Position SC 2021: Midfielder Discussion

Which ‘keepers’ are you planning on starting with?

• Neale

Votes: 48 43.2%
  • Oliver

Votes: 31 27.9%
  • Macrae

Votes: 86 77.5%
  • Bontempelli

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Merrett

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Fyfe

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • Cripps

Votes: 54 48.6%
  • Rowell

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • Taranto

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • Other

Votes: 45 40.5%

• Total voters
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm surprised some don't have Oliver. Not trying to be captain hindsight but his early form, followed by a heavy tag and price drop meant bringing him in would be a classic supercoach move.
Think the only issue was that his dip didn't last for long or go as deep as it looked it might, so people who had to deal with other things might have missed their chance. But yes, was an obvious first upgrade for most of us who didn't start him. 85% in the top 1000 is pretty high saturation anyway.

AFL Club
St Kilda
I’m getting on the touk train this week
Had planned to get Guthrie
I want a round 12 bye guy and Miller is in insane form
yes there is jelly and Boak as great picks too
But what does everyone think about touk? Pod will help my rank
I find error in the logic of the bolded part.

But Miller has been going well. It is not a pick I would make but not totally irrational. At 600k I would want to be certain it didn't impact too much on my ability to complete my team well.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did anyone notice that for the first time this year Cripps beat his BE?

I knew if I held him long enough that I would start to reap the rewards! :ROFLMAO:
He won't play Hawthorn every round. Hawks are easy beats this season and it's good SC points for whoever play them. Surprised they have actually won a game against a team who later went on to beat Melbourne. Plus one other team. ;)

Has been somewhat disappointing since I brought him in. His TOG is excellent, number of minutes are way higher than I would have thought prior to start of this year, given tank issues questions and back to longer quarters.

What is noticeable is he starts well and fades, yesterday another example where his DT points were 36/25/48/7. 93% TOG isn't the factor.

I didn't watch last quarter, did he rest forward or just becomes more ineffective and ghosts last quarters due to too much TOG.

He can butcher the ball as well as @wogitalia mentioned, particularly from a stoppage he does dump kicks. Less stoppages may be a factor as Olivier has more run during a game I notice and picks up a lot of possessions in play.

Teams played is hard to judge. Number of the side he has played can be restrictive and think there may be a little bit off flat track bully in him. I picked him as against Geelong he went well and they had been restrictive to that stage.

League wise, has a coupe of games he could monster.
He was a factor in the last quarter, he got their last clearance out of the centre before the final siren went. He did play some fumbleball like I said about his previous week; I recall a very easy dropped handpass he received from Clarry with no one near him. Was one of those where his back was turned to the direction he wanted to go and he spent it before he got it type of thing. There were just some small things that conspired against him getting a bigger score - for example one of the Dees forwards (I think Fritsch or Spargo?) picked up the ball 15 metres or so out on an angle, had Trac flying past directly in their line of vision, but instead of handpassing it to him for an easy goal decided to take the harder option B and ended up kicking a point.

I only brought him him in this week and overall I'm happy with the pickup - he got a ton of clearances (interestingly, in the contested situations his hands were a lot better), looks a jet and I'm not worried about his tank, got over the ground great IMO. I mean this bloke averaged more in SC than the Bont did last season and he's $530k. Only big downside to him is that bye.

AFL Club
Richmond
I find error in the logic of the bolded part.

But Miller has been going well. It is not a pick I would make but not totally irrational. At 600k I would want to be certain it didn't impact too much on my ability to complete my team well.
I’m 742nd overall
If touk can keep popping off it will be a real help in gaining ground imo
Will finish off my mids with Neale in round 14 leaving
Bont Macrae Merrett titch Oliver Steele Neale and pod Miller

My side is very vanilla and I like the role Miller has. Gold Coast will win games in the run home and I think Rowell will take the main attention when her Returns
I’m not breaking the bank to do it as it fits my plans perfectly to bring in Heeney as well. I actually save money going Miller as the original plan was to get Guthrie

AFL Club
West Coast
I’m 742nd overall
If touk can keep popping off it will be a real help in gaining ground imo
Will finish off my mids with Neale in round 14 leaving
Bont Macrae Merrett titch Oliver Steele Neale and pod Miller

My side is very vanilla and I like the role Miller has. Gold Coast will win games in the run home and I think Rowell will take the main attention when her Returns
I’m not breaking the bank to do it as it fits my plans perfectly to bring in Heeney as well. I actually save money going Miller as the original plan was to get Guthrie
Yeah, going overall, target round12 bye players is smart. can go early if you have excess players in that round or trade into them in R13. Not many I like, Duncan will get a bit cheaper, however, thats not too Round 15 you would bring him in.

Risk for Miller is role change as I think he is used from time to time as a close checking run with player. Think he targeted Gaff round 1 and score an 80 or so, when usually WCE give up big scores to mids.

Certain I see you throw some wild names out there from time to time, surprising the team is so vanilla. well done on ranking.

AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, going overall, target round12 bye players is smart. can go early if you have excess players in that round or trade into them in R13. Not many I like, Duncan will get a bit cheaper, however, thats not too Round 15 you would bring him in.

Risk for Miller is role change as I think he is used from time to time as a close checking run with player. Think he targeted Gaff round 1 and score an 80 or so, when usually WCE give up big scores to mids.

Certain I see you throw some wild names out there from time to time, surprising the team is so vanilla. well done on ranking.
yeah think I’m happy to take the risk. He is attacking the last 6 games and his ceiling is fantastic. Jelly and Taranto today are more popular choices but in a great win had 102 each, Boak a 96. I think Miller has less competition for points and is one of champion data’s it giys for 2021. I’m often too late on jumping on to guys who break out like Steele last year, Lyons last year etc. Miller is doing it again and I want to gain a little pod edge

Team with Miller and Heeney coming in is this now

Docherty short lloyd Stewart laird l Jones
Highmore n Murphy

Merrett Bont Steele titch Miller Macrae Oliver Rcd
Poulter berry Fyfe

Grundy Gawn Flynn

Heeney Dusty ziebell impey Robertson Bergman
Mcreery waterman

AFL Club
Sydney
I'm surprised some don't have Oliver. Not trying to be captain hindsight but his early form, followed by a heavy tag and price drop meant bringing him in would be a classic supercoach move.
I didn't start him as another cog in my excellent decision to blunt force Cripps into my starting side thinking an extra premium was worth more than paying premiums elsewhere... Also wasn't convinced he'd have a 200+ score again this season (they're pretty rare) which was a significant factor in him being more expensive than Kelly/Merrett (who I cheapened into for double mistakes!).

Then the rucks took down my dream of getting him a month ago when I had Hickey out for 6-8 weeks and Flynn not playing and thus had to blow all my Dunkley money on Gawn, setting back trades by a couple of weeks and then my forwards keep falling apart so had to fix that.

AKA the real classic supercoach moves of chasing one's tail instead of doing what they'd planned to do for weeks!

Yet another reason why you should pick the players you enjoy as well because cheering against him sucks!

I’m getting on the touk train this week
Had planned to get Guthrie
I want a round 12 bye guy and Miller is in insane form
yes there is jelly and Boak as great picks too
But what does everyone think about touk? Pod will help my rank
I brought him in RD7, suspension was annoying but has been great. I’m not as well placed as yourself though, I did it for the fun of it.

AFL Club
Sydney
Who does everyone think the Top 8 is from here? I'm thinking...

Oliver
Macrae
Bont
Lyons
Fyfe
Walsh
Steele
Neale?

I only have 3 of those guys currently :(
Walsh losing a little steam and will be getting attention moving forward, especially after how Cousins shut him down on the weekend in the 2nd half.

For mine...

1. Macrae - Stud who just keeps scoring and going under the radar with enough star teammates to avoid defensive attention.
2. Oliver - Ditto, teams just seem more focused on stopping a lot of other things and happy for him to run wild.
3. Lyons - Same mould really, attention will go to Zorko, Clug and Neale, he'll just keep waxing.
4. Parish - There's a trend here but Merrett is getting all the attention and Parish has been the one hunting cheap touches late in the last few games while Merrett just enjoys a rest. I think he can continue. He's gone way past Shiel et al at this point even if they do return.
5. Bont - Expecting some (any?) defensive attention to come, Saints went with the "leave him completely alone" approach and got torched. I'm genuinely shocked he isn't getting hard tags every week given his very poor history handling tags.
6. Duncan - Just a sloot.
7. Petracca - Oliver should get the attention the next few weeks, his last few games have felt "on the edge" so expecting a big score or two from him very soon. He's too good for his ratio to stay this bad and his raw stats are strong.
8. Fyfe - I expect he misses another game or two or he'd be higher. Also hard to read his role with Taberner possibly out and Brayshaw and Cerra just missing games meaning midfield role hard to fully establish.

Expect Clug to get attention and struggle the first few times as most do, especially the slightly more outside types. Guthrie the shoulder is a genuine concern, if he's fine he's right up there but he looked very limited after coming back on. Steele I just don't trust St Kilda right now but he's the perfect buy low candidate. Mitchell is hard to trust. Zerrett will keep getting tagged because he's not handling it and he's also lost his junker badge and has the CD hate factor. Libba is a genuine candidate, playing inspired footy right now. Touk is a strong option also but the bad team part hurts. Boak I think his 5 round average is about right.

Neale the wild card but given he misses a couple more then it's hard to put him up there. Will most likely be a luxury trade candidate for those swinging at fences. Jelly just isn't doing enough in the 4th quarters (after only doing things in the 4th quarter early in the season) and is getting some pretty harsh CD treatment but he's capable. Taranto if he keeps going the bomb it long or handball approach he took on the weekend (and plays 4 quarters) could get there but both are long shots.

My big positive is I have exactly 1 of that group I've highlighted so at least I'm not wanting for targets :LOL:

I brought him in RD7, suspension was annoying but has been great. I’m not as well placed as yourself though, I did it for the fun of it.
Love Touk, been durable, does a bit of everything on the field which makes him hard to stop scoring in some way (good floor) and has some whorish traits to push his ceiling as well.

If I'm going before that bye for a player in it, I'd pick Touk. Duncan cheaper with more explosive scoring would probably be my pick if going after the bye. Other factor with that bye is it's the perfect target for avoiding bye rounds and getting the extra scores and Touk is a great target coming out of it still.