Position Rucks Discussion

Which ruckmen will you be starting (new poll 4/3/19)

• Grundy $708

Votes: 102 69.9%
  • Gawn $692

Votes: 97 66.4%
  • Martin $574

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Westhoff $550

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • Goldstein $548

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • Nankervis $533

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Witts $481

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Lycett $441

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Kreuzer $433k

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Smith $173k / Clarke $143k

Votes: 18 12.3%

• Total voters

bomberboy

Deputy Vice Captain
AFL Club
Essendon
I’d start Darcy without a second thought if Sandi has an extended time off.
Agreed - kid can play.

Sometimes you almost wish there were more than 2 ruck positions, so you can chance your arm at one of these speculatives!

BigRuss

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Report on Perth radio this morning that Darcy rucked almost all of a Freo 40 min match sim last week. Not sure who he had against him. Match sim held in howling breeze. Team A kicked 4 goals to nothing then when they swapped ends it was 3 goals to nothing. Report was that Dockers still set up defensively and got numbers around the ball. Now they potentially have a forward line maybe they need to work out what to do with it. Bewley got a good mention.
Haha that is ripped almost verbatim from the BF freo board, top quality journalism there :rolleyes:.

Freo going to be a very interesting side to watch this season. Could actually have one of the more potent forward lines if they can remember how to use it. Couple of winters away from finals, but they’ve drafted quite well the last few years IMO.

randomcliche

Rising Star Nominee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Haha that is ripped almost verbatim from the BF freo board, top quality journalism there :rolleyes:.

Freo going to be a very interesting side to watch this season. Could actually have one of the more potent forward lines if they can remember how to use it. Couple of winters away from finals, but they’ve drafted quite well the last few years IMO.
My mind is elsewhere...looking forward to winter commencing 14 April

Crabby Skills

50 Games Club
AFL Club
Essendon
I did take a look at Darcy's price but at $361k, it's probably too high for me to consider. I'd probably rather take a punt on Kreuzer at $440k at that range.

I think Z.Clarke didn't have that great a game at the match sim on Friday, still the JLT to come which I think he can play in (although it's odd that Gibbons apparently can't play in the JLT). Not ruled out yet but not as confident on ZClarke after a poor match sim display and guys like Draper and McKernan having better games. Probably realistically needs an injury to McKernan to become a solid choice.

We've got to throw Draper in soon don't we? Given all the positive noise about him leaking out of the club...

Just don't know where he'll fit in the side if Bellchambers is fit, as, even if we were to play 2 rucks, both Belly and Mckernan are probably a fair bit more capable when rotating up forward!

Manikato1

150 Games Club
AFL Club
West Coast

Knowing the person talking about it on the radio that would not surprise me at all.

Tails

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So just to extrapolate this convo a touch further:

A set up of:

Grundy, Gawn | Bines R/F
Hoff R/F

- R1: Hoff can cover for one of Gawn / Grundy
- R2: Hoff can cover for Grundy but you'd need advanced notice to cover Gawn
- R3: Hoff can cover for one of Gawn / Grundy
- R4: Hoff can cover for one of Gawn / Grundy
- R5: Hoff can cover for Grundy but not Gawn
- R6: Hoff can cover for for one of Gawn / Grundy
- R7: Hoff can cover for Grundy but not Gawn

... That'll do from that side:
- obviously if a cheap R3 plays they can mitigate this to some degree

Downgrade to say Goldy at any time:
- R1: Provides an out for either of them
- R2: Provides an out for either of them
- R3: Provides an out for either of them
- R4: Provides an out for either of them
- R5: Provides an out for Gawn but not Grundy
- R6: Provides an out for either of them
- R7: Provides an out for either of them

Just my thoughts ... don't let me sway any decision making ... just something to consider ...

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood

A set up of:

Grundy, Gawn | Bines R/F
Hoff R/F

Just my thoughts ... don't let me sway any decision making ...
so in reality it is either Fort (if named Rd 1 and holds his spot) or Bines/F7 rookie providing the cover.

I guess then you need to look at Bines effectiveness in the C/VC loop situation or find another player at M11.

Tails

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
so in reality it is either Fort (if named Rd 1 and holds his spot) or Bines/F7 rookie providing the cover.

I guess then you need to look at Bines effectiveness in the C/VC loop situation or find another player at M11.
Not quite the way I was looking at it ...

- Hoff is good cover but probably overpriced.
- Bines is a good loophole option if you go with the two big guns and has that DPP link that is always beneficial
- Goldy provides an out for last minute outs on most occasions (one player only)
- Fort etc if they play at the right time could provide an insurance policy ,,,

Darkie

AFL Club
Collingwood

A set up of:

Grundy, Gawn | Bines R/F
Hoff R/F

Just my thoughts ... don't let me sway any decision making ... just something to consider ...
Thanks for this - an I right in thinking that this refers to late withdrawals, rather than a player not being named due to injury, eg?

Tails

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thanks for this - an I right in thinking that this refers to late withdrawals, rather than a player not being named due to injury, eg?
- This was according to named teams, order of games played and possible late withdrawals. The only exception was for the line I mentioned "advanced notice"...

AFL Club
Collingwood
Not quite the way I was looking at it ...

- Hoff is good cover but probably overpriced.
- Bines is a good loophole option if you go with the two big guns and has that DPP link that is always beneficial
- Goldy provides an out for last minute outs on most occasions (one player only)
- Fort etc if they play at the right time could provide an insurance policy ,,,
ok I am totally confused then , if you are highlighting Westhoff can cover R1/R2 by swapping with Bines , you are in effect getting F7 scores.

Smith , Clarke , Fort , Sweet etc may be named Rd 1 and provide cover without needing Bines or Westhoff

Tails

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
ok I am totally confused then , if you are highlighting Westhoff can cover R1/R2 by swapping with Bines , you are in effect getting F7 scores.

Smith , Clarke , Fort , Sweet etc may be named Rd 1 and provide cover without needing Bines or Westhoff
Was attempting to highlight the pro's and con's of starting with the Hoff with a DPP link v having cheap ruck cover. Maybe I should have worded it better.

- No right or wrong answer IMO but cheap ruck cover with the Goldy bail out option seems to possibly be the best structure ... all comes down to when and where you are prepared to use your trades and what price you put on ruck cover ... and whether you want to use Bines as your loophole option ...

AFL Club
Collingwood
Was attempting to highlight the pro's and con's of starting with the Hoff with a DPP link v having cheap ruck cover. Maybe I should have worded it better.

- No right or wrong answer IMO but cheap ruck cover with the Goldy bail out option seems to possibly be the best structure ... all comes down to when and where you are prepared to use your trades and what price you put on ruck cover ... and whether you want to use Bines as your loophole option ...
At the moment I am backwards and forwards with my Rucks

R1 Grundy - locked
R2 Westhoff/Goldstein
R3 rookie priced Ruck named Rd 1 eg Fort - locked

The big advantages I see starting Westhoff is it gives you the option of :-* bringing in Mumford in Rd 5
* waiting to see what impact (if any) Preuss has on Gawn
* does someone else jump up to premium ruck status ?

locking in Goldy from the start , you almost are settling for 105 which may or not be good enough.

I am pretty confident Westhoff will go 90+ and with his durability should be a Top 10 forward.

If we don't get a Rookie ruck named Rd 1 , I will definitely start a cheap F/R for the loop option and may need if down the track.

Questions already on Kreuzer , Grundy , Martin & Sandi and it is only February.

Ricky Bobby

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just posted this in the Injury thread, but this may be a better place for it:

At what point do we become concerned with Grundys delayed return to full training and the impact on his conditioning? I have removed several players from my team based on less :confused:

AFL Club
Collingwood
Grundy always plays with one sock up and one sock down , trying to remember which leg is which now.

Wondering if the sock up leg is hiding a bandage ? 🤔