Discussion Things To Occupy Our Minds In The Break.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Footytips.com.au (ESPN) are running a poll in coming days to determine the best footballer of all time, with 4 brackets of 16 from each of Aussie Rules, League, Union and Soccer. They also have this open for predicting (voting starts Wednesday). You can read more here:

https://www.espn.com.au/espn/story/...aller?ex_cid=espnau_footy_profile_home_module

The AFL bracket is tough. First round matches are:

Leigh Matthews v Stephen Silvagni
Haydn Bunton v Graham Polly Farmer
Tony Lockett v Jason Dunstall
Gary Ablett Jnr v Adam Goodes
Bob Skilton v Ted Whitten
Gary Ablett Snr v Ron Barassi
John Coleman v Peter Hudson
Wayne Carey v Dustin Martin

Similar to the random tipping I mentioned a while back, if there's enough interest I am happy to set up a comp here to predict the bracket. I've entered my predictions, but I am not expecting to do well outside of the AFL part, as I don't even recognise some of the names.

I am a little bit annoyed there was no interest in that random tipping actually - I'm doing quite well (top 50 out of 7000+ on the site after 5 rounds) - I might have done well at something here for a change.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
How does Dustin Martin get in to the conversation of one of the top 16 footballers of all time?
100% agree. I thought there were some unusual choices/very lopsided match-ups listed, but Dusty’s name stood out the most to me.

I would have thought Danger and Buddy would be clearly ahead of him, even if they limited themselves to current players.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
https://squiggle.com.au/virtually-season-2020/

Virtually Season 2020
POSTED ONMARCH 25, 2020 BY MAX BARRY

Since there is no actual football, we will do the next best thing: simulate it.
With the support of the world’s best football computer models, Squiggle will play out each and every cancelled game in real-time, as if it were really happening.
Goals. Behinds. Score worms. Quarter time breaks. They will all unfold here at the exact same time the match is supposed to be played.........

.........This will continue all season long, game by game, until actual games resume. We will track a virtual Ladder and Top Eight. If, God help us, we don’t get real football back by September, we will hold virtual Finals and award a virtual Premier.

This Thursday night at 7:25pm Eastern Time, Collingwood will play Richmond in the first virtual match in real-time, here on this site. You can check in and see it happen.

How It Works
Usually models make predictions about the most likely outcome of a game (e.g. “Collingwood by 4 pts”). But they can also generate batches of simulations, where if Collingwood is a 60% win chance over Richmond, then in 100 sims, Collingwood will win 60 of them. In the other 40, Richmond will win. (In a few, unusual things might happen, like a team scoring over 120 points.)

Participating models supply Squiggle with their sims. At match time, Squiggle randomly plucks one out and unspools it in real-time. No-one knows in advance which sim it will be.

My Promise To You
This is as rigorous a process as I can make it, drawing from the work of highly talented football analysts and math wonks who created the world’s best football models.

There will be no bias or fiddling. Just hard maths and cruel random variation.

It’s not the real thing. But it’s virtually season 2020.
Forgot all about this until I saw an article about it on the AFL website today. Apparently from these simulations, Port would be the only undefeated team after 9 rounds. I find that hard to believe. Gold Coast winless in last is easier to believe.

I also missed one thing the first time it was posted, and that was that this was created by Max Barry. Most of you are probably unaware of him, but he is an author who previously previously created a site to promote one of his books called Nation States (nationstates.net). This site allows you to create and run your own nation, responding to issues and seeing how your choices impact your national economy, civil rights etc. I used to really enjoy that site, but haven't checked in on my nation for a few years now. Worth checking out.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Forgot all about this until I saw an article about it on the AFL website today. Apparently from these simulations, Port would be the only undefeated team after 9 rounds. I find that hard to believe. Gold Coast winless in last is easier to believe.

I also missed one thing the first time it was posted, and that was that this was created by Max Barry. Most of you are probably unaware of him, but he is an author who previously previously created a site to promote one of his books called Nation States (nationstates.net). This site allows you to create and run your own nation, responding to issues and seeing how your choices impact your national economy, civil rights etc. I used to really enjoy that site, but haven't checked in on my nation for a few years now. Worth checking out.
A revolt against the previous regime?

AFL Club
Hawthorn
A revolt against the previous regime?
Maybe. More that I got sick of it. There's over 1000 issues to respond to now I believe (it only had 30 when Max started the site), I was around long enough to see most of them and you get lots of repeats. Decent community there (if you get into a good region, some aren't great), and they have fun events around Halloween and April Fool's day especially, I just moved on.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Footytips.com.au (ESPN) are running a poll in coming days to determine the best footballer of all time, with 4 brackets of 16 from each of Aussie Rules, League, Union and Soccer. They also have this open for predicting (voting starts Wednesday). You can read more here:

https://www.espn.com.au/espn/story/...aller?ex_cid=espnau_footy_profile_home_module

The AFL bracket is tough. First round matches are:

Leigh Matthews v Stephen Silvagni
Haydn Bunton v Graham Polly Farmer
Tony Lockett v Jason Dunstall
Gary Ablett Jnr v Adam Goodes
Bob Skilton v Ted Whitten
Gary Ablett Snr v Ron Barassi
John Coleman v Peter Hudson
Wayne Carey v Dustin Martin

Similar to the random tipping I mentioned a while back, if there's enough interest I am happy to set up a comp here to predict the bracket. I've entered my predictions, but I am not expecting to do well outside of the AFL part, as I don't even recognise some of the names.

I am a little bit annoyed there was no interest in that random tipping actually - I'm doing quite well (top 50 out of 7000+ on the site after 5 rounds) - I might have done well at something here for a change.
Results are in for Rd 1:

Leigh Matthews v Stephen Silvagni - 88%
Haydn Bunton v Graham Polly Farmer - 76%
Tony Lockett v Jason Dunstall - 77%
Gary Ablett Jnr v Adam Goodes - 70%
Bob Skilton v Ted Whitten - 54%
Gary Ablett Snr v Ron Barassi - 67%
John Coleman v Peter Hudson - 57%
Wayne Carey v Dustin Martin - 66%

I managed to tip 7/8 correctly, only missed on Coleman.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Results are in for Rd 1:

wow

I wonder how many people don't even realise who Haydn Bunton was ? based on my reading he could possibly be in the top echelon ever

Skilton over Mr Football is a tough one as well.

Interesting concept.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
wow

I wonder how many people don't even realise who Haydn Bunton was ? based on my reading he could possibly be in the top echelon ever

Skilton over Mr Football is a tough one as well.

Interesting concept.
Yeah, figured it would come down to popularity and recency to an extent, Farmer is probably more well known to most people compared to Bunton as he is more recent and was in the news not too long ago when he died last year.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Results are in for Rd 1:

Interesting, on my first read I thought that Farmer and Hudson would be the only ones in the second column that I would seriously consider (not that I know the full story of all of these names). Seems like that’s not far off where it landed.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Results are in for Rd 1:

I haven't seen all these greats play at their peak, so impossible to judge, but if I was forced to pick the best of them all, It's Matthews!

Last edited: