Mod. Notice SCS Rules (Trolling, Baiting, Insulting etc etc) - MUST READ!

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
How can removing any content not change the meaning of a post ?
Well, it's pretty easy actually.

Person A posts:

Geez, what happened to Ablett today. I was listening to the game, and didn't hear his name called at all in the last quarter!

Person B posts in response:

You must be pretty stupid! He was replaced by Cockatoo, because he injured himself in the pre-game warm up!

As a Mod, if I see that, I will either edit it down to:

He was replaced by Cockatoo, because he injured himself in the pre-game warm up!

....... and then I will PM Person B, and tell them it was unnecessary to call Person A "pretty stupid".

OR

I will delete the post all together, message Person B, and then I will post a response to person A's question.

Now, this is pretty simple.
If person B's intent was to relay the message, that Ablett missed the game because of an injury in the warm up, then the meaning of the post has remained intact.
If person B's intent was to belittle Person A, or inflame an exchange, then the meaning of the post needed to be changed!

It would be like if I added into this post "surely even YOU can understand this :rolleyes:o_O".
It is unnecessarily inflammatory, so I wouldn't do it.
Discussion and opposing views are great, and it is what we are here for. Baiting, flaming, belittling, swearing, crude language and innuendo etc will not be tolerated, and where we see it, we will, where we deem it suitable, edit or delete a post.

Green Acres

Rising Star Nominee
AFL Club
St Kilda
I would rather have my entire post deleted than have anyone edit my words.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well, it's good that you expressed that view, so we know where you stand.
As a group, we will try and remember that that is your preference, and delete rather than edit, any errant posts you make.
Sometimes our editing is actually tidying things. Like if someone has quoted another post, but accidently in their own editing, removed some of the formatting that identifies it as a quoted post. We can sometimes go in, and fix the formatting so it looks as it should. There are actually a number of reasons and ways we edit posts.

IDIG

AFL Club
Essendon
Unfortunately we can’t cater to everyone and it’s a blanket rule. We’ve got a large group of mods on at varying times, monitoring 100’s of posts a day, who make judgement calls as we see them and it’s not possible to keep track of what each individual member prefers to have done to their posts.

Most people would be aware of our mod powers and understand why we have the power to do what we do, and I’d like to think for the most part we’ve made the right call on most occasions. It’s not an exact science unfortunately so we will generally err on the side of caution when there’s a grey area.

In the end, it’s how we do things here. Other forums may be less moderated or more open to the ‘other stuff’ I’ll call it but that's what works for us.

Brisbane Lions

Rising Star Nominee
AFL Club
Brisbane
How can removing any content not change the meaning of a post ?
I think what IDIG is implying is that any content in a post, that breaches the forum rules, will be removed. The only 'meaning' that is removed by moderators is that which is negative in nature.

If you made a post, for example, that highlighted your current team and had points as to why you picked certain players.... and later in the same post you spoke negatively about another member; for example you said that "Member:____ is an idiot because he thinks that this player will average x amount"...

The second past of that post will be removed. The true meaning of the post: "My current team and reasons for each player" still remains the true meaning of the post. :)

Rickwood

100 Games Club
AFL Club
Richmond
FWIW, I find it very easy to be civil and helpful on this forum, as it's readily reciprocated. Many go out of their way to assist others. Rate my team is already 54 pages long and JLT hasn't started!

It's also a safe place to express an opinion (and to disagree) in a mature manner. Often there's the opportunity for humour, intended or otherwise.

Having spent a couple of years on whirlpool trying to help people, it's quite refreshing to return here and not be trolled. It's a rare environment where I receive more than I contribute, and that IMHO is worth fostering

doc ron

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well said Rick, I can't name one other forum I've been on where 99.9% of the posts are positive in nature as well as a lot of humour that can turn a crappy day into a positive one. In my 3 or 4 years on here There has only been one time where I have actually taken offence To a post directed at me. I think it related to the Essendon saga. In the end I just agreed to disagree and move on. The mods on here do a great job and having met most of them, they are great people as well. (Hint, looking forward to this years p1ss up, oh I meant catch up.) :cool:

Philzsay

AFL Club
Essendon
Well said Rick, I can't name one other forum I've been on where 99.9% of the posts are positive in nature as well as a lot of humour that can turn a crappy day into a positive one. In my 3 or 4 years on here There has only been one time where I have actually taken offence To a post directed at me. I think it related to the Essendon saga. In the end I just agreed to disagree and move on. The mods on here do a great job and having met most of them, they are great people as well. (Hint, looking forward to this years p1ss up, oh I meant catch up.) :cool:
Catch up will be soon, have been flat out of late but plan to get the ball rolling in the next week or two on organising the next one.