trades available and the players will be where you want them.
Thanks. I only had one trade left but was able to do it by trading Macrae for Macrae. Had to close the info box on Macrae to expose the complete trade button

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Surprised at how popular Bolton is... I don't see it?
A combination of a reasonable scoring history, price, lack of trades and as an added bonus he should play late in the round allowing maximum time before trading Dusty out.

I have 3 trades left and in an ordinary year I might make 2 trades and get in Hall and a decent rookie but with the complications due to COVID a single trade seems the right move.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Got dusty and 20k, problem is I already have Bolton, Hawkins, and Heeney. Who's next?
you could consider:
Tarryn Thomas 3 round ave 96 ($432k)
Nick Blakey 3 round ave 83 ( $307k) new role half back

or you could go Buddy with 3 tonnes in his past 4 games

Lance Franklin 4 round average 97.5 ($451k)

Remember they only need to get you through 5 rounds…

AFL Club
Essendon
McDonald, Thomas, Franklin

Thomas has a 3 round ave of around 96, the other two tend to be fairly volatile.
Thomas definitely on the radar for me. Have 450,300 to spend so limited choices. Kennedy from Carlton a potential alternative. 55 games, 3/5 rnd avg of 94 has a decent cieling. Risky but more upside than Thomas I think.

AFL Club
Sydney
Geez that Sydney run looks alright.

Heeney... again...

:eek:

(don't do it!!! Or maybe do, do it)
FWIW he played wing for the 2nd half and a bit and was one of the biggest reasons for the entire game flipping. Of course Horse is still the coach so expect he rots at FF again next week entirely reliant on beating the elite of the elite mid sized defenders to be able to do anything instead of having a serious mismatch with 99% of the wingers in the league aerially and actually impacting games...

Ryan, Ridley and Wilkie in the next 3 would be a nightmare if he plays forward but he'd be great on the wing against all those teams.

Just really hard to trust Horse, he has always hated loading up the midfield and would much rather lose in that area and play from behind than win it and play in our forward half.

I'll never understand coaches who play their elite goal kicking midfielders as forwards and make it so much harder. Look at Bont this year, who will almost certainly kick a career high playing the least forward time of his career or Petracca who has done similar the last two years playing predominantly midfield instead of forward. The difference between pushing forward on a midfielder, often unmarked and being picked up by the swinging defender and getting the opposition's top defender is a huge difference. Even Dusty, who is almost unquestionably the best at it, has seen his goals reduce significantly over the past 3 years as he has played less and less midfield and more and more forward. It's not a coincidence. Quite simply all these guys are going to beat other midfielders 9/10 times in one on one contests after pushing forward, they might win 40% on a good day against the Grimes, Rampe, Ryan, Ridley, Stewart and co types that teams have.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Richmond
Think I'll go Dusty > Thomas, was looking at Kennedy and his scores are up n down like a brides nightie. Thomas might be affected with Cunners back, Kennedy might be affected with Cripps back................seriously tempted by Bolton too, just cant trust the Tigers players scoring plus Edwards and Prestia due back?