Trade Rumours, Retirements, Delistings & Drafting

IDIG

AFL Club
Essendon
Probably just a little awkwardly priced to be worth considering in SC next year..but almost, if he ends up at GC and plays full time mid but listed as a defender in sc.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last edited:

IDIG

AFL Club
Essendon
Port have confirmed that Polec wants to be traded to North.
A bit more info on this. Makes for interesting reading.

PORT Adelaide winger Jared Polec is leaving the Power because the club took too long to offer him a contract, according to former teammate Kane Cornes.

The 25-year-old has told the Power he wants a trade to North Melbourne during the October trade period.

North Melbourne had offered a lucrative five-year contract to Polec. The Power had reportedly offered a three-year deal worth less per season than the Kangaroos deal.

Cornes said he was furious at the treatment after four clubs were sniffing around for his signature and Port hadn’t come in with a comparable offer.

“He’s filthy at the club,” Cornes said in The Advertiser. “My information is that he was after a certain figure at the start of the year, over a certain number of years, and the club wasn’t willing to hand that over to him.”

Until today, he reportedly hadn’t talk Port Adelaide about his eagerness to move to the Kangaroos.

An important aspect of the move was his desire to move to Melbourne, where his partner is originally from.
“There is a bit of a pull (to go back to Melbourne),” Polec told Ten Eyewitness News Adelaide.

“Her whole family’s from Melbourne and she (Polec’s partner Alison) has come over here to support me so there’s a little bit of an aspect for her to go home but it’s more the opportunity I have in front of me.”

Polec said he’s excited to join the Kangaroos for the next step in his career.

“They’ve got the young players and they’ve got the core group that are really good and really talented they’ve got the hard midfield and it’ll definitely make my job a lot easier sitting on the outside that’s for sure,” he said.

“They're a pretty similar team to Port Adelaide in many ways with a hard-bodied midfield and they’re the small club in the city so they’ve got a lot of aspects the same. It’s just another hard working club which I’m really looking forward to.”

News of the trade request was met with statements from both clubs.

Port Adelaide said they wished to keep Polec at the club.

“Contract talks between Port Adelaide and midfielder Jared Polec have reached an impasse,” a statement from the club read.

“Jared has indicated to the club his preference is to be traded to a Victorian club if a new agreement at Port Adelaide cannot be reached.

“Port Adelaide will continue discussions with Jared and his management team in the lead up to next month’s AFL exchange period.”

For North Melbourne, the side was thrilled to be in the box seat to snag Polec’s signature.

“Jared has indicated his intent to cross to us during the trade period, provided a deal can be reached with Port Adelaide,” North general manager of football Cameron Joyce said.

“If everything pans out, as we expect, we’d be delighted to have Jared as he will add some elite qualities to our team.

“We’ll sit down with Port Adelaide in the coming weeks and hopefully agree to a mutually beneficial trade.”

South Australian-born Polec was drafted by Brisbane in 2010 and spent three years at the Lions. He was traded to the Power for the 2014 season.

BigRuss

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Onya Polly, all the best mate. Thank Christ he had a career year this year 😂.

Gotta look after your family at the end of the day and the extra couple years on a contract makes all the difference.

Chad ain’t going anywhere this year boys, I highly doubt there are any clubs out there that would be willing to give up, or even have access to the 2 high first rounders he’s worth in a “superdraft” year.

Next year though...... everyone has their price 😁

Nathan

Best and Fairest
interesting

so does that mean Wingard ends up at West Coast as well ?

depending on which story you read , apparently Roughead wants out of the Bulldogs and the Eagles are into him in case Lycett goes.

mmm Lycett for Wingard trade plus the obligatory swap of trade picks 😀
Roughead and Trengove are not the same person.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Roughead and Trengove are not the same person.
haha what the hell was I thinking ? :) see it is silly season, any or all of 600+ players are open to a trade anywhere

face palm

I think I will just leave all the rumours alone and wait until things are done officially

Cheers

freowho

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wallis has signed back on with the dogs. I wonder if there was a ‘more midfield time’ clause in the contract.

“Wallis asked for clarification on his future role at the club at season's end before re-signing.”

Something to monitor in the preseason if Libba goes.

This is a stupid thing to ask and his manager should have advised him so. It is the coaches role to have every player on the list believe they can be the next All Australian. Competition from within the group is essential. I posted somewhere years ago about a story that Kevin Bartlett tells. Tom Hafey used to ring Bartlett up every Friday night before a game and talk to him about how important he was to Richmond winning. Bartlett thought he was pretty special until he found out years later that Hafey would ring every player in the team to tell them the same thing.
It doesn't mean Wallis won't get more midfield time next year at the Bulldogs but it will only be because it suits the coach, not because of the coach's word.

AFL Club
Melbourne
This is a stupid thing to ask and his manager should have advised him so. It is the coaches role to have every player on the list believe they can be the next All Australian. Competition from within the group is essential. I posted somewhere years ago about a story that Kevin Bartlett tells. Tom Hafey used to ring Bartlett up every Friday night before a game and talk to him about how important he was to Richmond winning. Bartlett thought he was pretty special until he found out years later that Hafey would ring every player in the team to tell them the same thing.
It doesn't mean Wallis won't get more midfield time next year at the Bulldogs but it will only be because it suits the coach, not because of the coach's word.
Spot on freo.
There's not an AFL coach worth his pay, that will guarantee any player a certain role, let alone put it in their contract!
How on Earth could you contract something like that, anyway?
What if he really stinks it up? "Oh well, I guess we have to play him there ........ it's in his contract!" :rolleyes: