Strategy Round 19: Trades

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I perhaps dismissed Hawkins a bit too easily earlier but he does have the better history to Bolton. Hawkins v Bolton…? Game against Nth coming up for Hawkins
Word of warning, I am considering using my last trade on Hawkins or Thomas, both of whom I own in SCSUL. Given my track record (since the inception) with M Walters (RD17 2020), E Yeo (RD6 2020), L Neale (RD1 and RD15 2021) and A Witherden (RD16 2021), I would proceed with caution. :LOL:

Would you like me to pick Bolton instead?

AFL Club
Melbourne
Word of warning, I am considering using my last trade on Hawkins or Thomas, both of whom I own in SCSUL. Given my track record (since the inception) with M Walters (RD17 2020), E Yeo (RD6 2020), L Neale (RD1 and RD15 2021) and A Witherden (RD16 2021), I would proceed with caution.

Yes please 😉

AFL Club
Essendon
I perhaps dismissed Hawkins a bit too easily earlier but he does have the better history to Bolton. Hawkins v Bolton…? Game against Nth coming up for Hawkins
Hawkins actually has surprising bad scores against his last few opponents when he played them earlier in the year.
Rich - 149
North - 79
GWS - hasn't played yet
Saints - 91
Melb - 55

I think the Richmond backline will do better against him this time around, especially if there is no Cameron or Rohan. Saints score feels about right and given the way Melbourne's backline operates I can see him going under 70 points vs them. GWS slightly unknown but I'd see him in that 90-100 range vs them.

Bolton had a great run of 100-120 point games and then had a dip a few weeks ago when he was reported going for some additional scans. Wouldn't surprise me at all to know he had some issues (possibly with the wrist again) that saw him struggle but he seems back to form and fitness. With Dusty out Bolton will be a starting mid, and in that role he can drift forward and score goals. After Geelong this week he has Freo, North, GWS, and the Hawks - amazingly he's only played 2 of them this season (Hawks 88 and Geel 108) so less exposed form, however my view is a first rotation mid that plays like him should match up quite well against most of those midfields.

Personally I see Hawkins as averaging 90-100 from here (with probably 1 spike score in there somewhere), and have Bolton averaging 100-110 with a pretty low standard deviation.

If you're thinking of a potential league GF, definitely Bolton as Hawkins will likely have a mare vs the Dees in the last round!

AFL Club
Essendon
Word of warning, I am considering using my last trade on Hawkins or Thomas, both of whom I own in SCSUL. Given my track record (since the inception) with M Walters (RD17 2020), E Yeo (RD6 2020), L Neale (RD1 and RD15 2021) and A Witherden (RD16 2021), I would proceed with caution. :LOL:

Thats a good idea 😉
There is something about Bolton I don't like and you need to enjoy watching your players on the field so it will be a Hawkins trade in for me.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon

Something more to keep in mind! Perhaps pick the one I don’t pick :p

Hawkins actually has surprising bad scores against his last few opponents when he played them earlier in the year.
Rich - 149
North - 79
GWS - hasn't played yet
Saints - 91
Melb - 55

I think the Richmond backline will do better against him this time around, especially if there is no Cameron or Rohan. Saints score feels about right and given the way Melbourne's backline operates I can see him going under 70 points vs them. GWS slightly unknown but I'd see him in that 90-100 range vs them.

Bolton had a great run of 100-120 point games and then had a dip a few weeks ago when he was reported going for some additional scans. Wouldn't surprise me at all to know he had some issues (possibly with the wrist again) that saw him struggle but he seems back to form and fitness. With Dusty out Bolton will be a starting mid, and in that role he can drift forward and score goals. After Geelong this week he has Freo, North, GWS, and the Hawks - amazingly he's only played 2 of them this season (Hawks 88 and Geel 108) so less exposed form, however my view is a first rotation mid that plays like him should match up quite well against most of those midfields.

Personally I see Hawkins as averaging 90-100 from here (with probably 1 spike score in there somewhere), and have Bolton averaging 100-110 with a pretty low standard deviation.

If you're thinking of a potential league GF, definitely Bolton as Hawkins will likely have a mare vs the Dees in the last round!
This is very helpful, thanks for that!

I was thinking maybe similar for Bolton too. Initially just thought he was the obvious pick given mid role but was wondering if I had dismissed Hawkins a bit too easily. Might just stick with the initial gut reaction and jump on Bolton but let’s see where I land!

AFL Club
Melbourne
I like the Hawkins trade in. He can produce big scores especially this time of year as the Cats head towards September. But having said that, Bolton will get time in the middle now that Dusty is done. I haven't made up my mind either.

AFL Club
Essendon
Something more to keep in mind! Perhaps pick the one I don’t pick :p

This is very helpful, thanks for that!

I was thinking maybe similar for Bolton too. Initially just thought he was the obvious pick given mid role but was wondering if I had dismissed Hawkins a bit too easily. Might just stick with the initial gut reaction and jump on Bolton but let’s see where I land!
My #1 rule for SC is if I'm not sure, back my initial gut feel. I'm not always right, but it burns a lot less if you backed yourself and got it wrong vs the other way around!

One more thought on Bolton, I reckon Hardwick will pull him aside and say "you want the big contracts? this is the moment you step up and earn them", so can see Bolton being fired up to prove he can deliver without the big guns around him in the midfield.

Watch Hawkins come out and kick 10 this week now.. haha!

AFL Club
Richmond
Thinking of bringing D Rioli in for Dusty after his move to the backline looks to be settling in nicely. Could then Trade Highmore > Adams via Laird and Bench Harmes as cover.
Or Dusty > Rioli & Harmes > Petracca relying on L Jones as cover.

Only have 2 trades left and could just do the 1 trade Dusty > Thomas/Butters/Bolton

AFL Club
Carlton
Also plays Richmond this week who have an injury depleted backline, scored 149 last time against them. I think I might go to him over Bolton just because of his ceiling.