Strategy Round 2: Trades

How many trades do you plan to use in round 2?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 2.7%

Votes: 8 10.8%

Votes: 15 20.3%

Votes: 49 66.2%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Bulldogs
On Sturt, Fyfe said that they were going to play him deep and use his speed, or something to that effect ... doesn't sound like that good a role to me?

I know he's just scored well, but he kicked 3.0.
Longmuir sees him as Jayden Stephenson mould coming from the pies. Trading him in is more for his 100 score to make his cash generation higher even if he has 2 x 30 games will still be an avg of 53.3 at end of rd3. If this is correct can be a rough example. If Sturt gets a 30 in rd2+3 he will rise more than that example projection for a rookie priced at that avg of 50 meaning Sturt would b at 65 avg after 2 and 53 avg after 3.

Last edited:
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes I’m seeing here that the 100 is a real magnet. Parker got two 80s to start last year did hardly got near it after that.

Lots of trades to burn this season though.
The question though is not if to use a trade, it is who to. As in, Sturt having Hawks Melb GC vs Georgie who has Adel North WCE. Maybe, why not both?

By round 6 last year I had used 2 trades, this year I need to have used 8! Given we will be chopping and changing a lot, it does mean though less trades to get to full maturity side.

Calculating values, if Sturt now goes 50, 60, 75 then he makes $140k and Georgiades if he goes 65, 65, 40 makes $124k.

Last edited:
Zac Guthrie > Sturt, via Brander.

Tempted to try to rope an extra ruck in somewhere but all my premiums and midpricers are holding up ok except for Bont, who does this from time to time.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
Sticking fat with Brayshaw, he had minimal game time in a Freo side that only turned up at 3/4tr time, so I expect better next week. He also played in the middle which is what I wanted to see, so I reckon he’s a hold (for now). DRobertson to Sturt/Georgiades via Budarick is probably my only trade.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wasn’t sure which thread to ask this in so am posting here.

Whilst prices are changing after 2 games this year rather than 3, will price changes after that still be based on rolling three game averages?

I’m assuming yes and so after the initial price changes things will be like previous years. Can anyone confirm this?

Wasn’t sure which thread to ask this in so am posting here.

Whilst prices are changing after 2 games this year rather than 3, will price changes after that still be based on rolling three game averages?

I’m assuming yes and so after the initial price changes things will be like previous years. Can anyone confirm this?
Player price changes begin in Round 2 (or after a player has played two matches) to account for the shortened season. Note that we will continue to use a three-round rolling average to calculate prices. For Round 2, the third score used will be based on the previous season average score that each player was priced at - then returning to normal after the third round. Check out our FAQ below for additional details.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Player price changes begin in Round 2 (or after a player has played two matches) to account for the shortened season. Note that we will continue to use a three-round rolling average to calculate prices. For Round 2, the third score used will be based on the previous season average score that each player was priced at - then returning to normal after the third round. Check out our FAQ below for additional details.
Awesome. Thanks for this.

Guess for rookies they’ll use their equivalent score based on price for the third score, which means they’ll jump less in week two than is traditional in week 3. Still may be a chance to grab any rookies that go large next round in week 3.

Last edited:

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Longmuir sees him as Jayden Stephenson mould coming from the pies. Trading him in is more for his 100 score to make his cash generation higher even if he has 2 x 30 games will still be an avg of 53.3 at end of rd3. If this is correct can be a rough example. If Sturt gets a 30 in rd2+3 he will rise more than that example projection for a rookie priced at that avg of 50 meaning Sturt would b at 65 avg after 2 and 53 avg after 3.
Thanks for posting, that’s interesting and helpful.

The quicker price move helps at the margin, although in these examples the two largely line back up by round 5 ($214k vs $205k), but King has still only made $80-90k - ie well short of what we would be hoping for. He would likely be held much longer, so his ongoing scoring level would be quite important.

Obviously there’s no 100 thrown in there, but as you say, if Sturt goes 30, 30, he could be tracking close to a 50 rolling average after 3 rounds (and would then still have the 30s to keep rolling through, once the 100 drops out).

Worth flagging that Sturt scored 39 and 29 in the Marsh series from close to full game time (TOG of 77% and 76%).

I’ll likely try to do some maths myself, but my sense is that if you didn’t like Sturt before this, trading him in for his 100 may still not be worth it, unless you just have no better use for that trade next week.

AFL Club
West Coast
For those which are trading in Howe, I must be missing something, was he on your radar or is the 150+ score the attraction. I didn’t watch the game so curious as to

Did he take kick outs to help his score?
A several intercepts marks?
Play up the ground for more possessions?
Collingwood are fantasy relevant, chip kicks, possessions, etc

I just can’t help feel people are chasing the points, he could well come out next week and get 90 (which has been his avg for a few seasons now) whilst his last season was just shy of 80. Anyone care to explain why he should be a priority trade target after round 2? Thanks in advance

AFL Club
Richmond
For those which are trading in Howe, I must be missing something, was he on your radar or is the 150+ score the attraction. I didn’t watch the game so curious as to

Did he take kick outs to help his score?
A several intercepts marks?
Play up the ground for more possessions?
Collingwood are fantasy relevant, chip kicks, possessions, etc

I just can’t help feel people are chasing the points, he could well come out next week and get 90 (which has been his avg for a few seasons now) whilst his last season was just shy of 80. Anyone care to explain why he should be a priority trade target after round 2? Thanks in advance
Richmond play Collingwood on Thursday night, is Richmond style of play going to be conducive for Howe scoring?

Richmond play Collingwood on Thursday night, is Richmond style of play going to be conducive for Howe scoring?
Good question - they tend to get the ball inside 50 either quick and dirty or they have the outnumber and it's lace out on the chest to a player in space / on the lead. I doubt we'll see to much of the long high ball coming out of slow play that interceptors tend to profit from in SC.

Having said that Doc did well against them on Thursday night without the massive scaling boost from having "influenced the result", so there is still some hope for an intercepting defender to crack the ton against them.