Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I gave up watching after it was still a stalemate with only 10mins left...should've done it much earlier!
I bet you leave the footy at 3/4 time too! I still remember going to a game (I’m thinking 1992 but could have been 1993?) at the MCG. Melbourne lead by 41 points at 3/4 time and kicked the first goal of the last quarter. Essendon kicked the next 8 to win the game. When Essendon hit the front, Melbourne had a chance to score another goal and Derek Kickett ran back and took a chest mark whilst crashing into the goal post and held onto the mark. I’ve never hugged so many strangers at the end of a football match as I did that day!! The memory of that match made it hard for me to take when he was dropped for the 1993 grand final after playing every (or most) games that year, but the life long childhood memories of Tim Watson who was included in his place had me truly torn! Premiership obtained, so I guess the right decision was made!

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wow .. awesome response and I now better understand the inner workings of how it works !!

- Always appreciate learning new things .....
- Still amused that Fixed Odds aint necessarily Fixed Odds .... misleading advertising to me !!

I've never really been a betting person which I outlined at the start so if something doesn't "quite" look right then I have no real interest in it ....

Not going to give up on the PC but now can't place any "personal" bets which is fine by me ... unless I see a promo that tempts me again !!
Here's a little deductions tale for you @Tails.
I had a bet at MV tonight. I put it on 2 days ago.
When I put my bet on the fav (not my bet in this race) was $3.40/$1.60.
Half the field was scratched, including all bar 2 of the next 6 or 7 in the betting.
The deduction ended up being $0.56 in the dollar. The largest I've heard of in quite a while.
If you backed the fav early, say put $100 on it the place, instead of getting $160 back, you got $70.40.
You needed your horse to run a place, to LOSE $29.60!!!!!
This is very unusual, and really doesn't happen very often.
Keep this in mind, too. The race fell to 7 Runners with all the scratchings. Normally with 7 Runners you only get a place dividend on 1st and 2nd. Because your fixed odds bet was placed when there were 8 Runners or more, you still get paid for running 3rd.
So looking at an extreme example. You back a horse to place, and there are 9 horses in the race. 5 of them get scratched, and now there are 4 Runners. You still only need to run in the first 3 of the 4 Runners to collect your bet, but you are facing a very big deduction.
It seems unfair, that you back a winner and still lose, but that also happens, if you back a odds on horse to win, and it dead heats for 1st!

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Half the field was scratched, including all bar 2 of the next 6 or 7 in the betting.
The deduction ended up being $0.56 in the dollar. The largest I've heard of in quite a while.
If you backed the fav early, say put $100 on it the place, instead of getting $160 back, you got $70.40.
Keep this in mind, too. The race fell to 7 Runners with all the scratchings. Normally with 7 Runners you only get a place dividend on 1st and 2nd. Because your fixed odds bet was placed when there were 8 Runners or more, you still get paid for running 3rd.
So looking at an extreme example. You back a horse to place, and there are 9 horses in the race. 5 of them get scratched, and now there are 4 Runners. You still only need to run in the first 3 of the 4 Runners to collect your bet, but you are facing a very big deduction.
It seems unfair, that you back a winner and still lose, but that also happens, if you back a odds on horse to win, and it dead heats for 1st!
Wow ... thanks heaps for your insights ...

Have never really bet on the four legged variety ... but appreciate the education of how it "actually works" ...

- To be absolutely honest I now feel that I'm more educated than when I first joined this PC ...
- Might have cost me a few dollars but I've enjoyed the journey and education .... what price do you put on being educated ...

Last edited:

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
This seems outrageous to me.

Are they trying to imply that they would have offered odds of <$1 if they’d known about the scratching in advance?

At least in the dead heat situation I can kind of understand it - they need to pay out those who backed the other winner as well, and you’re essentially only “half right” ... I’m not sure I can see a similar rationale justifying the example you cited though?