Trade Rumours, Retirements, Delistings & Drafting

pizza safety

AFL Club
Essendon
I think that Lyons asked to be delisted based on an article I read but I'll never be able to understand why they dropped him to the NEAFL due to his poor running ability or why on earth they told him he would need to fight for his position in 2019 or be delisted then. Guy averaged 7 clearances a game in an awful midfield and seemed to be their best mid, what am I missing ?

lavenderbandit

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
West Coast
I think that Lyons asked to be delisted based on an article I read but I'll never be able to understand why they dropped him to the NEAFL due to his poor running ability or why on earth they told him he would need to fight for his position in 2019 or be delisted then. Guy averaged 7 clearances a game in an awful midfield and seemed to be their best mid, what am I missing ?
Really don't understand the direction they are heading in. I know only 1 club can win the flag each year, but most clubs over a 5 year period will at least give fans a glimmer of hope that they are improving. Just don't see this at the sun's and they have now traded away or delisted good players, don't see things getting better.

For their sake hope things change but wonder if patience runs out and we see a tassie club instead in 5 or 10 years..

Presto

100 Games Club
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They have lost 16 players (less Rischitelli that will be redrafted) for the addition of Horlin-Smith, Hombsch, C Ellis and Miles. How can they expect to draft 11 good players?

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
I guess one way of looking at all the changes is this.
Dew has realised there is not only a talent problem, but as reported last season, a big cultural problem.
Sometimes you have to go backwards 3 steps, just to take one step forward in the right direction.
It obviously sounds like Lyon was unable to do things the match committee decided he needed to, and that sounds exactly like Titchell and Sydney!
It's very hard to understand everything from the outside, and sometimes you just have to take it on face value, that the Club is right.
Admittedly, on the face value, Gold Coast is going to be worse off, on field, this season than last, but they might have realised, that things were that bad, that they had to make bigger changes now, just to be a chance to be any good in 5 years time. (sounds like Melbourne when Roos took over!)

There was a player 20 or 30 years ago, that seemed to play pretty well, but shifted Clubs about 3 times in 6 years. I remember thinking "there must be something wrong with him as a bloke, because he sure can play, but nobody wants to keep him!". It might have been Geoff Raines, but I can't be sure now.

AFL Club
Collingwood
They have lost 16 players (less Rischitelli that will be redrafted) for the addition of Horlin-Smith, Hombsch, C Ellis and Miles. How can they expect to draft 11 good players?
Leslie , Scheer , Wigg will be all re taken as rookies , so they will promote 3 of their existing rookies.

8 spots to fill.

Culture issues for years , both captains leaving , maybe Dew has been told the job is yours to change the club's culture and create your own legacy.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I guess one way of looking at all the changes is this.
Dew has realised there is not only a talent problem, but as reported last season, a big cultural problem.
Sometimes you have to go backwards 3 steps, just to take one step forward in the right direction.
It obviously sounds like Lyon was unable to do things the match committee decided he needed to, and that sounds exactly like Titchell and Sydney!
It's very hard to understand everything from the outside, and sometimes you just have to take it on face value, that the Club is right.
Admittedly, on the face value, Gold Coast is going to be worse off, on field, this season than last, but they might have realised, that things were that bad, that they had to make bigger changes now, just to be a chance to be any good in 5 years time. (sounds like Melbourne when Roos took over!)

There was a player 20 or 30 years ago, that seemed to play pretty well, but shifted Clubs about 3 times in 6 years. I remember thinking "there must be something wrong with him as a bloke, because he sure can play, but nobody wants to keep him!". It might have been Geoff Raines, but I can't be sure now.
Phil Walsh
Collingwood 1983
Richmond 1984 - 1986
Brisbane Bears 1987 - 1990

Geoff Raines
Richmond 1976 - 1982
Collingwood 1983 - 1985
Essendon 1986
Brisbane Bears 1987 - 1989

AFL Club
Collingwood
Mike Richardson
Collingwood 1983 - 1986
Essendon 1986

came from Swan Districts

looked like Tarzan , played like Jane

spent most of the time in the gym and solarium

always remember him oiled up and tanned with bleached hair playing for the Bears

AFL Club
Collingwood

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Phil Walsh
Collingwood 1983
Richmond 1984 - 1986

Geoff Raines
Richmond 1976 - 1982
Collingwood 1983 - 1985
Essendon 1986
Brisbane Bears 1987 - 1989
It might have been Adrian Fletcher, too :unsure:

Geelong 89 - 91
St Kilda 92
Brisb 93 - 97
Freo 98 - 01

Could get the pill alright, just couldn't stay at a Club!

AFL Club
Collingwood
It might have been Adrian Fletcher, too :unsure:

Geelong 89 - 91
St Kilda 92
Brisb 93 - 97
Freo 98 - 01

Could get the pill alright, just couldn't stay at a Club!
forgot about him, I remember the Collingwood ones, MacDonald and his "New Magpies" spending millions on players

Macdonald’s promise to attract the best talent saw Collingwood recruit the likes of Richmond pair David Cloke and Geoff Raines, as well as high-priced interstate players Mike Richardson, Gary Shaw and Greg Phillips, and other players of lesser note. Shaw’s transfer fee alone was more than $300,000 – the price of a half-dozen houses in some suburbs back then.

AFL Club
Collingwood
DFA

Lyon to Brisbane
Minchington to Hawthorn
Sheridan to GWS Giants

AFL Club
Collingwood
this just completely bamboozled me :)

Channel 7 News reporting that Carlton will trade #1 to Gold Coast for picks 2 and 3 , providing the Suns pick Walsh , so the Blues can pick Lukosious & Rankine (or Rozee).

So called Super 7 and Gold Coast currently have 3 picks , why on earth would they give up a pick.

??????

Blades

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Carlton
this just completely bamboozled me :)

Channel 7 News reporting that Carlton will trade #1 to Gold Coast for picks 2 and 3 , providing the Suns pick Walsh , so the Blues can pick Lukosious & Rankine (or Rozee).

So called Super 7 and Gold Coast currently have 3 picks , why on earth would they give up a pick.

??????
I have no inside knowledge, but I'm sure Carlton have been working on giving up Pick 1 for a while. I thought it was GC picks 3 & 6 that it was reported they were after....

AFL Club
Collingwood
I have no inside knowledge, but I'm sure Carlton have been working on giving up Pick 1 for a while. I thought it was GC picks 3 & 6 that it was reported they were after....
still 3 & 6 , why would Gold Coast give up the opportunity to pick up 2 players instead of 1 given that the Top 7 are all standouts.

still sounds bizarre to me

Last edited:

Blades

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Carlton
still 3 & 6 , why would Gold Coast give up the opportunity to pick up 2 players instead of 1 given that the Top 7 are all standouts.

still sounds bizarre to me
It sounds Ok from a Blues perspective (so I'm a bit biased) but it could be a win win if something along those lines happened.

For GC at the moment they have 2,3, 6, 24 and 29 with a good portion of the first 6 under either real or perceived (media beat up etc) go home factor. What if you changed it to 1,2, 24 and 29. You then have the theoretically the two best players as options.

One player so far discussed less with that go home factor has been Walsh. Long touted as one of the best, if not the best in the draft... GC looking for good midfielders (players full stop), good leaders and individuals with good culture and commitment.

Currently they probably don't have a realistic play on Walsh with their current picks and will get 3 very high profile recruits but at least 1 or 2 (from GC history and the states the players come from) are reasonably likely to return home (SA??) after their first or second contract.
Why not take an extremely safe bet on Walsh and still have the next best pick in the draft thereafter to be more speculative or otherwise.

GC may eventually agree with you that the top 7 is too good to pass up like you say, but I think they have seriously thought of trading up or down in the draft order to add additional Culture, Leadership and most importantly 'go home factor' considerations into their thinking. i.e they need a franchise player to base their team around otherwise they will never make it.

AFL Club
Collingwood
It sounds Ok from a Blues perspective (so I'm a bit biased) but it could be a win win if something along those lines happened.

For GC at the moment they have 2,3, 6, 24 and 29 with a good portion of the first 6 under either real or perceived (media beat up etc) go home factor. What if you changed it to 1,2, 24 and 29. You then have the theoretically the two best players as options.

One player so far discussed less with that go home factor has been Walsh. Long touted as one of the best, if not the best in the draft... GC looking for good midfielders (players full stop), good leaders and individuals with good culture and commitment.

Currently they probably don't have a realistic play on Walsh with their current picks and will get 3 very high profile recruits but at least 1 or 2 (from GC history and the states the players come from) are reasonably likely to return home (SA??) after their first or second contract.
Why not take an extremely safe bet on Walsh and still have the next best pick in the draft thereafter to be more speculative or otherwise.

GC may eventually agree with you that the top 7 is too good to pass up like you say, but I think they have seriously thought of trading up or down in the draft order to add additional Culture, Leadership and most importantly 'go home factor' considerations into their thinking. i.e they need a franchise player to base their team around otherwise they will never make it.
I think it might have been Bickley who said whoever GC drafted at 2,3 & 6 throw 5 year deals at them , build them all up to be key franchise players and make them want to stay and build success.

Given they lost Lynch & May I would draft the King twins at 2 & 3.

Let Carlton take whoever at 1 (Walsh) , Saints and Port can take Lukosious and Rankine , then GC can take either Smith or Rozee at 6.

Last edited by a moderator:

freowho

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think it might have been Bickley who said whoever GC drafted at 2,3 & 6 throw 5 year deals at them , build them all up to be key franchise players and make them want to stay and build success.

Given they lost Lynch & May I would draft the King twins at 2 & 3.

Let Carlton take whoever at 1 (Walsh) , Saints and Port can take Lukosious and Rankine , then GC can take either Smith or Rozee at 6.
I agree with Bickley but not necessarily to make them stay. The clubs have to play harder. If a player won't sign an extension to their contract trade them while they are still contracted and get something for them.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree with Bickley but not necessarily to make them stay. The clubs have to play harder. If a player won't sign an extension to their contract trade them while they are still contracted and get something for them.
Something needs to be done about contrract in general, too easy for a player to leave even if he has a existing contract , what ever happened to honouring it and staying put ? If they want to leave , force them to stay and play them in the reserves.

I guess when clubs are happy to ship players off though as well even if they are contracted it will contine to happen.

Maybe just have everyone on a one season performance contract.