Position Rucks Discussion

Which ruckmen will you be starting (new poll 4/3/19)

• Grundy $708

Votes: 102 69.9%
  • Gawn $692

Votes: 97 66.4%
  • Martin $574

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Westhoff $550

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • Goldstein $548

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • Nankervis $533

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Witts $481

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Lycett $441

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Kreuzer $433k

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Smith $173k / Clarke $143k

Votes: 18 12.3%

• Total voters
AFL Club
GWS Giants
Why can't Grundy kick?
Toe injury in the preseason when Roughead stood on his foot.
I've seen this posted around a couple of threads - what's this based on? Looks purely speculation and again a search for justification to leave Grundy out. He does have a high handball to kick ratio at times and not really sure his toe is causing issues but you never know, just wondering if there has been anything from the club or Grundy.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I've seen this posted around a couple of threads - what's this based on? Looks purely speculation and again a search for justification to leave Grundy out. He does have a high handball to kick ratio at times and not really sure his toe is causing issues but you never know, just wondering if there has been anything from the club or Grundy.
Someone was also saying when he did kick, it was on the opposite foot?

It’s more so the unlikelihood of backing up which would lead me to leave out Grundy, if there was a decent rookie option at R2.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
AFL Club
GWS Giants
Yeah knew about the injury, but assumed he was cleared to play which meant there was no significant issue with being able to kick left or right footed and no concern about it being stood on again and damaged.

It seems I'm looking for a reason not to start him but I'm struggling to find one really. Each time I take him out I get this weird sensation in my gut. I know people are saying history this history that but history is there to be broken.

If things are looking rough the first couple of rounds at least I've got the coin in Grundy to go anywhere but if he comes out with a pair of 125+ scores round 1 and 2 then I'd still be worried about how to get him in later in the rounds.

Going to be interesting to see how this pans out in hindsight - keep an eye on my rucks and go the other way is my suggestion.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah knew about the injury, but assumed he was cleared to play which meant there was no significant issue with being able to kick left or right footed and no concern about it being stood on again and damaged.

It seems I'm looking for a reason not to start him but I'm struggling to find one really. Each time I take him out I get this weird sensation in my gut. I know people are saying history this history that but history is there to be broken.

If things are looking rough the first couple of rounds at least I've got the coin in Grundy to go anywhere but if he comes out with a pair of 125+ scores round 1 and 2 then I'd still be worried about how to get him in later in the rounds.

Going to be interesting to see how this pans out in hindsight - keep an eye on my rucks and go the other way is my suggestion.
I started Sandi/Witts a couple of years back (over Gawn from memory) - you just have to close your eyes, ignore the R1 prem scores and hope the coin you spend in other areas makes up the points difference.

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I can’t believe we are less than 6 days out from the first bounce and I still have no idea what I am doing in the rucks!

I have decided to skip Grundy. He is a lot of money and I have no idea if his foot is anything to worry about or not, so he is a wait and see.

I will be locking in Gawn at R1 based on no Preuss early and he looked good in JLT.

R2 is where I’m stuck. I have versions of my team with Hoff, Goldy, Witts, Lobb, English, Smith and Clarke as R2.

R3 will depend on R2 as to whether it will be a cheap playing ruck or R/F donut.

Looking at my various teams and the draw I realise I could go really last minute and actually wait until after the Coll v Geel game before deciding my tuck structure,

Firstly, it gives me two games to get a feel for how the new rules are impacting ruck scoring and therefore what type of player may be best to target.

Secondly, I get to watch Grundy begore deciding whether I need to be planning to get him sooner or later.

Finally it will mean I get to spend an extra two days having no idea what I’m doing and hopefully two less days regretting what I have done!

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'll take a 60 at R2 from Clarke in a heart beat
Reckon if both Clarke & Smith get named it's maybe worth it but if only one gets the nod I wouldn't be game to take the risk.

Could mean a 3 trade fix if they go down early, unless your willing to take Westhoff or a Goldy type replacement, which then probably needs the third trade when Grundy/Gawn level out anyway. Would be very very hard to come back from from a start like that where you'd probably be forced to forego correction trades.

Probably a mindset thing I think. You've tasted glory and know it takes something special to get there, whereas for the average joe bloggs, a top 1% finish is considered a very successful season.

AFL Club
Adelaide
I can’t believe we are less than 6 days out from the first bounce and I still have no idea what I am doing in the rucks!

I have decided to skip Grundy. He is a lot of money and I have no idea if his foot is anything to worry about or not, so he is a wait and see.

I will be locking in Gawn at R1 based on no Preuss early and he looked good in JLT.

R2 is where I’m stuck. I have versions of my team with Hoff, Goldy, Witts, Lobb, English, Smith and Clarke as R2.

R3 will depend on R2 as to whether it will be a cheap playing ruck or R/F donut.

Looking at my various teams and the draw I realise I could go really last minute and actually wait until after the Coll v Geel game before deciding my tuck structure,

Firstly, it gives me two games to get a feel for how the new rules are impacting ruck scoring and therefore what type of player may be best to target.

Secondly, I get to watch Grundy begore deciding whether I need to be planning to get him sooner or later.

Finally it will mean I get to spend an extra two days having no idea what I’m doing and hopefully two less days regretting what I have done!
Are you avoiding Grundy on price principle?

None of us with him love his startling price but can’t see a better alternative, like you can’t.

If you are down to watching his first game and leaving cash spare for him just pick him, put your mind at rest and work on the rest of your team.

What if he gets 85 first up and then 140 for the next 5 rounds while you’ve used his R1 score to make your decision?

Last edited:
Reckon if both Clarke & Smith get named it's maybe worth it but if only one gets the nod I wouldn't be game to take the risk.

Could mean a 3 trade fix if they go down early, unless your willing to take Westhoff or a Goldy type replacement, which then probably needs the third trade when Grundy/Gawn level out anyway. Would be very very hard to come back from from a start like that where you'd probably be forced to forego correction trades.

Probably a mindset thing I think. You've tasted glory and know it takes something special to get there, whereas for the average joe bloggs, a top 1% finish is considered a very successful season.
If you had Bines at R3, it would only take 1 trade by swapping a forward promo for a ruck/fwd like Lynette,Westoff,Lobb that can become a F6 or F7 keeper.

A rookie ruck is gold and worth the risk imo.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some good points above.

I’ve had Hoff at R2 for ages and am seriously considering switching Grundy for Goldstein.

Im finding it harder to see Grundy really hurting non owners early, once the loose change is accounted for.

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Are you avoiding Grundy on price principle?

None of us with him love his startling price but can’t see a better alternative, like you can’t.

If you are down to watching his first game and leaving cash spare for him just pick him, put your mind at rest and work on the rest of your team.

What if he gets 85 first up and then 140 for the next 5 rounds while you’ve used his R1 score to make your decision?
Unfortunately it is not a straight answer. Grundy’s pre season with injury is what has spooked me, but it is also tied up with price - I am sure if he was $500k I would risk it. Without him, the rest of my team looks stronger, so I would rather wait and see.

I wouldn’t be leaving spare cash for him. The money would be used in working out XvY’s on other lines. If I felt I needed him ASAP I would probably start Goldy. If I felt I had more time on my hands I may take greater risk - that risk would depend on what info I can get from watching all 4 rucks who would have played in the first two games.

Any player can stink it up in one game, I would just rather have one game to look at than none. The flip side of that - when I started Billings last year I thought I was on a winner and was annoyed he went so well first up and others “corrected” to bring him in ... we all lost but at least I got his best score fore the year and didn’t waste an extra trade.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If you had Bines at R3, it would only take 1 trade by swapping a forward promo for a ruck/fwd like Lynette,Westoff,Lobb that can become a F6 or F7 keeper.

A rookie ruck is gold and worth the risk imo.
Hoff does provide an out in theory, but for me I've not got any 550k premium forwards other than Danger and depending on your forward line it likely means you'd have to trade your F2, in most cases Heeney + your bank to make the trade.

Lycett & Lobbs best years are 83 & 75 respectively, not exactly what most are looking for in an F6/7.

It also hinges on Westhoff being a viable forward, and there being a suitable forward rookie to get in which is by no means guaranteed.

I'm not saying it's a bad strategy at all, just pointing out that there are a lot of things that can go very wrong with a single ruck rookie strategy. For me the cons outweigh the pros, though it is certainly up for debate.

Hoff does provide an out in theory, but for me I've not got any 550k premium forwards other than Danger and depending on your forward line it likely means you'd have to trade your F2, in most cases Heeney + your bank to make the trade.

Lycett & Lobbs best years are 83 & 75 respectively, not exactly what most are looking for in an F6/7.

It also hinges on Westhoff being a viable forward, and there being a suitable forward rookie to get in which is by no means guaranteed.

I'm not saying it's a bad strategy at all, just pointing out that there are a lot of things that can go very wrong with a single ruck rookie strategy. For me the cons outweigh the pros, though it is certainly up for debate.
Lycett has never played as the number 1 ruck. I could see him averaging around 90 which I’d take as my F6 and F7.

But yes it might not be worth it risk, especially if Gawn and Grundy start the year well, then Clarke’s 60-70 a week is negated.