Discussion Things To Occupy Our Minds In The Break.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
There will be trivia questions, observations, discussions, whatever you want.
What there won't be is talk of Covid-19 or the lockdown.
To discuss that, visit here: Covid-19 General Discussion

Please feel free to add brainteasers, trivia, suggestions for timefillers, anything to help fill the time.

If someone posts a brain teaser or trivia question, answer them in a message, so others have a chance to answer too!

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Try to answer these without the use of google, or IMDB.

Message me your answers.

What 4 things do Lance Henrikson and Bill Paxton have in common?

What surprising role does William Shatner play in the 1978 movie Halloween?

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Fibonacci Sequence can be used for what common conversion?
(1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55 .....)

Another number sequence:

0, 2, 5, 9, 14, 20, ??

is easy to see what the next number is. But what does this number sequence signify?

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Try to answer these without the use of google, or IMDB.

Message me your answers.

What 4 things do Lance Henrikson and Bill Paxton have in common?

What surprising role does William Shatner play in the 1978 movie Halloween?
Answers
Henrikson and Paxton hold a unique place in cinematic history.
They are the only actors that have been killed by all of:
An alien in the Alien series of films +
A Predator in the the Preditor series of films +
A Terminator in the Terminator series of films.
(admittedly, each of their deaths in the Terminator series was assumed)
They also starred together in the 1987 film, Near Dark.

The original Halloween film was made on a tightish budget ($325,000 - and took $47,000,000 at the box office!). Rather spend big dollars on latex technology for the Michael Myers character (the bad guy!), they bought a Captain Kirk mask, painted it white, and pulled it loosely over the actor's (Tony Moran) head. So the "face" of Michael Myers in the original Halloween film, is actually William Shatner's!

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
There are many historical things, that people take as fact, that are actually a long way from being true.
One of my favourites that people get wrong, is the first words transmitted from the moon, when Aldrin and Armstrong landed there.
History would have you believe the first transmitted words were "The Eagle has landed".
Here's what really happened.
The Eagle was running out of fuel, and it was taking longer to land than planned. If the flight went a minute or two longer longer, they wouldn't have enough fuel to get off the moon again. They were very close to aborting the whole thing. It looked like, that if they did land, they might touchdown at a greater speed than planned, and they were worried about possible damage. Those in Houston control were literally holding their breath. They had come so far, gotten so close, and still might fail! As the Eagle touched down the transmissions went:

Aldrin: Contact light
Armstrong: Shut down (they had to shut the engine down quickly, for fear of overheating)
Aldrin: Okay. Engine stop.
Houston control: We copy you down, Eagle
Aldrin and Armstrong congratulated each other, and shook hands. The tension had been palpable.
Armstrong: Engine arm is off ........ Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.

Aldin's "contact light" is refering to when probes at the bottom of the Eagle made contact with the surface, but before the legs were on the ground and stable. But they were still in contact with the moon. So take your pick.

The first words transmitted from the moon were either:

Aldrin's "contact light"
or
Armstrong's "Engine arm is off"
but they definitely weren't
Armstrong's "The Eagle has landed"!

AFL Club
Collingwood
https://squiggle.com.au/virtually-season-2020/

Virtually Season 2020
POSTED ONMARCH 25, 2020 BY MAX BARRY

Since there is no actual football, we will do the next best thing: simulate it.
With the support of the world’s best football computer models, Squiggle will play out each and every cancelled game in real-time, as if it were really happening.
Goals. Behinds. Score worms. Quarter time breaks. They will all unfold here at the exact same time the match is supposed to be played.........

.........This will continue all season long, game by game, until actual games resume. We will track a virtual Ladder and Top Eight. If, God help us, we don’t get real football back by September, we will hold virtual Finals and award a virtual Premier.

This Thursday night at 7:25pm Eastern Time, Collingwood will play Richmond in the first virtual match in real-time, here on this site. You can check in and see it happen.

How It Works
Usually models make predictions about the most likely outcome of a game (e.g. “Collingwood by 4 pts”). But they can also generate batches of simulations, where if Collingwood is a 60% win chance over Richmond, then in 100 sims, Collingwood will win 60 of them. In the other 40, Richmond will win. (In a few, unusual things might happen, like a team scoring over 120 points.)

Participating models supply Squiggle with their sims. At match time, Squiggle randomly plucks one out and unspools it in real-time. No-one knows in advance which sim it will be.

My Promise To You
This is as rigorous a process as I can make it, drawing from the work of highly talented football analysts and math wonks who created the world’s best football models.

There will be no bias or fiddling. Just hard maths and cruel random variation.

It’s not the real thing. But it’s virtually season 2020.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Fibonacci Sequence can be used for what common conversion?
(1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55 .....)

Another number sequence:

0, 2, 5, 9, 14, 20, ??

is easy to see what the next number is. But what does this number sequence signify?
Answers
As Jims Dim Sims answered, the Fibonacci Sequence can be used to approximate the conversion from miles to kilometres.
2 ml~3 km, 3ml~5km, 5km~8km etc

The next number in the series is 27. It's easy to see the numbers grow by 2, then 3, 4, 5, etc.
But what does the series signify?
The series represents the number of diagonals in a regular polygon (shape).
ie. A triangle has no diagonals. A square has 2 diagonals. A pentagon has 5 diagonals etc.
The sequence is defined by the formula:
d = (n^2-3n)/2
where n >= 3, and equals the number of sides in the polygon.
d = diagonals.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Movie trivia - no google/imdb allowed, PM/Message your answers, so others can play, too!

Movie quotes: Tell me the film, and the character who said the line:

1) Luke, I am your father.
2) Nobody puts baby in the corner.
3) We're going to need a bigger boat.
4) Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?
5) Hello, Clarice.
6) Do you feel lucky, punk?
7) Play it again, Sam.
8) I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.
9) If you build it, they will come.
10) Mrs Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?
11) My momma always said, life is like a box of chocolates.
12) Me Tarzan, you Jane.
13) Greed is good.
14) Why don't you come up and see me sometime.
15) Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
16) Live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse.