Discussion Round 22: Teams & In Game Discussion

AFL Club
Melbourne
Sier was actually a guest speaker at a function I was at on the weekend at the ‘G before the Dees v Pies game.

He said he would be right to play this weekend so perhaps him being ruled out already for this weekend has more to do with this basketball indiscretion.

Came across as an interesting individual.

Professor

100 Games Club
AFL Club
Carlton
INJURED Collingwood midfielder Brayden Sier took to a local basketball court on Monday night amid the Pies' mounting soft-tissue crisis.

Sier, who will miss his fourth consecutive match this weekend with a calf setback, is understood to have played under a fake pseudonym in a Diamond Valley Basketball Association Division 3 match in Greensborough.

Two eyewitnesses told AFL.com.au Sier played around 20 minutes and was lodged on the teamsheet as "Phill Inn" in an attempt to conceal his name.

Sier (left) running laps with injured teammates Jordan De Goey and Ben Reid. Picture: AFL Photos

However, when contacted, the Pies said Sier told them he was simply at the venue and shooting around in breaks while watching his friends as a spectator in the match.

This is despite a pair of onlookers saying they were amazed to find a professional footballer playing despite knowledge he had been battling an injury.

An opponent in the match also commented on the Pies' official Facebook account on Tuesday to query the legitimacy of Sier's calf injury after sharing the court with him.

"A player even said to him what are you doing playing domestic basketball and he (Sier) just gave him a cheeky smile," one witness told AFL.com.au.

Find AFL Exchange on Apple Podcasts,Google Podcasts and Spotify.

A prominent junior basketballer before he was drafted to the Pies at the end of 2015, Sier is said to have worn No.99 for the 'Panthers' who won the competitive match 38-33.

The Association website shows listed player "Phill Inn" scored six points.

It is believed after spotting Sier, and questioning his involvement under the alias, opposition players discussed the possibility of taking it further with the league before deciding against it.

Sier's last game was against GWS in round 18. Picture: AFL Photos

Sier joined his Pies teammates for an offsite session at Trinity College on Tuesday morning but was later ruled out of selection for this week's trip to face Adelaide due to the calf complaint.

It comes as the Pies battle turmoil at the selection table with 10 first-choice players currently sidelined through injury.

FULL INJURY LIST Who's ruled out and who's a test?

Superstar forward Jordan De Goey and Darcy Moore are the latest to have been ruled out of the clash with the Crows.

Sier spent much of the early parts of the 2019 season in the VFL before earning a senior recall in round 12 and played six matches straight.

He has not played at any level since the Pies' loss to Greater Western Sydney in round 18.

The 21-year-old made his AFL debut last year and played 12 consecutive games including the Grand Final, impressing with his work as an inside midfielder against some of the game’s premier inside midfielders.

AFL

✔@AFL

Brayden Sier kicks his first goal in the AFL!#AFLPiesLions

8:55 PM - Aug 11, 2018

Twitter Ads info and privacy

See AFL's other Tweets

He has intentions to stay at the Pies beyond this year but remains out of contract at season's end and is being monitored by several clubs chasing a big-bodied midfielder.

AFL players have long been warned about risking injury away from the football field.

Melbourne's Christian Petracca missed the first five matches of 2016 after breaking his toe while attempting to dunk a basketball in his backyard.

Port Adelaide co-captain Ollie Wines required shoulder surgery in Januaryafter a water skiing mishap and sat out the opening fortnight of the season.

Leroy

100 Games Club
AFL Club
North Melb.
Anyone know if ROB will get a run again this weekend? Sauce really looked a bit done last week against Tom Hickey (not a world class ruck by any means) but his next match will be his 200th... I know he has been an excellent servant of the club but surely with finals on the line you play the up and coming superstar?

I could do without the donut as well :ROFLMAO:

Spots

Rising Star Nominee
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone know if ROB will get a run again this weekend? Sauce really looked a bit done last week against Tom Hickey (not a world class ruck by any means) but his next match will be his 200th... I know he has been an excellent servant of the club but surely with finals on the line you play the up and coming superstar?

I could do without the donut as well :ROFLMAO:
I'm hearing you brutha but Sauce wasnt that bad was he... havent watched too many Adelaide games to know but the mids seemed up and about with him in the middle

jones711

50 Games Club
AFL Club
Collingwood
I made a few predictions earlier this year. Most were wrong. This prediction, made in March, was not far from being correct.
View attachment 10871
An exceptionally good call Terry B, I hope you brought him in at the time. I've had him since around R4 but can't claim to be a genius he was simply the best fit at the best price at that time. I think he, and ROB, are probably the two bargain buys of the year so far.