SCS SuperCoach Season Review

What was your overall rank?

• Total voters
AFL Club
Hawthorn
INSTRUCTIONS

Please copy and paste this on WordPad or NotePad and make changes.

Do not make changes while logged on as you might get an unpleasant surprise if it times out or if you log out accidentally.

Team Name

Overall Ranking:
Highest Ranking:

Lowest Ranking:

Highest Weekly Ranking:
Lowest Weekly Ranking:

Highest Weekly Score:
Lowest Weekly Score:

Best Initial Selections

Worst Initial Selections

Best Sliding Door Decisions in Initial Selection

Best Trade:

Worst Trade:

SUMMARY

Self-Assessment:

Attachment: Final Team, Full Year Team History & Trades

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Goodie’s Guns

Overall Ranking: 402
Highest Ranking: 325 (Round 22)
Lowest Ranking: 6,064 (Round 4)

Highest Weekly Ranking: 788 (Round 20)
Lowest Weekly Ranking: 58,852 (Round 4)

Highest Weekly Score: 2,741 (Round 20)
Lowest Weekly Score: 1,584 (Round 12)

Best Initial Selections
Tom Mitchell
2. Max Gawn
3. Devon Smith

Worst Initial Selections
Matthew Kreuzer
2. Michael Hibberd
3. Jack Billings

Devon Smith over Michael Walters after not considering him at all during preseason until 2 hours before the Round 1 lockout.
2. Only going with the three undervalued premiums/mid-priced options in Coniglio, Smith and Sicily.
3. Going with the lower priced rookies over Brayshaw, Davies-Uniake, Rayner, etc.

Best Trade:
Michael Hibberd ---> Kade Simpson (Round 3)
2. Matthew Kreuzer ---> Brodie Grundy (Round 15)
3. Jeremy Finlayson ---> Tom McDonald (Round 9)

Worst Trade:
Nat Fyfe ---> Ed Curnow (Round 16)
2. Nick Holman ---> Michael Hurley (Round 14)
3. Tim English ---> Matthew Kreuzer (Round 13)

SUMMARY

Self-Assessment: Really, really stoked with my year, and reckon I could’ve finished even higher if I didn’t make some horrendous RUC starting selection/trade errors. Josh Kelly, Matthew Kreuzer and Buddy probably cost me nearly a third of my trades between them in one way or another. Need to credit two of my mates for talking me into Devon Smith about 3 hours out from the Round 1 lockout, hadn’t entertained the idea of him all preseason, and jumped on. Possibly up there with my trade in of Dayne Beams back years ago when he broke out (a few of the early SCS Members would remember that story).

Kreuzer getting injured for the third, fourth or fifth time (I lost count) was a blessing in disguise as it meant I was finally able to get big Brodie Grundy into my side which was massive for the back end of the season. Also, I want to give a shout out to Tim English and Oscar ‘The Big O’ McInerney for getting through at R2 for me for over half the year. A huge effort from the two young fellas. Much appreciated.

Missing Lloyd for the cheaper alternative in Hurley was a clanger. Was hoping Hurls would at least hold his own for the last 10 rounds or so, but just didn’t get the same role in the backend of the year as he had when the Bombers were getting belted. Lol

James Sicily’s injury hurt me quite a lot, as it meant with my last two trades I couldn’t get two rookies up to premiums to improve the bench cover given my cash situation. Ended the year with $120,700 in the kitty and my final two trades used on injury related straight swaps.

Now to look forward to the AFL Finals (go the Hawks!!) and SuperCoach 2019, the EPL season has got underway and I love the Virtual Sports comp that we have a SCS League in, BBL back bigger and better also over the summer!

IDIG

AFL Club
Essendon
Team Name: IDIG SCS

Overall Ranking: 32,098
Highest Ranking: 22,073 (rd 13)
Lowest Ranking: 67,447 (rd 2)

Highest Weekly Ranking: 203 (rd 13)
Lowest Weekly Ranking: 104,127 (rd 9) :eek:

Highest Weekly Score: 2,473
Lowest Weekly Score: 1536 and 1961 in rd 8

Best Initial Selections
Titch
2. Gawn
3. Smith

Worst Initial Selections
Couldn't limit myself to 3. Highlighted in red below with the orange ones not far off.

D: Laird, Savage, Marchbank, Weitering, CEllis, Murray (Doedee*, Finlayson)
M: Titch(c), Fyfe, Coniglio, Liberatore, Kennedy, JOM, Armitage, Graham (Banfield*, Kelly, Holman)
R: Kreuzer, Gawn (English)
F: Heeney, Billings, Smith, Petracca, Hogan, Fritsch (Garlett*, Ryan)

Not too many that i can think of lol

Best Trade:
Brayshaw in rd 15
2. Wingard in rd 13
3. Yeo in rd 10

Worst Trade:
Daniher in then back out rd7/8
2. Laird to Burton in rd 13
3. Kreuzer to Jacobs in rd 5 to Witts in rd 11
4. Structural change and brought in Gibbs in rd 4 and it all went downhill from there
5. Rocky in rd 13
6. Fyfe to Gaff.....

SUMMARY
I knew what i was getting myself into starting with a mid price madness starting team but did not expect that my picks would be so far off the mark. Didn't nail a single bolter with the exception of maybe Hogan and left myself too many problems to fix as the year went on. Didn't actually finish my team for the first time ever either! :mad:

Reliving my Worst Trades is just painful and reviewing my trade history is even worse. I guess if you're gonna fail, fail BIG (i think). In a year of firsts, i also missed making a trade (Billings to Sicily in rd 5) and the year continued to go downhill from there. Will go back to the ole faithful next year with maybe a small splash of mid price flavour.

Also, apologies to the leagues i brought down this year, if for a second i thought i'd go as badly as i did, i wouldn't have gone so wreckless!

Fair to say this has been the least enjoyable year of SC ever but the beauty of this game is, there's always next year (y)

Self-Assessment: 2/10

trades.jpg

Last edited:
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Looks like you had a bit of fun with Kreuzer there @Goodie's Guns :ROFLMAO:
- Started him
- Rd 7 Traded out
- Rd 13 Traded in
- Rd 15 Traded out
Yep, was a horrendous starting selection and then to trade him back in again. What was I thinking?!?! :mad:

I also hold Kreuzer accountable for the Olango ---> English trade in Round 2, and then the English to McInerney given a playing premium R2 would've saved me these additional trades.

All is Wells

50 Games Club
AFL Club
North Melb.
Team Name: Danger Things

Overall Ranking: 7th
Highest Ranking: 5th (Rd 20)
Lowest Ranking: 12665 (Rd 3)

Highest Weekly Ranking: 381 (Rd 13)
Lowest Weekly Ranking: 35411 (Rd 3)

Highest Weekly Score: 2673 (Rd 20)
Lowest Weekly Score: 2172 (Rd 3 - Excl. Byes)

Best Initial Selections
Lloyd
2. Coniglio
3. Lycett

Worst Initial Selections
Billings
2. Hibberd
3. Z.Merrett

Choosing a mid priced R2 rather than Ryder/S.Martin allowing me to grab Grundy later on in the year
2. Going heavy in the mids by picking Coniglio at M6
3. Picking more breakouts than usual in Sicily, D.Smith and Lloyd

Best Trade:
Billings - R.Gray (Rd 3)
2. Hibberd - Mclean (Rd 2)
3. Lycett - Grundy (Rd 9)

Worst Trade:
T.Kelly - Rockliff (Rd 11)
2. Sicily - Hurley (Rd 18)
3. Holman - E.Phillips (R9)

SUMMARY
Couldn't have asked for a much better year. Beat my best ranking of 19th from 2 years ago that i'd never though i'd get close to again. Made 10/10 league Grand Finals and went on to win 7 including my first ever cash league where i had a 19 game win streak. Starting team had a mix of some really good and some really bad picks.

Lloyd over Savage as my breakout worked a treat. Lloyd had an injury affected average in 2017 so was priced at around 88 instead of 92ish. Not a significant factor but swayed me a bit. A lower average with Mcveigh in the side scared me though. He didn't score over 115 once in 2017 but after rd 7 he went over 115 10/15 games. Great pod to have from the start of the year

Wasn't expecting too much from Lycett. Would have been happy with a 70-75 avg considering he was priced at only 275k. Was on the verge of trading him after a 33 in rd 1 but stuck with him and he managed to hit back to back 100s pushing his price to 425k odd. Was a great pod that rose 150k and allowed me to get the highest averaging player of the year in Grundy. Probably on par with Lloyd as my best starting pick.

Was 50/50 with Coniglio all pre-season. Don't love starting with players that i believe wont be a top player in their position. Started Coniglio with the intention of using him as a stepping stone to Danger but with 5 115+ scores to start the year there was no way i was getting rid of him. Ended up keeping him all year for a 108 average at only 450k. Ended up being the 9th highest mid on total points

Had a few other good starting picks in Sicily, D.Smith, Heeney, Mitchell and Gawn but they were a bit more popular in rd 1 than the other guys mentioned above. In saying that, they all finished as great picks and didn't need to be traded other than Sicily so they get a mention.

On the other hand had some absolute shocking rd 1 picks. Billings, Hibberd, Petracca and Merrett all fall into this category. Billings and Hibberd both didn't leave my side in the preseason. Just lucky to have cut them both before rd 4 started. Feel sorry for those that didn't and had to deal with their **** for longer. Petracca i didn't love as a pick but needed someone in that price range to get the rookies i wanted and one of the reasons i chose him was to negate a pod that had the potential to average 100+. He wasn't a complete disaster early on but then hurt his finger and scored a couple of 40s in a row. Traded to Ronke the week he kicked 7. Wanted a pod in my midfield and Merrett was the one for me being young and averaging 108+ in his previous 2 years. Thought he could make the leap to averaging 112-115. Unfortunately got knocked out in the 1st quarter of rd 1 so got a bit unlucky there. Traded to Oliver at the end of rd 2 and gained a little over 150 points on the trade over the course of the year.

Probably my best year of trading. Got on a few pod rookies in Guelfi, Higgins and Ronke. Made a huge difference to my finishing team. Got Mclean and Gray really early before most jumped. Jumped on Danger, Simpson, Grundy and Yeo in rds 7,8, 9 and 10 for my first real upgrades which all served me great. Got Westhoff, T.Mcdonald and Franklin during the byes. Westhoff averaged 97ish, McDonald just below 90 and Franklin was a disaster of a pick but then he managed a 170 and 160 in the 1st and 3rd week of finals so he redeemed himself slightly. Couldnt have asked for much more from Kelly and Neale for the injured Treloar and Fyfe.

Had a few bad trades too but not too many. I said to my mates at the end of last year in a SC chat that if i ever got Rocky again they could all slap me. The pain he caused this year arguably outweighed the pain of any slap. I still haven't decided if i hate myself more for picking him or hate the man himself. Hurley over Crisp, Hurn and Brayshaw when Sicily went down was also a disaster. Jumped off Holman and Henry before their big games and missed out on 100k cash generation from each. Other than that don't think i can complain about too much. Got pretty lucky with injuries other than the obvious ones in Sicily, Fyfe and Luke Ryan.

One thing i do need to improve on is my VC/C selection. Cost me an easy 250 points over the year. Only landed 1 big score in the first 8 rounds with Dustys 140 in rd 4. Tried to be cute with VC selections early in the year and missed all of Mitchells big scores in rds 1-3 and then Gawns scores rds 5-8. Need to put more thought into them next year rather than choosing them on a Sunday night and not really thinking about it all week.

Self-Assessment:
7/10 for starting side, 9/10 for trades throughout the year

9.9/10 overall

Attachment

On one final note, thanks to everyone who contributed to this site over the course of the year. I don't really post much other than my weekly reviews but i try to read everything else. Cheers IDIG for organising the cash leagues and THCLT and Rowsus for all your articles before and during the year. 7 month wait until a new season of SC begins, cant come soon enough.

Bomber18

Dual Brownlow Medalist
AFL Club
Essendon
Team Name
Jibrangers

Overall Ranking: 228
Highest Ranking: 84 (R5)
Lowest Ranking: 2367 (R9)

Highest Weekly Ranking: 733
Lowest Weekly Ranking: 49,488

Highest Weekly Score: 2604 (R22)
Lowest Weekly Score: 1697 (R12)

Best Initial Selections
1. Devon Smith
2. J.Sicily
3. Titch

Worst Initial Selections
1. M.Hibberd
2. J.Billings
3. C.Petracca

1. W.Rioli as a DTP rather than Keefe as an FD (extra 200k made a big difference) and Tim English at R3
2. Not getting Roughead or Dahlhaus
3. Avoiding Ryder as R2

Best Trade:
1. Lloyd IN after his 170
2. Fyfe to Beams to free up 100k
3. NN to Grundy two games before NN got injured

Worst Trade:
1. Fritsch out at 200k (instead of LMurphy)
2. Walters and McLean in during byes (essentially trading out Trac/Billings )
3. Rocky IN

SUMMARY
My strategy is usually to be quite impulsive with trading and just backing my own assessment of players (eg: from watching games live, role changes, following the progression of stats, historical data). This was quite hit and miss this year but most importantly, the hits paid off big time with Lloyd and Grundy (and even Beams) being crucial trade ins at the right times to set up my season.

I was lucky in that for the first time, I got off to a great start. I'm very poor at judging rookies and preseason breakouts so having obvious rookies (ie: Doedee, Finlayson, Murray) and obvious underpriced premos (ie: Devon, Sicily, Cogs) really helped. Although I almost undid that good start on my own volition with some very iffy trades first up, trading out Lycett for NN and Hibberd for Lobb. Eventually, I was able to have 16 premiums for a while early on when I brought in Gray for Lobb. In hindsight, I would've been much better off holding onto Lycett and getting Grundy as an upgrade (like AllisWells did). But that was my impulsive trading at work!
My main downfall all year was trading out Fritsch prematurely. This caused my side to drop to around 2k just before the byes. Even leaving aside points lost, I had 250k less than most sides. This led to decisions like getting Rocky and Walters as I felt I needed compromises to finish my side.

Re Grundy and Lloyd, it's all very easy to say in hindsight but I did back my assessment that Lloyd had improved his DT:SC ratio and was in that Doch mould with a high ceiling after scores of 130 and 170. So I impulsively brought him in at 500k on the back of the 170 in case he never dropped that low again. On Grundy, I always felt nervous owning NN as he was giving up 30ppg weekly on Grundy. I also remember owning Grundy the previous year and him being much better in the second halves of games in the second half of the year. Pies supporters had pointed to his elite fitness allowing him to outrun tired and sore rucks late. So when the opportunity presented (with a bit of luck due to the Fyfe injury allowing me to free 100k by getting beams) I thought I had to take it (although it was definitely lineball).

Got lucky with some trades late too. Traded out Savage to Hurley during Savage's bye (which was going to be an LTI trade anyway) and a similar deal with NN to Grundy post byes. Both were luxury trades that turned out to be LTI trades that were going to have been made anyway. Sicily to Brayshaw worked out really well as did Rocky to JPK with three rounds to go (Rocky eventually missed in R23 anyway!). Only one that sucked big time was Caddy for 44 last round on the back of two 100s.

Hits this year were: R.Gray in R4, Lloyd after a 170, Grundy, Beams after bottoming out, Brayshaw

Misses were: NN&Lobb (in round 2), Walters (after a 140), Rocky after 95+ scores, Caddy (in R22 after two tons), Fritsch out (didn't see a role change coming and burning me so hard)...
McLean is technically a miss too but I couldn't have predicted such a role change and an ingame injury firsr up was just plain bad luck.

All in all, had my best season ever, finishing top 250 for the first time. (Although am somewhat disappointed to have doubled my rank with a bad trade and some late outs in the last round but that's SC!)

My main lesson learnt is probably to be a bit more patient with rookies, especially mature aged ones. Fritsch really hurt! Also, I'm now a big fan of the "donut to play" strategy as I suck with rookie trading. Having an extra chance to "hit" a good rookie was very important for me with WRioli and TEnglish making a very handy 350k.

Prochard

Deputy Vice Captain
AFL Club
Collingwood
Team Name: Team Prochard

Overall Ranking: 49
Highest Ranking: 4

Highest Weekly Ranking: 2

Best Initial Selections
1. Isaac Heeney
2. Patrick Cripps
3. Kade Simpson

Worst Initial Selections
1. Jack Billings
2. Scott Lycett
3. Christian Petracca

Best Trade:
1. Scott Lycett to Brodie Grundy early
2. Adam Treloar to Robbie Gray before Treloar's injury

Worst Trade:
1. Austin to Jimmy Webster lol
2. Austin to Jimmy Webster lol
3. Austin to Jimmy Webster lol

SUMMARY
A couple of sliding door moments:
1. I was playing another game when Tim Kelly was playing I think against GWS, saw him on like 65 at half time and forgot to loop him and kept Guelfi on the field which costed me 50 odd points. In order to catch up, I believe I traded out Zac Merrett for Tom Rockliff after Merrett's poor recent form and upcoming draw that includes a tagger pretty much every week, and then also avoided Oliver as a result of the draw implications.

2. Austin to Webster. Wow. I had a strong POD team against #1, potentially 1-2 more trades too. I wanted to make my final left field move which I had been eyeing for weeks. It was between Webster and Lloyd for me. I tried to trade in Lloyd and purposely left it till last minute because I couldn't make a decision, in the end the trade just didn't go through by like 5-10 seconds. I ended up with Webster. Webster looked ok then got injured. Then Savage got injured, then Sicily got injured. So I not only copped the difference between Lloyd and Webster for 2 weeks, but also had to play Ed Richards who avareged like 40 in the remaining 6-7 rounds. Wow did this hurt.

3. I'm still a little scared to make the calculations to see whether I would've won the whole lot had I not make these 2 human errors. Although I feel like if it is the case that I messed up a really impressive season because of 1 or 2 50-50s, not sure if I will have the interest to keep going with this game, so it's probably best that I just leave it the way it is and just move on.

Self-Assessment:
9/10 season, didn't win the whole thing, but at least won $500 from coming 2nd in the weekly contest.