Strategy Round 2: Trades

How many trades do you plan to use in round 2?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.5%

Votes: 4 18.2%

Votes: 2 9.1%

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting reading the first intentions of many people here.
Let's assume it is 5+ trades deducted from 30, or even unlimited trades, deducted from 30.
I think people's knee jerk reaction on "fixing" this player or that is has been way over the top!
It's been one game people!
The first 25 odd people put in your team were most likely put in with great thought and planning, and the rest put in with hope and fingers crossed.
Are you prepared to say you were totally wrong on the back of one game's evidence?
I would say this particularly with the Rookies you always planned to have, not the hopeful ones. History has shown us that sacking Rookies on one, or even two, games evidence can be completely regretable.
Remember in 2015 how many people traded Cripps out after he started 53, DNP? He had played 3 games the season before for 74 (81%TOG), 21 (53%), 23 (18%). On the back of that, he looked a pretty reasonable prospect, having averaged 40 (50%). He cost $211,000, but had a decent pre-season.
Cripps next 4 games from round 3 in 2015 went: 89, 172, 86, 104 and his price was sitting at $431,000. Close to Rookie of the season by Round 7, and SO many people traded him out coming into round 2!

Don't knee jerk, and think short term! Yes, it looks like we will have "plenty" of trades right now, but short term fixes can be regrettable now, for quick form reversals, and later, because you ran out of trades so quickly later.
Some are saying the unlimited trades deducted from 30 is unfair to those that got their team right. First, they got their round 1 team right, by round 4 that team might look more regretable than what you are thinking now, after round 1. Secondly, even if it looks good at round 4, those Coaches still have a huge advantage over those that spent a lot of trades fixing their round 1 team, in that they might have has as many as 7-10 extra trades up their sleeves over those other Coaches. How is that not an advantage? Totally fair in my eyes.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I honestly thought this season wouldn't resume at all and picked my R1 team mainly based on 2-3 rounds max being played. I chose lots of speculative picks and a few that showed some form in the pre-season - more mid priced that traditional guns and rookies. I was pleasantly surprised to even get 2100 in R1, as a few did let me down that I didn't expect to (such as Bont, Sic and McPherson), it could have potentially been a 2200+ score if they all fired too.

It won't be easy to be able to get a full premium side from my starting team in a shortened season, but I didn't expect to even get close to 17 rounds being played this year, so tried something different with my starting side. More trades early on will possibly help a bit to get rid of the R1 duds (cash gen will be critical this season), but I'll make do with whatever we end up with.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Once I decided to take a punt on Naismith at R2 my side changed drastically

Fyfe , Greene , Heeney , Jelly , Sloane all came in and Riewoldt for a bit of fun.

Regardless of what the trade situation ends up being , my focus will be correcting some rookies and hopefully not too many of them are dropped for Round 2.

Hopefully 16 more rounds to get it right.

In the end it is what it is and if we are not happy with the trade outcome just accept it or don't play.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sounds like the Showdown will be a goer for Round 2 (or 7 is just getting excited)

Umpires to go into the 14 day isolation period , broadcast team can FIFO under conditions.

Now will the Govt lift the restrictions in all the bars , clubs and restaurants for just one day/night 😀

AFL Club
Bulldogs
For me i would like to see 25 trades. 5 Maximum trades for rd2 leaving u with potentially 20 by end of rd2 if u used them up.

AFL Club
West Coast
Big question for me is whether trade two is Mitch Georgiades. Missed him and liked his first 4 games, new fixture may change this.

Made a late change of Neale to Bont (to give cash for Brodie Smith who looked injured part way into game) which is the alternative trade two.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Big question for me is whether trade two is Mitch Georgiades. Missed him and liked his first 4 games, new fixture may change this.

Made a late change of Neale to Bont (to give cash for Brodie Smith who looked injured part way into game) which is the alternative trade two.
Might lose his spot anyway if Dixon returns.