Strategy Round 2: Trades

How many trades do you plan to use in round 2?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.5%

Votes: 4 18.2%

Votes: 2 9.1%

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Collingwood
Doedee back could affect McAsey
Treloar back (?) could affect Brown
Ambrose back could affect BZT
Freo have 4-10 due back
Ward & Williams could affect Green
Dixon & Lycett could affect Georgiades
Franklin back

just off the top of my head , no doubt their are others who missed Round 1

AFL Club
Collingwood
Tracking well, very unlikely to be risked for the Round 2 restart, but not that far away.

I really hope he can get a decent go at it as a Demon, absolutely loved watching him at his best as a Sun. The bloke has serious talent, can kick 5 and have 20.
Cheers for that.

Same hope he gets it all together , one very seriously talented footballer.

lappinitup

2006 AFL SuperCoach Winner
AFL Club
Carlton
Weren't you one of the top scorers here in Rd 1? If you are looking at making 7 trades, I can see why others want unlimited.
Did well, plenty on here above me though!

I could make 7-10 trades, even after doing well. I do not think that is fair though.

2-4 is fair, 4-6 good compromise for me.

Plenty with self interest will vote 8 plus as they struggled.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Freo have 4-10 due back
Franklin back

BZT will be out for sure.

lappinitup

2006 AFL SuperCoach Winner
AFL Club
Carlton
Freo have 4-10 due back
Franklin back

Doedee was available round 1 and due to play SANFL that weekend. He is purely match fitness away from selection, the break has not changed this scenario one bit. I suspect he would have played round 2 anyway after his one hit out in SANFL. Potentially now without that one hitout he is further away? Regardless, he was available Round 2 so the extension in time hasn't hurt McAsey. No extra trade granted.

Treloar was 50/50 for round 1, likely to play round 2 according to pies. So no impact of Covid-19, at best delays a 1 week selection headache on Browne if he was to make way. No extra trade granted

Ambrose - well played, perfect example. 4-6 week injury, when you drafted BZT like me you expected him to get 4-6 weeks minimum with half reasonable form. Now due to covid, he is competing with Ambrose. TICK - have an extra trade.

Freo - most were due back round 2, or are still long term now. However, happy to give 1 extra trade here.

Williams was a lock round 2 from memory. Ward a good example. TICK

Dixon and Lycett were both tests round 1, due to play round 2. Covid zero impact on that selection

Franklin back is effecting which rookie? Yes you may want him, but that was always a trade you would make in the week he is back. So again COVID hasn't altered the trade requirements. If anything, it is giving you a free hit at getting him in now.

So in all those examples, maybe 3 extra trades if all your rookies are the direct casualty of the returning player mentioned.

How many people started with BZT, Green and Georgiades. Even if a few, lets grant 3 extra trades due to covid selection changes.

5 trades round 2.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Yeah I’m not so sure about unlimited trades either even if subtracted. You could make 10-12 and still be fine given the shorter season. A cap of 5 would be better.
What about the scenario where we have unlimited but they are deducted from our overall amount, but the overall amount is dropped back to 20, like the good ol days?

AFL Club
Adelaide
So, say we have 5 trades round 2. Who are we desperate to trade out and in?
I have Gawn and Grundy, but reluctant to trade out Gawn as I assume he is now 100% fit and could pump big scores. But cash gen with Naismith, Jacobs etc, could be the correct way to go.
Sturt comes in, possibly Cavarra out. Roberton and Mcasey out, somehow get Howe in. Have Dunks and Bont, could trade for cheaper options to free up cash, but can see them bouncing back too.

AFL Club
North Melb.
I like the 5 trade idea. It seems a good balance between totally re-shuffling your side and suffering no ill consequences of poor rd 1 selections, while catering for rookies getting dropped with veterans returning. Any typical year this would be a round where no trades are usually made unless you are missing 3 key rookies and cant get them in just before rd 3. Obviously with 2 rounds before price movements instead of 3, rd 2 becomes the new rd 3 so 2 trades is essential. Having 3 more for rookie corrections seems appropriate. Will remain to be seen whether it is adequate to cover all the ones that miss from the best 22 now that there are fewer injured players. But with only 5 trades it will give most coaches an ultimatum of choosing whether to drop Gawn to Naismith - Jacobs for example or trade a dropped Greene/BZT to a now playing rookie. With unlimited trades you totally rid coaches of having to choose between options which takes away nearly all the skill in my opinion. I'd love to consider getting rid of guys like Houston and Sic based off what i saw in rd 1, but any other year it's totally ridiculous to do so after 1 round of data and i dont see why this year should be different.

Edit: With 30 trades at practically 2 per week, 5 seems quite adequate to avoid non playing rookies. You can just use 2 trades for a few weeks in the subsequent rounds if need be. It's not like you can use these trades for downgrades just yet as rookies wouldn't have gone up much. So come to think of it you're basically getting 5 trades upfront plus lets says 2 weeks of 2 trades a week before rookies are worth starting to downgrade to generate cash. So 9 correction trades all up which probably leaves room to adjust a few rd 1 premiums.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Great to see the flow of ideas and views. Also great to see the Word Association game, Occupy your Minds, and Tandem Story Game threads getting pushed down the running order regularly.

Whilst we are focussing the discussion on number of trades permitted for round 2, I think it is just as important as to whether they count towards your total for the year.

I am firmly in the camp that we count scores for round 1 but beyond that reset totally for round 2. I hear the arguments about rewarding those that backed the right horses in round 1 however I just think the risk of destroying a whole SuperCoach year for loyal participants through a set of circumstances that nobody could predict Is too great. The reality is you can’t judge who picked a great starting team after just 1 round so I don’t see removing that advantage as any huge issue given it may not have even existed if things had been allowed to run their course.

However in the interests of compromise if the trades for round 2 are to be limited then I would suggest selecting a number (say 4 to 6) and you either use them or lose them. That way teams who are significantly affected by round 2 selection issues can address at least some of them without falling behind the luckier ones who can otherwise use those extra trades to their advantage later in the year.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah that would be better than unlimited deducted from 30 but I’d probably prefer 5 max and keep 30.
I think this is about where I sit on it after a bit more thought. I quite like the idea of keeping round 1 scores and resetting the teams but I don’t think that’s viable as, again, it gives the teams that really screwed up their round 1 sides a free whack at fixing them.

I also wouldn’t mind them holding off on the trade free for all until after the first round of price changes if that’s the way they want to go, you can burn some trades but it’s going to cost you more than just the flat trade value.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Great to see the flow of ideas and views. Also great to see the Word Association game, Occupy your Minds, and Tandem Story Game threads getting pushed down the running order regularly.

Whilst we are focussing the discussion on number of trades permitted for round 2, I think it is just as important as to whether they count towards your total for the year.

I am firmly in the camp that we count scores for round 1 but beyond that reset totally for round 2. I hear the arguments about rewarding those that backed the right horses in round 1 however I just think the risk of destroying a whole SuperCoach year for loyal participants through a set of circumstances that nobody could predict Is too great. The reality is you can’t judge who picked a great starting team after just 1 round so I don’t see removing that advantage as any huge issue given it may not have even existed if things had been allowed to run their course.

However in the interests of compromise if the trades for round 2 are to be limited then I would suggest selecting a number (say 4 to 6) and you either use them or lose them. That way teams who are significantly affected by round 2 selection issues can address at least some of them without falling behind the luckier ones who can otherwise use those extra trades to their advantage later in the year.
RE: .......Great to see the flow of ideas and views..........I am firmly in the camp that we count scores for round 1 but beyond that reset totally for round 2........
I totally agree.
My Rd1 team players were selected on a strategy for a whole season that ended after Rd1.
Rd2 is the start of a new season, and a different AFL game, that will require a new strategy.
Time is limited before we know all the information about what is going to happen before Rd2 starts.
So we don't need the extra work planning for a strategy that will require to play a new SC season that we never have played before and
a strategy that will need to plan, in the early rounds, to trade out the players that don't fit into the new strategy.