Position Rucks Discussion

Which ruckmen will you be starting (new poll 4/3/19)

• Grundy $708

Votes: 102 69.9%
  • Gawn $692

Votes: 97 66.4%
  • Martin $574

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Westhoff $550

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • Goldstein $548

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • Nankervis $533

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Witts $481

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Lycett $441

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Kreuzer $433k

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Smith $173k / Clarke $143k

Votes: 18 12.3%

• Total voters

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
My SC style isn't to take risks on blokes like that at that price, but that's just the way I have traditionally setup my sides in the past and I'll probably stick to something similar again.

However, I've been a big fan of Battle for a while even though he hasn't played very many games. Picked him in my Keepers League last year and prior to his season being ended by concussion issues he was looking awfully good as a forward, and a decent SC scorer. Was stoked to hear he'll play the Sicily type role, and be let loose to intercept mark, use his tank to push up the ground, and when needed to roam forward and kick a goal.
This sounds like he is worth at least monitoring up to his bubble game, thanks mate.

My thinking was similar to Bermi's, in that he could be a decent cash cow if he scored well in the Sicily role in the JLT, or he could be a "rookie upgrade" if you have cash left over just before lockout.

I hadn't considered that he could be a solid on field forward scorer in a potentially shallow pool (I gather they're okay this year, most years they're terrible), so he could have some utility if he plays well early. He could also be a bolter to jump on in round three with a bit clearer picture of how everything is panning out.

AFL Club
West Coast
Below is training report re Collingwood from another website. Thought I would share in the Ruck thread given the Grundy observations but the other players mentioned are also interesting. My bold. Need an interpreter for the nicknames. Shaz is Scharenburg? Checkers? Atu?

After being summoned to the middle of the ground, could hear the instructions and was excited to see that I’d be witnessing the time-trial. Interesting to note that many finished in exactly or around about the same position as the early December test. Phillips set the pace early and always maintained clear ground on any opposition. As they passed near where I was standing, one of the fitness staff called out the time to “Flipper” and encouraged him to bring it home strongly. Lynch was with Sidey early but eventually the latter forced himself into the silver medal position. The players were all asked to note their time and report it to one of the official before cooling down. Some of the players didn’t take part. What was interesting was Grundy again brought up the rear and he was never in any danger of not finishing last. I could hear his laboured breathing (his gasping was audible) and he clearly doesn’t relish this. The penultimate finisher was Mason who does really seem to push himself but didn’t look in terrible discomfort. Interestingly Brodes looked fine in some of the basic match-simulation and drills later and we all know he has elite stamina Shaz took part in this and finished in the middle of the field. Lynch ran impressively, exhibiting a good style and looking confident and relaxed. Have also thought that he has looked comfortable in the drills and match-simulation. Sier performed more strongly here than in the beep test, as did Tay, but Josh Thomas was fourth last by my reckoning with only the heaviest guys tailing him so maybe endurance could be a targeted area for him with competition for spots hotting up in his area of the ground. Guys like Callum and Daics also finished mid-field but Checkers looked quite comfortable for a bigger body. Noticed that Tyler Brown trailed Atu as they separated themselves as a clear duo in the middle of the group. Great to see IQ finishing in the top five.
It was good to see Treloar return to the fray. He looked particularly enthusiastic and was relishing his chance to rejoin full training as he wore citrus coloured boots and a beaming smile. Crisp was spotted in his training gear for the first time and he did some running on the sidelines. Also on lighter duties were JDG, Langdon, Reid, Goldie, Wells, Dunn, Greenwood, Shaz and Kelly. Neither Beams, nor Mayne made an appearance on the arena. Earlier Varcoe had runs some laps too but took part in main drills later in the session. Kelly and Wells did a lot of running up and down one section of the oval together, while Jordy and Langdon did some solo running. Tommy worked particularly hard not giving himself much breathing space between run-throughs and he appeared to be running at a fair click. Noticed that he had some light strapping on his left knee. Jordy went in a few times only to reappear and he was obviously working to some program orchestrated by the fitness crew.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
Below is training report re Collingwood from another website. Thought I would share in the Ruck thread given the Grundy observations but the other players mentioned are also interesting. My bold. Need an interpreter for the nicknames. Shaz is Scharenburg? Checkers? Atu?

After being summoned to the middle of the ground, could hear the instructions and was excited to see that I’d be witnessing the time-trial. Interesting to note that many finished in exactly or around about the same position as the early December test. Phillips set the pace early and always maintained clear ground on any opposition. As they passed near where I was standing, one of the fitness staff called out the time to “Flipper” and encouraged him to bring it home strongly. Lynch was with Sidey early but eventually the latter forced himself into the silver medal position. The players were all asked to note their time and report it to one of the official before cooling down. Some of the players didn’t take part. What was interesting was Grundy again brought up the rear and he was never in any danger of not finishing last. I could hear his laboured breathing (his gasping was audible) and he clearly doesn’t relish this. The penultimate finisher was Mason who does really seem to push himself but didn’t look in terrible discomfort. Interestingly Brodes looked fine in some of the basic match-simulation and drills later and we all know he has elite stamina Shaz took part in this and finished in the middle of the field. Lynch ran impressively, exhibiting a good style and looking confident and relaxed. Have also thought that he has looked comfortable in the drills and match-simulation. Sier performed more strongly here than in the beep test, as did Tay, but Josh Thomas was fourth last by my reckoning with only the heaviest guys tailing him so maybe endurance could be a targeted area for him with competition for spots hotting up in his area of the ground. Guys like Callum and Daics also finished mid-field but Checkers looked quite comfortable for a bigger body. Noticed that Tyler Brown trailed Atu as they separated themselves as a clear duo in the middle of the group. Great to see IQ finishing in the top five.
It was good to see Treloar return to the fray. He looked particularly enthusiastic and was relishing his chance to rejoin full training as he wore citrus coloured boots and a beaming smile. Crisp was spotted in his training gear for the first time and he did some running on the sidelines. Also on lighter duties were JDG, Langdon, Reid, Goldie, Wells, Dunn, Greenwood, Shaz and Kelly. Neither Beams, nor Mayne made an appearance on the arena. Earlier Varcoe had runs some laps too but took part in main drills later in the session. Kelly and Wells did a lot of running up and down one section of the oval together, while Jordy and Langdon did some solo running. Tommy worked particularly hard not giving himself much breathing space between run-throughs and he appeared to be running at a fair click. Noticed that he had some light strapping on his left knee. Jordy went in a few times only to reappear and he was obviously working to some program orchestrated by the fitness crew.
Players don't enjoy running and getting tired... big news lol
Still locked and loaded for me.

AFL Club
Melbourne

Do you happen to know why Beams was a no-show? Has he had an interrupted pre-season?

AFL Club
West Coast
Do you happen to know why Beams was a no-show? Has he had an interrupted pre-season?
Hi Ricky. Unfortunately cannot help you there. The report had good depth hence I decided to post it but no mention of Beams after that. I did note that comment in the report with interest however.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Have dug through a few training reports and picked this up from Bomberblitz

My other gut feeling is Clarke will play some ruck this year…moving really well and did an interesting drill where he tapped the ball down on the wing to rovers but sprinted behind the play down forward to open up a goal square marking option as play was going on…was quicker than I thought. Obvious if he does play they want him to be a scoring double threat…as he was in WA side this year…avg a goal a game.

Whether you start Zac even if he doesn’t play in R1 remains to be seen but seems likely that he’ll play this season. He definitely could play R1 if JD doesn’t get up. I was in denial earlier but it seems JD is definitely still struggling and is every chance to miss R1. Zac Clarke for two rounds into Mummy could be a ruck strategy which gains traction as people become more certain on Zac Clarke.

Here’s what was written on JD (ess supporters look away...)

Joe Daniher - Towards the end of training Joe worked out on the smaller oval leading and kicking for goal followed by additional running. I couldn’t fault his effort but he was moving very GINGERLY and not at full pace. It looked to me that he was reluctant to bend over and pick up the ball in front of him and he punctuated his activities by pausing for a kind of stretchy squat. Looks a long way off for mine but I’m no expert.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe just me, but Mitchell going down makes Grundy/Gawn all the more important. 2 crucial Vc/C options I can at least sort of trust.
Agree re Grundy but not sure how important Gawn is as a C option. I’m planning to start Danger, Fyfe and Cripps and I think they’re better VC/C options than Gawn.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe just me, but Mitchell going down makes Grundy/Gawn all the more important. 2 crucial Vc/C options I can at least sort of trust.
Agree re Grundy but not sure how important Gawn is as a C option. I’m planning to start Danger, Fyfe and Cripps and I think they’re better VC/C options than Gawn.
Good point Bomberboy, good Vc/C choices have now been reduced. B18 named a few good alternatives and there are others that could score well when they play against certain teams. So now we may have to do more planning with the 'floating donut'.
Until Gawn/Preuss ruck duties are confirmed, it may be best to leave him out for now.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
$200k ruck Brooksby - chance to be Lycett 2.0?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...f=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_sport_afl

Bit of a misleading heading
I’d likely take the punt on him if he lines up round one, watched him play a couple times in the SANFL last year and he had the look of a player that was too good for state league footy.

That being said there’s been many players that looked the same but weren’t good enough for AFL, Kane Mitchell was a prime example, runs rings around everyone else at state level but couldn’t get a kick in a street fight against decent opposition.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Cheers mate. So Dogs have 10 sunday games? Sweet will make a good loophole as ruck. I'm leaning towards Xerri as r3, makes sense if I pick Goldy. If Goldy is rested or injured it will be Xerri who most likely comes in right?
I haven't even looked at any players yet .... I look at the draw first as it can sway my line ball decisions.