Analysis Top 5000 Player Ownership % - Round 9

AFL Club
Bulldogs
This is one of those ones I can understand.

Couple of years of consistent scoring, including a decline last year with May taking the kick-ins off him mostly. Didn't play the main preseason game where they got smashed and looked ordinary.

Didn't set the world on fire early with 73, 122, 92 and 77 really just supporting the reasonable narrative that he is what he is.

Even after that, his huge 167 is really why he's so high, take that to a 105 and he's at ~100, still good but not something you'd chase when you can get that for less with Daniel or May at the same time. Basically chasing last weeks points is rarely a great idea (unless it's a position change).

He's been great but he's not a guy that has really made any sense to target at any point this season so can totally get him not being up there.

The back I actually find most interesting is Lloyd. He's as much of a "failed" pick as Cripps but for the factor that he's still a keeper. He's dropped 16ppg, lost 105k compared to Cripps at 13.5 and 112k and yet the psyche of him as a pick feels so much better simply because he's still a premium and clearly based on how many of the top 100 sides he's in, despite that "failed" element they've still been absolutely fine with him. In a weird way, he's a success still simply because he could afford to fall that far and still be acceptable but I don't think anyone picks him if I gave you those numbers at the start of the year or would think they'd be a good shot at winning it all if they'd picked that kind of pick!
Whilst I go along with most of that narrative on Salem it still seems surprising that virtually nobody picked him and that he never gets a mention among the big-dog defenders.
I was going to say that this anomaly would never happen with the mids, but then realised that the 2nd and 3rd highest scorers - Guthrie & Lyons - are also well down in the popularity charts😘

AFL Club
Sydney
Whilst I go along with most of that narrative on Salem it still seems surprising that virtually nobody picked him and that he never gets a mention among the big-dog defenders.
I was going to say that this anomaly would never happen with the mids, but then realised that the 2nd and 3rd highest scorers - Guthrie & Lyons - are also well down in the popularity charts😘
Very common that breakout guys get ignored the next year. Especially when they've broken out to almost land.

Salem next year will probably get ignored as well, fwiw.