Competitions SC 2021: Teams Competition

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No worries. As you know always good for a suggestion. ;)

When do you think you will have it sorted? I plan to run the Club Challenge again this season but want to give you clear air before I work out exactly what I will do there.
Ideally a fortnight before RD1 and Labour Day at the latest. Will put a cut-off date for entries to the group in the coming days which will likely be for this time next week or early March.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I’ll be in again.

In regard to your call for suggestions I offer the following ideas.
  • I quite liked the BBL scoring concept however I also like the head to head. I wonder if there is a combination of the two that could be developed or even two separate comps. Not dissimilar to SC itself with the overall and the leagues. If you did this I would recommend only running finals for the head to head and continue BBL concept for all rounds.
  • Same suggestion as I made last year in that you drop the lowest score (or scores depending on team size) from a team. I think this would result in a closer more competitive comp and keep teams interested for longer.
  • Design something into the comp that allows lagging teams to make ground. One suggestion would me to make wins worth more the deeper into the season. For example first 6 rounds worth 2, next 6 worth 3, next 6 worth 4 and then maybe a supercharged round 19 of maybe 6 (then finals). I know this was the idea behind allowing the bottom teams to draft in a gun last year but I didn’t like that because I thought it was unfair on the teams yet to play those lower ranked teams.
  • Please no reverse round if you take the BBL option.
  • Finally I did find my mind wandering to whether a Davis Cup type concept would work. What I mean by this is having individual matchups (highest ranked v highest rank, 2nd v 2nd, etc) and then a total team matchup all attracting points.
Anyway some of these would be quite complex and probably add to the workload so I am not necessarily promoting any of them but just throwing them in to the melting pot.
RE: ..........Anyway some of these would be quite complex.........

I also have a concept and this one is simple and keeps all teams alive up to the end of the competition. So the interest in the competion is there right to the end for all the teams.

Some new ideas are not readily acceptable until demonstrated to be good, understandably. That is why I am trialling the 'InterChange' concept in a free Competition this year.

The 'InterChange' concept basically is:
Scoring is based on your SC Team’s weekly score.
The concept is made up of 2 sides, the ‘SENIORS’ and the ‘RESERVES’.
The goal is to have your SC Team in the ‘Seniors’ side at the completion of the AFL’s Rd 22.

AFL Rd1 – At the end of the round, half of the highest scoring Teams will go into the ‘Seniors’ side and the other Teams will go into the ‘Reserves’ side.
AFL Rds 2 to 22 - After each round, (assuming there are around 20 teams) the 2 lowest weekly scoring Teams from the ‘Seniors’ side will drop out and interchange with the 2 highest scoring Teams from the 'Reserves’ side.
AFL Rd23 - The highest scoring Team from the ‘Seniors’ side will win.

NOTE: If any scores are tied, then the Team that scored the highest points in the latest round, is the winner.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Joined. Think you can figure out my team name. Hopefully I contribute a bit more to my team than any of the previous 3 group comps, but I did top score for our team in the GF last year, so maybe I'm in form! I'll ignore the BBL comp in between. :)

Likely to be way too much work, but if you were looking for ideas, maybe you could do a team eliminator comp at some point. After a certain round, have half the entrants play against the other half (groups decided based on season points - as a simple example, if it was 8 teams it might be 1,4,5,8 v 2,3,6,7). Highest scoring group stays in. Individual scores from that round are used as seedings for the next round. Continue the process until there's 1 person left. It keeps the team flavour going (until the final at least), and you get to be on a team with lots of different people.