Competitions Tour de France Fantasy 2023 - STAGE 21 - 115.5 KM - FLAT - Sun 23rd 11.59pm AEST

AFL Club
North Melb.
The Tour de France starts in a couple of weeks (10pm Sat 29th August) and a fantasy comp is being run on the following website.

https://fantasy.letour.fr/

I played it last year and it is a bit of fun without being too onerous.

Key Features
  • Select a team of 8 with a balance required between climbers, sprinters and allrounders.
  • You only get 8 trades for the 3 weeks so it basically a starting team comp which allows minimal changes for withdrawals and strategy. I think this is a good thing.
  • Points are awarded for stage results in all the major classifications as well as standings in each classification after each stage.
  • Teams don’t generally get finalised for the Tour until a few days before hand so you can’t really set your team up until then.
A couple of us played it last year and it seems last year‘s SCS league has carried over to this year. The league number is 9346. If you are interested and join the league then post in this thread so I know who you are.

AFL Club
Sydney
My login took me directly to the league, so for those unsure, my user is Timtam. Might change it to my name here if possible so there’s minimal confusion.

Keen for this! Didn’t realise it was still going ahead, so it is a pleasant surprise.

AFL Club
North Melb.
The following link has a quick summary of each stage and whether it is suited to the sprinters or the climbers. This is valuable information in putting your team together and planning your very limited trades.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/tour-de-france-route-192041

I would also recommend downloading the Skoda tour tracker and looking at the profile for each stage. This is an excellent app I believe.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Looks like I have got enough points from the daily quizzes to start with 50 bonus credits now, think I will need them. Just a reminder to everyone to check in once a day up until Thursday and have a go at these.

AFL Club
North Melb.
I've joined! Love me some cycling and can't believe I've never seen this before.

Just a question... do riders go up and down in price each day in this game (BE concept and all the rest)?
Or is it just fixed prices and you adjust your team a few times to pivot as we go through?

AFL Club
North Melb.
I've joined! Love me some cycling and can't believe I've never seen this before.

Just a question... do riders go up and down in price each day in this game (BE concept and all the rest)?
Or is it just fixed prices and you adjust your team a few times to pivot as we go through?
Pretty sure they don’t change. I have just looked at the rules and can see no reference to prices changing.

It doesn’t really make any sense that they do because then you would get climbers price reducing due to poor performances on sprint stages and vice versa.

AFL Club
Hawthorn

Good question. Reading through the rules it doesn't specify if prices change or not, so I assume they are fixed. Someone who played last year should be able to confirm.

Looks l like I'll have 10 trades this year, I needed 4 or 5 correct today in the quiz and got 9. Haven't watched much cycling the last 2 years, so I am a bit out of touch with who the good riders are.

AFL Club
Essendon
Good question. Reading through the rules it doesn't specify if prices change or not, so I assume they are fixed. Someone who played last year should be able to confirm.

Looks l like I'll have 10 trades this year, I needed 4 or 5 correct today in the quiz and got 9. Haven't watched much cycling the last 2 years, so I am a bit out of touch with who the good riders are.
Ah crap only got in 2 quizes!

Better nail the starting picks!

AFL Club
Brisbane
I'll have a go, I'm PIRAZZIGOAT. Bonus points to any regular Giro watchers who remember the great Stefano and his inept attempts at attacking.

In my experience this sort of game is bloody difficult. The main thing is that you don't want to pick domestiques (riders who work for others) because they're unlikely to get you many points. Ideally you want to find a balance between sprinters who'll do well on flat stages and place highly in the green jersey competition, General Classification riders and cheaper opportunists/mountain points hunters to fill your team out because it's difficult to afford many popular options without ending up with basement priced riders who have next to no chance of getting many points. I've never been much good at these things so take that advice with a grain of salt.

Haven't watched any cycling this season either, but the main thing is that it's all incredibly unpredictable as it's hard to tell who'll be in good form and who won't be- or even who will or won't ride. The biggest favourite Primoz Roglic (most recent GC results are winning the Vuelta a Espana, 3rd at the Giro, 4th at the 2018 TDF) crashed out of his last race. His teammate Tom Dumoulin (previous Giro winner and TDF podium finisher) hasn't had great results yet this season. Egan Bernal (defending champion) pulled out of his last race with a back issue, Chris Froome and Geraint Thomas aren't riding and have been replaced by Richard Carapaz (previous Giro winner but no results yet this season).

If you want to do some research procyclingstats is the place to look.
Stage Profiles: https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-france/2020/stages/all-stage-profiles
Startlist: https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-france/2020/startlist
Rider Rankings: https://www.procyclingstats.com/rankings.php

Also, despite the fact that Michael Tomolaris always wants to talk about him, you shouldn't pick Richie Porte. He will always let you down. In fact, Caleb Ewan's the probably the only Aussie worth picking.

AFL Club
West Coast
As McLovin has posted TDF fantasy is very hard and frustrating. I have played for several seasons and if you guys want I can knock up some info on my observations/experience in playing. Doesn't mean you will be come experts overnight (I certainly am not!) but happy to help if you wish.